Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had an old articcat 300 it was a good quad. Sold it to get a Suzuki king quad 300 same exact quad but the suzuki came with front locker and 2 low range settings. Standard low and pull the house off the foundation ultra low. Never understood why the cat didn't have those parts being a rebadged king quad.

It was probably an AC differential. AC likes to use some of their own parts on tech swaps. Currently on the snowmobiles with the Yamaha motors they were using some of their own clutches and electronics.

Jealous of some of the big woodlots/cutting areas some of you guys have. Conscious of when I run the saw. Neighbors on all sides....the 262 did feel super fast in the maple though:)
I try to be considerate in town. The ported saw will probably stay home from now on since the 7910 makes much less noise.

I try to be considerate in town. The ported saw will probably stay home from now on since the 7910 makes much less noise.

I think most people are pretty understanding. The one thing I try to do is get all the cutting done quickly and organise things so the cutting is done in one hit so there's no stopping and starting saws over the course of the day.

Last night we torched all of the smaller rounds that were moveable.

So I turned this...
094E05BB-69F5-4D6B-86A0-D2E4E31D4B50.jpeg

Into this:
8E603F17-CE44-40A1-8CC8-C47654E11CFF.jpeg

Had 4 rounds to go and the saw lost power and wanted to die. I pretty much knew it was this...
FEE3C3B9-9CE8-4360-9EE5-EE57F399D691.jpeg

It’s an 11 year old Poulan 3516 that already had a broken brake band. So basically not worth fixing unless I can find a free donor saw.

What do you guys think? Overheated or air leak? Only transfer is on the mag side of the exhaust port.

Last night we torched all of the smaller rounds that were moveable.

So I turned this...
View attachment 665787

Into this:
View attachment 665785

Had 4 rounds to go and the saw lost power and wanted to die. I pretty much knew it was this...
View attachment 665786

It’s an 11 year old Poulan 3516 that already had a broken brake band. So basically not worth fixing unless I can find a free donor saw.

What do you guys think? Overheated or air leak? Only transfer is on the mag side of the exhaust port.

Question. Is cottonwood ashy? I'd burn anything that doesn't make a big mess, even if it doesn't rate on the BTU charts. I'd just be chucking in bigger bits.

Steve, it is a heat failure, hard to know if it is the result of a leak w/o a pressure test, but do that before attempting any repair. IMO, this should not happen no matter how old, etc. Something went wrong for that to happen.

I was milling with my ported MS 710 in my back lot, and I did get comments from the neighbor's that it was loud. Next time I used a 066 with less aggressive muff mod.

Steve, it is a heat failure, hard to know if it is the result of a leak w/o a pressure test, but do that before attempting any repair. IMO, this should not happen no matter how old, etc. Something went wrong for that to happen.

I was milling with my ported MS 710 in my back lot, and I did get comments from the neighbor's that it was loud. Next time I used a 066 with less aggressive muff mod.

Here’s the synopsis:
It was about 75 degrees yesterday. Saw was in good tune. Good gas and oil. I was on the third consecutive tank of fuel yesterday doing noodling (cottonwood rounds from 20-30 inches) so certainly could be either just heat in general or heat caused by air leak. Chain was sharp so not being excessively overworked.

As I mentioned the saw is 11 years old and almost certainly has been run by inexperienced users (ie operated with dull chain)

Question. Is cottonwood ashy? I'd burn anything that doesn't make a big mess, even if it doesn't rate on the BTU charts. I'd just be chucking in bigger bits.
It’s not bad to burn, just doesn’t burn long at all. Once cottonwood is dry it feels like balsawood.

These trees are cut within a firewood quarantine area and are just being used to burn out stumps on the lot. Too big to process without a hydro and virtually impossible to get a hydro down to them.

Here’s the synopsis:
It was about 75 degrees yesterday. Saw was in good tune. Good gas and oil. I was on the third consecutive tank of fuel yesterday doing noodling (cottonwood rounds from 20-30 inches) so certainly could be either just heat in general or heat caused by air leak. Chain was sharp so not being excessively overworked.

As I mentioned the saw is 11 years old and almost certainly has been run by inexperienced users (ie operated with dull chain)

It failed when you were using it, that damage was likely not already there (unless the rings were still free).

Sounds like either an air leak, or you Hi screw on the carb adjusted on it's own. Happens when the springs under the screw get old. Check the setting to see where it is at.

Latest posts

Back