Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep.
Although there were many other diseases passed around :oops:.
I read the text of 6666 this morning. Thankfully it has only been introduced/submitted. They submit bills all the time that go no where. So, I'm hoping this is one of those.
Did you see who introduced it and who is supporting it, there is surely an agenda, also not the $100,000,000,000 they want for the implementation and more to come. It's also already being "tested" in Ventura Cali. Many job postings hiring people to do the dirty work going door to door, military experience helpful/desired ;).

Thanks!
That looks like a nice mill, thanks for the info. Would like something like that some time but don’t have a very good way to move logs on to it. Been wanting something little better more efficient than what I have but still portable and low to the ground so I actually just ordered one of these https://www.norwoodsawmills.com/en_us/portamill-pm14
Wanting something for making D logs also and my panther mill doesn’t work well for that.
Sure would be nice to have one of those, seem to be a good value.
Maybe I could borrow/rent it from you lol.

We have a logger across the street I think should do this, he drives 3-5 hours each day, getting to the job and back.
I loved staying out there, dreaded coming to town on weekends and town was only 2000 people and not near as busy as here. We would shoot ground squirrels, shed hunt, watch the elk and deer, cut wood, drive the back roads, best time of my life. Drove an hr+ each way in winter sometimes but camped out as much as possible.

Sure come on over, use it anytime :) . Been looking and wanting to try one for a long time. Really like the simplicity, low to the ground, and being away from the exhaust/noise, and price. Watched lots of videos and read what I could find and just now today realized that it probably can’t be used with captive bar nuts and wrap handles:confused:. Guess we’ll see ... might have to buy another saw for it now....,darn it, lol.

Sure come on over, use it anytime :) . Been looking and wanting to try one for a long time. Really like the simplicity, low to the ground, and being away from the exhaust/noise, and price. Watched lots of videos and read what I could find and just now today realized that it probably can’t be used with captive bar nuts and wrap handles:confused:. Guess we’ll see ... might have to buy another saw for it now....,darn it, lol.
Thanks, maybe I will, been looking at trucks quite a bit. Found a rust free 2000 f250 4dr with the v10 and just over 100k for a fair price, not sure I want to spend that much, so I may make a trip to Oregon and back, your right on the way lol.
The guy is using a 661 in their video isn't he?, seems like it would be pretty east to remove to sharpen or tighten the chain. Sorry if I'm ruining your plan for a new saw, that's not my intention :laughing:.
You gonna buy a 22" bar for it lol.
So are you supposed to mainly use it on smaller logs, or can you quarter saw larger logs?
There was a guy up here ho had one for like 1500, it included a very clean 066, I tried a few times to get the saw off him, to no avail.

I was going to mention wudpirat as well. I saw him 'like' a post maybe 1.5-2 years ago though he hadn't posted in a fair while prior to that. I guess there's a good chance he's passed by now, he'd be mid-eighties.

Actually, I just had a look at his profile, says he had a pacemaker put in. That should have put an end to his scrounging, cardiologists don't like you using chainsaws if you have a pacemaker - risk of a spark sending it haywire.
I work in Electrophysiology (EP) - we put pacemakers in people (and defibrillators). It's not the spark that's the problem. It's the moving your arms around and hefting a chainsaw. The first three months after implant, the leads are still 'healing' and have a higher risk of dislodging. Raise your arm up above your shoulder with fresh leads in and, if you are dependent on that little box under your skin, those leads dislodge and the lights go out... Now welding is a completely different ballgame. Tons of RF interference.

Sometimes when an older patient gets a pacer, they have other health problems that force them to stop running a saw. With help, they can run the splitter or haul the trailer but sometimes just humping a few logs into the trailer or pickup bed is enough to get them pretty wiped out.

I work in Electrophysiology (EP) - we put pacemakers in people (and defibrillators). It's not the spark that's the problem. It's the moving your arms around and hefting a chainsaw. The first three months after implant, the leads are still 'healing' and have a higher risk of dislodging. Raise your arm up above your shoulder with fresh leads in and, if you are dependent on that little box under your skin, those leads dislodge and the lights go out... Now welding is a completely different ballgame. Tons of RF interference.

Sometimes when an older patient gets a pacer, they have other health problems that force them to stop running a saw. With help, they can run the splitter or haul the trailer but sometimes just humping a few logs into the trailer or pickup bed is enough to get them pretty wiped out.

You should have seen the look in my PT's eye's when I asked if their fancy Tens machine was a problem with a pacemaker after it running for a few minutes .
"You never indicated that you had a pacemaker on any paperwork !" she said with eyes wide open and a panicked look .
I said "I don't , was just wondering ..." with a smile .

:laugh:

And that, ladies and gentlemen is the genesis of the SEC - Scroungers Equipment Co-op. In 10 years time we'll have a fleet of equipment on multiple continents and then all be fighting over it at the same time...

And that, ladies and gentlemen is the genesis of the SEC - Scroungers Equipment Co-op. In 10 years time we'll have a fleet of equipment on multiple continents and then all be fighting over it at the same time...
It does surprise me that, on here at least, it seems few guys share kit. I'd have thought things like a tractor, splitter and mill could be easily shared and worked much more cost effectively by neighbours or family ... Saws,... Maybe less so,.. To personal!

Back