Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh the days when men get old:laughing:.
I've always like having a good variety of saws, when I get tired or don't need a large saw why run it unless it's just to get it out to run it. I have quite a few that need to be out running for a short bit at least, I haven't been feeling well and if I'm not feeling well and the saws aren't run then they won 't be feeling well :(.
Hopefully I can get some run time on a few before the weekend comes.

Mate………. That’s not hot!

Weighed a full load of wood, these two pieces only just fitted into my medium size firebox.

Get a full 12hrs burn time, based on this say 2kg burn rate per hour and an efficiency of say 60%. Energy content of the wood, 25Mj per kg x 2 = 50MJ / 3600 sec x 0.6 = 8.3 kW output, about the same as my split system heat pump. Running the heat pump at 3.75 kw power consumption $0.25 per kw/hr 3.75 x 0.25 x 12 hrs = $11.25 just to run it for 12 hrs.

This is the first time I’ve actually done the math, either way I love the wood burning.

View attachment 665137

View attachment 665136

Might have to do those calcs again, Jeff. The energy content of hardwood is ~19MJ/kg.

Spruce is 21MJ/kg. Yay spruce!

It's getting hotter! The prediction for Friday is we may break the all time heat record, currently 38.5C or 101f. 56 dry days, 9 days consecutive over 30 and several more coming. Less than 10% average June and July rainfall. Britain is perspiring..... profusely.
good wood drying temps Neil. :surprised3: maybe the queen will let you cool off here. :surprised3:
depositphotos_110567730-stock-photo-the-places-of-london.jpg

Only saw that has bit me was @Just a Guy that cuts wood Jonsereds 80 I believe it was. Learned you don't grip it and RIP it with the big old saws with no decomp :yes:.
That the 801 with 240lbs compression cold.. I picked up a tractor supply D handle tried to start it like mustang mikes video it broke lol....
It looked funny with a big D ring on it anyway....... It's fun to run but it is heavy

Might have to do those calcs again, Jeff. The energy content of hardwood is ~19MJ/kg.

Spruce is 21MJ/kg. Yay spruce!

I looked it up and right you are Cowboy , either my thermodynamics text book is wrong or my memory of reading it 15 years ago is wrong, I suspect the latter. Still surprisingly a couple of bits of wood is worth a few bucks.

Here is my fenceline elm from last winter finally cut n split.

Have a little more elm and oak tops down but am struggling to get time for it. DemoDerby car engine/trans swap last week's day off. CV Axles on the Corolla yesterday.

Then daughter's bf came over late yesterday needs bearings and rotors on back of his 13 Malibu... There goes another day next week...

Still have a porch and entry on the house to tear off and shingle before another winter rolls in.

Good Times for sure!

Latest posts

Back