Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well been cutting some easy wood close to home but been thinking about the big red fir wondering if someone took it and really missing the solitude up there so headed up there Friday, it’s still there :) 03F41186-3884-4064-8211-099F418F51FF.jpeg
Cut about 10 rounds and rolled them down the hill C45493CF-1254-45A3-B9F9-E2A362C1A40E.jpegThankfully none of them went across the road and over the bank, and no traffic.The low to the ground horse trailer sure is nice for this stuff. 7738F0ED-AA9B-445A-AA10-50DED3E7B44C.jpegHad to whittle the next layer down to lifting size5C1AD3D8-536B-48CF-B1C4-6F80F24ABEBC.jpeg

Thought maybe you guy's that scrounge wood, might share some of your scrounging methods with the seemingly growing crowd of newbie wood burners. From what I have been reading, they would be quite appreciative to hear how you score, and where you score. There is a lot of useful and interesting information scattered throughout the firewood forum. I thought it might be nice to share some of your experiences in one thread, for those who are just starting out and maybe those who are struggling a bit. Thanks to anyone who cares to share.
New construction of subdivisions ,they clear a lot of trees and pile them in a corner. I have got a lot of wood that way just go and ask they usually say yes

Did some more work on the mill yesterday. Screwed the ladder down to some boards to eliminate some of the flex, helped but still getting quite a bit where saw mounts1F2163A6-6ED3-47B4-BB59-76BFA376B464.jpeg
This mill is much more user friendly but can get nicer more consistent boards with the $75 panther mill5B97A378-1E91-47E2-B0B1-4C15C45AFC9C.jpeg
Anyone want to buy a mill? Lol
Cleaned up some of the mill scraps for Mom’s wood shed1F16CC6F-8D47-409C-98AE-8E64883513FB.jpeg

Did some more work on the mill yesterday. Screwed the ladder down to some boards to eliminate some of the flex, helped but still getting quite a bit where saw mountsView attachment 843458
I like that you can work in a standing posture, without having to lift the log up high.

Philbert

did more clearing of dad's 'tools, treasures and junk' from the garage yesterday and 'scrounged up' some tools, spanners, jacks, axle stands and so on...I'l keep some and distribute some to friends. I also scrounged up another half bottle of BLO and a half bottle of danish oil so I'm set for axe restoration/handle treatment! Oh and a bit off topic...Also found a Kriegsmarine U-boat officers stopwatch by Dugane, issued to officers for timing torpedoes. I kid you not. Absolutely no idea where it came from! The detective work should be fun.

did more clearing of dad's 'tools, treasures and junk' from the garage yesterday and 'scrounged up' some tools, spanners, jacks, axle stands and so on...I'l keep some and distribute some to friends. I also scrounged up another half bottle of BLO and a half bottle of danish oil so I'm set for axe restoration/handle treatment! Oh and a bit off topic...Also found a Kriegsmarine U-boat officers stopwatch by Dugane, issued to officers for timing torpedoes. I kid you not. Absolutely no idea where it came from! The detective work should be fun.
That's a pretty neat piece of history.
Sounds like you're getting a lot done.

Back