Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Turned the pile I posted further up the page into a cord of splits.

I’m finally starting to get into splitting shape. Did the whole cord with the x25 and S2800 with only a couple quick water breaks. I’ve done 3.5 cords in the last 8 days so getting the rhythm and strength back. Those first few were brutal.

E829718E-1721-4ADA-981F-0A2DC08C6FDB.jpegA6753F6A-9CC3-4E06-8EBE-C6121E86E4FD.jpegA0CB59D1-ABC6-42D8-90E3-AE5310F3A756.jpeg

Nice work! Feels good to give back, doesn’t it?

Is that a tree suspended right next to the trail behind your moped, or optical illusion?

My son in front of a tree across a 4WD trail on a pre clearing scouting trip. I’m the one that cut it out of there when we came back in vehicles.
A1BA6FED-90A5-45F8-AA81-DB14D9A2E1F1.jpeg

Nice work! Feels good to give back, doesn’t it?

Is that a tree suspended right next to the trail behind you, or optical illusion?

My son in front of a tree across a 4WD trail on a pre clearing scouting trip. I’m the one that cut it out of there when we came back in vehicles.
View attachment 827007
Thanks. Yes it does, been wanting to do some trail clearing for awhile.
Dang! That’s a big tree! What kind?
Optical illusion.

How did you carry the saw? I’ve put them in backpacks before, seen the Forest Service do it too.
Yep086DBD71-038E-42FB-AE4D-7C556802E61E.jpeg
Really want to get a rack for the motorcycle though so I can take the 550, the little echo is nice but would run out of gas if you had to do much, used 3/4 of a tank for these two cuts. Really want a front rack but all the ones I’ve found so far can’t be used with a head light.

Dang! That’s a big tree! What kind?

Is lodgepole pine the only one that the grain twists like this? It is as far as I know. There’s a reason it’s called pinus contorta. It’s mostly lodgepole at that elevation, but there are a few jeffrey pine too. And a few places the elevation dips, there are red fir. In other words I’m not sure what it is, there are lodgepole around it.

14B3971E-93A3-46C1-977B-2CE28781D57A.jpeg

You can see a little of the bark in this shot too. MS461 didn’t blink...
6BD4D0E2-86A3-436E-8F6D-0D181444B8CC.jpeg

Is lodgepole pine the only one that the grain twists like this? It is as far as I know. There’s a reason it’s called pinus contorta. It’s mostly lodgepole at that elevation, but there are a few jeffrey pine too. And a few places the elevation dips, there are red fir. In other words I’m not sure what it is, there are lodgepole around it.

View attachment 827009

You can see a little of the bark in this shot too. MS461 didn’t blink...
View attachment 827010
I’ve seen ponderosa pine twist like that, that’s what I thought it was. I’ve never seen lodge pole near that big but it could be.
Nice work! Did you happen to measure it?

Back