Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Talk to @Poleman about the carb work see what he says. @MillerModSaws seems to crank out some badass ported dolmars. If I decide to have the 7910 done that's probably were it would go.
Carl does great work, I like both the 7910's I have that he did and I've liked everything that he's done work to that passed thru my hands. Rich does some nice carbs, I have two on 7910's also.
Here you go James:chainsaw:.

If it just needs out of the way I have space for it :yes:.

I've noticed that also. The isocore comes out much more often in big oak. The big locust I got with Steve last year was no problem with just the axe.

It is Fiskar's fodder for sure and the drier it gets, the easier it splits.

Since you can ask questions in this thread without having your head handed to ya I’m looking for input. My plan this year was to save up and have another 590 ported, but since I couldn’t contain myself like a little kid I have that 9010 coming from Greece next week. Going to see Nate and get a 36” bar. Now I’m thinking I should have the 9010 ported. 99% of the time it will only be used to buck the big oaks and maples that get given to me. Before you ask, most of these big (for me) trunks are 24”-48” and straight up to 45-60’. @CJ Brown also suggested have the carb souped up. Input?
Yes we won’t rip your head off but you won’t get much sense out of us...... we’re just gona say port both of them. :)

I cant even walk across the yard for the mud much less get the tractor out. Im jealous.
lucky to have a stone driveway right up to the wood splitting area but even at that it's stihl sloppy. tractor hasn't gone more than 25 yards in either direction from the splitter.

View attachment 713736 Got up to my spot today and brought home a load of oak. Had a few moments I didn't think i was gonna get up the hill. And a few even sketchier moments come back down where the rear wanted to try to swap ends with the front. Probably won't try it again till it re freezes or dries up some.
need to fill that ford up for better traction. you probably need to go to the @Logger nate how to load firewood in a ford class.:laugh:

Welcome to Michigan lol.
And now the wind is kicking after a day of rain, temps dropping and the snow is starting :crazy2:.
Crazy week so far and it ain't over yet.
I had to crawl through my trunk yesterday to get the car doors open. I'm too old for that crap! ;)
Starting in 4wd just means when you do get stuck you'll need a second vehicle to get you out :lol:.
That's how we judged who had the best 4x4. It was whoever got stuck furthest from home.

need to fill that ford up for better traction. you probably need to go to the @Logger nate how to load firewood in a ford class.:laugh:
Theres enough there in splits to have filled it and then some. Started raining and I wasn't waiting for conditions to get worse.

I’ve got 3-4 in my backyard that I want gone. Just wondering if I should save for the stove or campfire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm the resident wood snob, nothing but Oak, Cherry or Locust go in my stove. Several summers ago we had a fire ban on, and I cut down 3-4 pretty big one's. They were right next to my wood shed, so I split and stack them. I was surprised, it burned OK if you don't mind filling the stove every couple hours. Started easy, burned hot and fast. Didn't leave much ash. If I cut anymore down I'll drag them down to the burn pile and wait for the burn ban to pass.

Don’t know if this work for ya but if you or the missus is an Amazon Prime member there are 42” Oregon bars on Amazon in the $85-$95 US range with free shipping.
Thanks. Nobody here is an Amazon Prime member. While looking around, I did find comstock logging have some great deals on smaller Tsumura bars if anyone is interested. Most are .050 gauge but a few .058 and .063 too:
http://www.shopcomstocklogging.com/Tsumura-Bars-Tips_c_438.html
They also have the 42" Power Match bars for $93. Left Coast Supplies has them at about $91 and I like dealing with Gregg so will probably go that route.

I'm battered and bruised this morning even though I never took the impact from anything yesterday. Legs were cramping walking out of that gully. Chest muscles were cramping. My tummy one-pack is sore this morning too. Could barely change gears on way home.
Talk about an all over body workout boot-camp for fat buggers. Did I mention that gully is steep? Put it this way, not willing to leave the ugliest stump this side of, well, the black stump, I cut it level. On the uphill side it's 3" from the ground. On the downhill side it's over 6 1/2 '. I seriously need to learn how to springboard with confidence in this sort of ground with these sort of trees. Just kinda hard trying to squeeze a lifetime of learning into a few years.

I've always wanted a light and tough Tsumura 42" but they don't go above 36". Sugi do however, but I'd have to sell the new phone I bought on Amazon the other day to raise a deposit for the bar.

Back