Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's awesome Joe, not the feeling rough part, but getting some nice fish.
How did the truck do power wise pulling that beast of a boat :oops:, looks like it handles the weight fine.
We were at about 2 feet above sea level and flat as a pancake. The truck never felt the weight. The ramp is pretty steep and I put the axle lock on and it pulled it out no problem. The triple axle has most of the weight. I don't know what the Cat weighs. But, my other buddy's 30' Contender weighs about 7000, and I would think the twin axle trailer would be lighter than the triple. I think he said the twin is about 2K, 9,000 total on the Contender. I'm pretty sure that both boats are over my GVW. With surge brakes and proper following distance I think this truck would have no problem towing either of those boats anywhere I wanted to go. My neighbor has a 28 Mako that hasn't been in the water since the second year he had it. It was a beautiful boat, but he hasn't washed it once since he parked it. Two years ago he took the tarps off and had it serviced with hopes of fishing it the following spring. Dumped a couple thousand dollars into it getting old fuel pumped out, the injectors on the twin 250 Mercs rebuilt, then blew the Cummin's in his Ram 2500 up. Had to buy a new truck, now he can't afford to take the boat out. I'd love to buy it, but he never fished it offshore and I'd probably have to put 10K worth of electronics in it, new tires, serviced again. He doesn't realize how much damage letting a boat like that sit does to it. He paid $90,000 for it 12-15 years ago. The same boat today is $148,000. I'm just not in the pay grade to own a big boat.

We were at about 2 feet above sea level and flat as a pancake. The truck never felt the weight. The ramp is pretty steep and I put the axle lock on and it pulled it out no problem. The triple axle has most of the weight. I don't know what the Cat weighs. But, my other buddy's 30' Contender weighs about 7000, and I would think the twin axle trailer would be lighter than the triple. I think he said the twin is about 2K, 9,000 total on the Contender. I'm pretty sure that both boats are over my GVW. With surge brakes and proper following distance I think this truck would have no problem towing either of those boats anywhere I wanted to go. My neighbor has a 28 Mako that hasn't been in the water since the second year he had it. It was a beautiful boat, but he hasn't washed it once since he parked it. Two years ago he took the tarps off and had it serviced with hopes of fishing it the following spring. Dumped a couple thousand dollars into it getting old fuel pumped out, the injectors on the twin 250 Mercs rebuilt, then blew the Cummin's in his Ram 2500 up. Had to buy a new truck, now he can't afford to take the boat out. I'd love to buy it, but he never fished it offshore and I'd probably have to put 10K worth of electronics in it, new tires, serviced again. He doesn't realize how much damage letting a boat like that sit does to it. He paid $90,000 for it 12-15 years ago. The same boat today is $148,000. I'm just not in the pay grade to own a big boat.
That's pretty good for that little truck/motor.
I need to get the little 2hp Honda outboard on the trash can to make sure the pump is working, then I also have an older Honda 5.5 outboard I should get upstairs and run as it's been a while. I may someday get something with a 25hp outboard, but that's more than I need unless it is a jested for running in the river, then I'd need at least 110hp :rock: . It can get costly real quick, especially for such a short season, I did however buy a new fishing license yesterday, it fit's the budget :yes:. Hope to take the square back canoe out fishing next weekend with my boy, we had it out on Saturday for a 2hr float trip which was fun, until we got to the end and realized my wife's keys were in the other car where we put in at lol. Nice guy gave me a ride up to the launch, if I would have know he was going to be there I wouldn't have spotted the other car:laughing:.
I think you should tell the neighbor you'll take his boat out to keep everything working properly as long as he pays for the repairs:cheers:.

That's pretty good for that little truck/motor.
I need to get the little 2hp Honda outboard on the trash can to make sure the pump is working, then I also have an older Honda 5.5 outboard I should get upstairs and run as it's been a while. I may someday get something with a 25hp outboard, but that's more than I need unless it is a jested for running in the river, then I'd need at least 110hp :rock: . It can get costly real quick, especially for such a short season, I did however buy a new fishing license yesterday, it fit's the budget :yes:. Hope to take the square back canoe out fishing next weekend with my boy, we had it out on Saturday for a 2hr float trip which was fun, until we got to the end and realized my wife's keys were in the other car where we put in at lol. Nice guy gave me a ride up to the launch, if I would have know he was going to be there I wouldn't have spotted the other car:laughing:.
I think you should tell the neighbor you'll take his boat out to keep everything working properly as long as he pays for the repairs:cheers:.
Lol. My son did the same thing on a float trip Sunday. They didn't find anyone nice so a couple of them had to walk a few miles. I was beginning to wonder when he didn't come home till 10pm!

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Lol. My son did the same thing on a float trip Sunday. They didn't find anyone nice so a couple of them had to walk a few miles. I was beginning to wonder when he didn't come home till 10pm!

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
It happens lol.
Walking wasn't much of an option as it was about 5 miles and we had the kids with us. I almost called AAA to have them come unlock the car as there was a set of keys inside, if my truck was there I would have just crawled under and got a spare.
I was wondering if we were going to get drenched because a storm was moving in, then I thought I'm going to have to move quick at the landing and then it hit me that she left her purse in the van and I asked, somewhat figuring what the response was going to be.
I'm sure next time we will both remember, until we forget :laugh: .

Wow crazy day here.

Slept in (never happens) got to work and then ended up helping a guy who wanted some furniture and housewares our Lions club had in storage. Two and a half hours later we had hauled 4 pickup loads of stuff out of storage to his house. A win for everyone!

Back to work again and a crazy rain shower just blew in from out of nowhere.

I feel like death warmed over. I feel like someone pulled me through a knot hole, tied the rope around my feet and pulled back through backwards. Went fishing yesterday in the Norfolk Canyon, about 70 miles offshore from Chincotegue Va. My buddy's wife and kids took his truck home so we had to use mine to put the boat in the water on the other side of the Island. Couldn't pass up the opportunity to take a pic of the little 2.7 F150 with a 26 foot, tri axle, Sea Cat on the back. If the wife says I can't get a boat because my truck won't pull it, I have proof it will. It had no trouble with the boat. Story of the trip is over on the boating/fishing thread.
VzeHFYJ.jpg

faE8PUw.jpg

Just in case you couldn't tell, I'm the fat guy on the left that looks like death warmed over.

I assumed you look knackered because you're holding up the biggest fish. Enjoy that tuna :sweet:

Cut up some branches that had fallen in the yard, had a nice sized elm about 5-6" that went in the fire pit with everything but one stick of black locust :sweet:. Made 3 nice 4-5" rounds out of it that I put on the front of the woodpile for 2 seasons from now, I had robbed a few armloads off there at the end of the season.
Don't think I posted this here.
I finished noodling the hard maple and bagged all the noodles for the chickens that will be here probably this weekend. I got a total of 7 burlap bags packed with noodles from all 7 rounds that were on the front of the trailer. The blocks got thrown on the need to split green wood pile(two buckets worth) along with a bucket of black locust and elm. The blocks were leftovers from making noodles lol, waste not want not :laugh:.
I wanted to run the 372xpg out of fuel as the cylinder is getting swapped out for a ported one, and the one with the 371 sticker is also a 372 I recently acquired that needed to be ran, it did a great job with the 24".
Screen Shot 2020-06-23 at 10.35.33 PM.pngScreen Shot 2020-06-23 at 10.37.33 PM.png

I haven’t heard of those lakes, are they out of Clover Meadow?

I‘ve rode in the mountains on horseback three times. Huntington area, and Courtright area.
Yeah Ansel Adams wilderness on the east side of Yosemite national park the other side of the mountain in the back ground is Yosemite. I you ever want to go on a fishing trip let me know I have 5 head and my buddies have a lot more

View attachment 837933
Finally got him. Seen him last night as I was getting ready to let the dog out. Ran got the 22 mag. It seen me, but i got him on the run. Just so made it in his hole before he expired.

What is it? I don’t see anything.

Cowgirl is jealous of the fishing photos. For my 40th birthday, she organised a trip to a remote spot right up near the northernmost tip of Oz called Haggerstone Island (https://www.haggerstoneisland.com.au/). A bit above our pay grade but special occasion. But you're fishing the Great Barrier Reef in a large area that doesn't generally see a fisherman. Cowgirl pulled this guy in on a handline.

Fionas GT.jpg

That's Lucy behind the fish, faithful companion, bait thief and licker of fish as they come aboard.

Beautiful!
Absolutely!

Always enjoy photos from the guys that live in stunning, untouched countryside! Absolutely stunning, and as a London boy it's so enjoyable to see as I'm surrounded by urban sprawl (and the UK does have some great countryside.... But nothing like the wide open spaces in America!)

Nice morning here. 54 and partly cloudy.

Just work today although I need to run over the the volunteer project at the park to stake some new shoots from the shrub there to train them in the right locations so the grow uniformly. I guess since I’m the jack of all trades in these things I get to do all of the projects lol. Not that I’m complaining as the memorial is in memory of a very good young man.

Absolutely!

Always enjoy photos from the guys that live in stunning, untouched countryside! Absolutely stunning, and as a London boy it's so enjoyable to see as I'm surrounded by urban sprawl (and the UK does have some great countryside.... But nothing like the wide open spaces in America!)
You should come over and we could go check some of them out :cheers: .
Even living here, having drove truck for 20yrs, and being born in California I've not seen most of the country NW of the Mississippi River, but I have been to Whistler Blackcomb in British Columbia, which was awesome.
Even so I'm grateful to live in the great state of Michigan, it's beautiful as well, just not as grand as in the mountains.
I think there's beauty all around us, and if we are looking to see it we will.
Here's a picture I took on the 11th at a buddies place in the city.
Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 11.19.49 AM.png

I feel like death warmed over. I feel like someone pulled me through a knot hole, tied the rope around my feet and pulled back through backwards. Went fishing yesterday in the Norfolk Canyon, about 70 miles offshore from Chincotegue Va. My buddy's wife and kids took his truck home so we had to use mine to put the boat in the water on the other side of the Island. Couldn't pass up the opportunity to take a pic of the little 2.7 F150 with a 26 foot, tri axle, Sea Cat on the back. If the wife says I can't get a boat because my truck won't pull it, I have proof it will. It had no trouble with the boat. Story of the trip is over on the boating/fishing thread.
VzeHFYJ.jpg

faE8PUw.jpg

Just in case you couldn't tell, I'm the fat guy on the left that looks like death warmed over.
You and me brother. Been sick since last week. Thought my cough was just the dust at logging site but you dont get a fever from that. Waiting on my covid test . Feel like I'm hacking up a lung

Dry, unproductive continuous cough? Fever, ? Lost taste? If breathing gets short get on the phone.
All but loss of taste or appetite. I have had worse in 2005 I had a lung infection that would get better with meds then start again. One night in my kitchen i had an attack so bad I got a sharp pain left side of my chest and arm, Ambulance ride to hospital hooked up to machines . Everything normal they did a cat scan and promptly put me on a drip of antibiotics because of a sac of puss in my left lung the size of a softball. Pain was I coughed so hard i broke three ribs on my left side.

If its covid it ain't so bad.

Back