Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool. Will you use them for just the posts, or mill some for the slats/panels.
I plan on harvesting some longer(20'x6-8" or so) black locust sticks to put under my shed to move it. Then I will use some larger 10-14" to set it on with concrete patties under them at about 4". I just did some cleaning up in that area of the woods this week, but I will have to move all my junk from behind the shed to move it, then I will need to move a lot of dirt to all around it and under it. Lots of work, but it will add more somewhat level ground to the back yard and should look great when finished.
Tell me about level ground. If I trip and fall down, I'm liable to wind up in the next county.

Tell me about level ground. If I trip and fall down, I'm liable to wind up in the next county.
Trust me I feel your pain. So much so I was hesitant to say anything considering how level our ground is compared to so many others.
The other thing is I didn't want to get put ignore for being insensitive to others :innocent:.
As I've said before these are times for us to pull together and find common ground we can all meet on, whether that ground is level or not :).

Trust me I feel your pain. So much so I was hesitant to say anything considering how level our ground is compared to so many others.
The other thing is I didn't want to get put ignore for being insensitive to others :innocent:.
As I've said before these are times for us to pull together and find common ground we can all meet on, whether that ground is level or not :).
Well, we can all meet at my fire pit. I have 2"X24"X10' live edge benches, fridge within walking distance, full of adult beverages. I know at least 16 guys can stand around the pit. Just don't get to laughing too hard, if you bump into the guy behind you, he might wind up in the next county. But, I'll throw him a line and help pull him back up.

My neighbors ankle has some permanent tendon damage. His ankle sends him rolling on a regular basis. He refuses to wear a brace but seriously gets scarey. He is state trained so always sets the brake when he shuts down to drag brush ECT. Yet sometimes I wonder.

Well, we can all meet at my fire pit. I have 2"X24"X10' live edge benches, fridge within walking distance, full of adult beverages. I know at least 16 guys can stand around the pit. Just don't get to laughing too hard, if you bump into the guy behind you, he might wind up in the next county. But, I'll throw him a line and help pull him back up.
Sounds like a great time, of course I mean watching a bunch of drunk guys roll into the next county :drinking::laughing:.

I am about ready to give up. Spent 2 weeks building a dog lot. Dig a hole for a post and then wait for the rain to stop. Dig another hole and it rains again. Finally got the lot built so the dogs and the wife are happy. Started cleaning up the shop. Nothing in it so good time to pressure wash and repaint the floors. Did I mention the previous owner had used epoxy concrete paint. Worse product for a concrete floors ever. Pressure washer brought it up in sheets that looked like pulling dead skin off a healing wound. Now that junk is everywhere on the asphalt driveway. I will have to pressure wash the whole driveway to get rid of it. took 2 days to pressure wash the shop, probably take a week to get the drive way clean. To dry the floor for new paint I lit up a propane heater and left it going overnite. Wrong. The next morning there was so much condensation dripping from the metal roof I needed an umbrella just to stand inside the building. Removed the heater and left the doors open and swept water, and swept water, and swept water, trying to get the floor dry enough to use some crack filler in a few places. There was so much moisture coming up thru the floor, the crack sealer, which is supposed to dry to touch in 30 minutes, was still very liquid the next day. Finally decided to take the weed burner and throw some serious heat at the places in the floor that just wouldn't dry. I had the concrete so hot it started popping, but 5 minute later, the spots would be wet again. I kept at it and finally had the floor dry enough to paint. The previous owner had left 2 unopened gallons of that blasted floor epoxy and being the stupid tight wad that I am, I decided to mix it up and just use it. First coat took a while as the floor was really soaking it up. When it dried enough to walk on, I went ahead and applied a second coat. Looked good and I was proud, it was a lot of work, but it was done. I let it dry a couple days and decided to start bring in my tools. The heavy stuff first. Last thing on my trailer was my cherry picker. We used my brother FEL to load the trailer and I would need the picker to unload a lot of the tools. Backed the trailer in the shop and dropped the tailgate. Damn epoxy rolled up. After dragging tools around, the floor looks like it did before I started. I have decided to just live with it. In the past when painting a concrete floor, I have always used behr concrete stain. My last shop floor didn't have a scratch in it and I dragged, dropped, and spilled, more things on that floor than any normal person ever should. Pressure washer never flaked or peeled it up. Tomorrow, If it don't rain, I plan on moving my tool boxes and hand tools. I also have a 12x20 building I will be moving here to store things in. Probably be mostly wood working tools and my reloading bench. I will probably hold a yard sell to get rid of a bunch of stuff I no longer need or use, or just don't want to store. Did I mention its raining,,,again.

and we are now locked down for all pubs, cafes, clubs, bars, gyms, cinemas, thetres, leisure centres nation wide, london transport is for essential workers only.....next step I guess is curfew. Some people still don't get it though.
Hence the problem, not to hard to stay at home no matter were you are in todays age, just gotta resist the urge to head out. People are still hoarding toliet paper..........well hopefully it gives a boost to the pulp and paper industry.

Son dropped by today. We played with his new Ruger truck gun.
img20200320_200828.jpg
He was concerned the 12ga was to unwieldy for home defense purposes. So he left me this cheap 45.
img20200320_200756.jpg
Pretty sure the bad actors won't get past the cat but... Its all good.

Pretty good day in all. Always good to see him!

20200320_203119.jpgGrabbed this today from the family stash. Wood stocks don't attract attention like black plastic. 20200320_195048.jpgThen I saw this and thought theres guys on the forum that will appreciate this. My grandfather's uniform. I ask him how many guys he thought still had there uniform and his response was there aren't many of us left so not many.

Geesh, its near as bad as all your fears of black bears
Running low on ammo today, oh well.
View attachment 808957
I don't think its all that bad yet. But there was a shooting acrossed the street from the jail he works at recently. That and all the addicts we I mean non violent offenders they kicked out... The potential for issues is pretty real. Especially with the meth drive in service er I mean park just down the road here.

I don't think its all that bad yet. But there was a shooting acrossed the street from the jail he works at recently. That and all the addicts we I mean non violent offenders they kicked out... The potential for issues is pretty real. Especially with the meth drive in service er I mean park just down the road here.
Yep nothing to do with Covoid, just crappy societal problems.
One hell of a storm here tonight (nope not the ex), should be a good scrounge day tomorrow!

Well, after a few months of keeping my eyes open, I finally scored one of my holy-grail saws: an MS 200T.

Came from an older fella who works for a local Stihl dealership. Has new OEM piston, cylinder, muffler, and carb. $500 CAD. Runs well. I'm excited to take it for my next casual stroll in the woodlot.
IMG_0564.jpeg

Back