Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went for a jog this afternoon with my favourite daughter, was a beautiful arvo for a run down along the river.

The old man has found a new scrounge location.

18th May 1.jpg

These are fire damaged trees or condemned trees that the local authorities salvaged. Trunks only, all eucalypt hardwood and as you can see, all straight as you like (some partly singed). They have laid them all out on an area about the size of a football field and opened it up to anyone who wants to scrounge. Only about 15km from my parents' place. I'd be out there every day.

Busy day today. Have to get my son to the dentist which finally opens today. Then back to work, to the chiropractor, back to work, and finally clean out the half of the garage so I can put away the snow plows and snowmobile. I hadn’t put them away yet because I needed the straight plow to help grade the new gravel.

I've recently started selling some firewood. I've scrounged up maple, elm, cottonwood, and some burr oak. Not sure if I'll be able to sell the cottonwood or oak since the oak seems somewhat green and the cottonwood was on the ground down at the campground. If you can get to know your county park Ranger, he/she should be able to point you towards any wood pile at the county parks. I've been learning a lot from this thread and thankful for the info.

My post was meant to be a reply to this.

Help identifying this tree at the log yard. Lt. Gray bark. The bark peeled off when fresh cut exposing a pale lemon yellow surface. Fades as seen in first photo.
Heartwood is a light brown (this is wet). Smells kind of sweet when I cut a chunk off. Don't know if it's maple; none like I've seen. Pretty heavy too although it's wet.

IMG_9472.JPGIMG_9473.JPGIMG_9474.JPG

Wow, Northern Tool has become such a disappointment. Their accessories are nearly double of what the other local competitors are charging.
NT has always charged close to manufacturer's list price for accessories. Like electronics stores that sold computers cheap, but gouged you on needed cables, ink, etc. Just a business model.

In your area, that store where 'You Save BIG Money' consistently has the lowest retail prices on Oregon chain and accessories, even when they are not on sale or 11% rebate. Even beat many online vendors. I get Oregon depth gauge files and the depth gauge tools there, in a 'blister pack' for less than many places sell the files by themselves.

Philbert

NT has always charged close to manufacturer's list price for accessories. Like electronics stores that sold computers cheap, but gouged you on needed cables, ink, etc. Just a business model.

In your area, that store where 'You Save BIG Money' consistently has the lowest retail prices on Oregon chain and accessories, even when they are not on sale or 11% rebate. Even beat many online vendors. I get Oregon depth gauge files and the depth gauge tools there, in a 'blister pack' for less than many places sell the files by themselves.

Philbert
Menards chains up here have been retail for the past few years. I did buy a file and guide as well as a gallon of bar oil from them today.

Back when I lived in the cities they often had awesome deals. Fleet Farm had great deals too. FF was especially competitive on bar/chain combos.

Menards chains up here have been retail for the past few years. . . .. Fleet Farm had great deals too. FF was especially competitive on bar/chain combos.
Surprised that they are not more uniform in pricing. I know that there can be differences between their on-line and store pricing: some times the store prices are better!

Mill's Fleet Farm sold to a large holding company a few years back. Lots of changes. Blains, Running's, L&M, etc. each have their own niches, even though similar. TSC doesn't do much for me.

Although ironically Menards is still selling Jonsereds. Weren’t they discontinued two years ago now?
Jonsered name is still used by Husqvarna on a number of products, including some lawn care stuff I have seen at Costco. probably rebadged Husky or Poulan products, I assume. Just a marketing thing.

Philbert

The Jonsered saws they are selling are definitely old stock. One wonders how many they had in warehouses if they are still stocking a product that ceased production months ago.
I assume that they are making them for certain markets. Just like their Poulan, Red Max, McCulloch, . . . . models.

Philbert

Latest posts

Back