Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well shucky darn. That didn't go well either. Got the battery back to the mower and then found I was missing one of the battery bolts. I had dug the car keys out of the pocket to get in the trunk where the chainsaw gas oil was. Bolt must have come out with the keys. Add 'get bolt' to the to-do list for tomorrow.

Fixed....I hope. No go on the recharged battery, still dead after a couple hours on charger. Took it to the dealer down the road 1/2 mile and test showed it was bad. IIRC it has been on the mowere many years. Ran to town for a new battery. They were out but promised a new one would be there at about 7am tomorrow.

I didn't buy one from the dealer because of the raping they gave me last yiear for annual service. Lube, oil, clean deck, etc. plus 1 new belt and a gasket. $454 Pape Machinery.

I've been out of communication recently. The old man (Cowdad) blew his back out and as the family physio, I made the 4 hour drive over the mountains on Friday night after work to try to sort things out. Also, he had some rounds that he had cut with his new 241 and also a trailer load of rounds that had initiated the back-blowing-out on Thursday (he spent Thursday night in hospital because he couldn't move). I came prepared with monkey saw and all my gear. In the event, it was just the Fiskars that was needed to turn the trailer full, plus this...

View attachment 835923

after some fiskaring ... into this

View attachment 835924

I like to lean in the crib ends. I have found that with shorter splits, they are more likely to fall out the ends if you don't lean them in a bit. This way, the stack falls in on itself as it dries out. I brought Cowdad back with me today for further treatment through the week and hope to deliver him home (with a Ranger load of dry peppermint) next weekend. He's much better now, too.

:)
Did you get to compare saws?

Yesterday I made a Hickory top for my Table saw bench, and on Sat went hiking with the Grandkids and Scouts on the NY/CT border.
Had that same design saw for years. Was a Ryobi I bought cheap for one job but liked it so much kept it. So light can easily throw in back of the ute to take to jobs bolted router to the hole in the table for it a few time too. It eventually fell apart but ill never forget the hungry mongrel. It sure did a power of cutting for me and took more than its fair share of abuse.

Just a few pics from today. Had to take down a dead standing Ash with a heavy lean. 50 foot of tree. Dragged it out of the brush with the Beast (7.5 L F 250).
bfd415aa21f036c0890ccbbb7a337c4a.jpg

0b661d83c142ee9f8a8da9a5256b7b21.jpg

08419dba59131d1ffde4afa98d3168fa.jpg

fd80c18f9a2520f4f2d38bed3fd98134.jpg

66db7c1eeab7d20132fc3c3aa39b5763.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

174f212b73a8274d39c16c2fb79e6dce.jpeg

Took down 8 Ash trees at the hospital my brother works at. Trailered them home to my woods to cut, split, & stack this fall. Had plenty of help. I’m in the center of this pic. Might go back for more, as there are about a dozen more standing dead Ash trees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do this as well. I also try to tie in the crib with the regular stack by putting flat pieces with a little bit of "bite" on the crib pieces that point into the stack. Still not a perfect science but usually works.

Unfortunately with larger pieces of softwood I rarely have the nice square splits that make great cribs.

I'm dealing with short splits so I also know the problem of unstable stacks. This year I've done my end crib retainer double thickness and boy does it feel solid...at the moment. I also try to do as Steve suggests and tie the crib into the stack

I left my trailer at my buddies house where we cut all the trees. They loaded it up today and I picked it up this evening. Poplar and some ash. The poplar will hopefully get sold as campfire wood, if not I'll burn it in the shoulder season.
43bbad764cb041e106ea317a32de4e27.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Delivered 1/2 cord of last year's wood to someone who wants it for summer fires for the kids, then dropped, bucked and limbed another Red Maple.

Decided to only use one saw, so the MMWS 462 with 20" light bar got the call … it is the perfect "one saw" for both limbing and bucking.

The trunk was almost exactly the max diameter the 20" bar would cut.

Attachments

• IMG_20200616_104714139_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200616_104714139_HDR.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20200616_104722575_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200616_104722575_HDR.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 16
Made another new new best friend today like a few others have this week and got some scrounged wood delivered. Tree service was working half mile down the road and had a truck filled and working on filling a dump trailer. So I stopped to suggest my yard as a drop off. Stood there for a minute until the boss man saw me. He stopped and came right over and was happy to take my offer. Another truck load coming today plus he wanted my number for future work in the area.
20200616_124918.jpg
Oh there he is again with the rest of it in the middle of my post.
20200616_140346.jpg

I didn't buy one from the dealer because of the raping they gave me last yiear for annual service. Lube, oil, clean deck, etc. plus 1 new belt and a gasket. $454 Pape Machinery.

Well, at least they used lube and oil.

Did you get to compare saws?

I put the first tank through Dad's new saw six months ago and it was a far cry from the MMWS 241 but it wasn't a fair comparison. Not run in and came with semi-chisel chain. I had specifically asked for RS for it when I bought it but the dealer cocked it up. The only RS chain they had in .325 for an 18 inch bar so I asked him to get in two RS chains for the 16 inch bar. No worries, he said. Then I get the call that they are in and I go there to find that he has ordered in two more chains for an 18 inch bar. Dumbass :buttkick:.

So Dad's saw is stihl sporting semi-chisel. The saw should be run in now so when it gets its proper chain I'll be able to line them up and compare.

Made another new new best friend today like a few others have this week and got some scrounged wood delivered. Tree service was working half mile down the road and had a truck filled and working on filling a dump trailer. So I stopped to suggest my yard as a drop off. Stood there for a minute until the boss man saw me. He stopped and came right over and was happy to take my offer. Another truck load coming today plus he wanted my number for future work in the area.
View attachment 836260
Oh there he is again with the rest of it in the middle of my post.
View attachment 836265
What wood is the 2nd photo?

Latest posts

Back