Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw the photo and thought this was another 'firewood cutting rack' / 'bucking table' post!
Philbert
hi P - no, it's beginning to look like maybe could end up being an outdoor shower for up at the ranch.... :yes: wood from small treehouse... comm'l design

:cool:

1616184979507.png

some with a scrounge streak in them might can relate to this:
zzzzxsd.JPG

lol :laugh:

last nite i hit the hay just bit past midnite... all tucked in. only thing missing was some sand from the sandman. then it hit me, dang! didn't get the trash out for Fri morn pickup. oh well, F it! will get up early in the a.m.... but then i remembered, down the street... in the trash bin was some real nice cedar fence planks. 4' or so... and clean. i mean, nice! :yes: tossed out in the trash!! but for sure will miss that scrounge if i think i will get it in the morning... so

up out of bed, and trash out... and then down the street in car. to get my cedar!!

:givebeer:

It has been many years ago that a buddy of mine worked on a water fuel powered car. The company, I forget the name, was using a van and inside the van was several big stainless or aluminum pots. Looked like a lot of big pressure canners. That outfit hung around for several months and I dont know what ever happened to them. It was several years later that I started hearing about making hydrogen gas from water. I kind of put 2 and 2 together and figured that is what that outfit was doing with their van. I doubt that they ever got things figured out or we all would be seeing vans running up and down the road filling up with buckets of water at the local gas stations.

It has been many years ago that a buddy of mine worked on a water fuel powered car. The company, I forget the name, was using a van and inside the van was several big stainless or aluminum pots. Looked like a lot of big pressure canners. That outfit hung around for several months and I dont know what ever happened to them. It was several years later that I started hearing about making hydrogen gas from water. I kind of put 2 and 2 together and figured that is what that outfit was doing with their van. I doubt that they ever got things figured out or we all would be seeing vans running up and down the road filling up with buckets of water at the local gas stations.
a :numberone: idea! ~

Definitely. Nothing I own gets good mileage. Even my newer truck (13’ with 5.3) only averages 15. My 07 Yukon and previous 07 Suburban averaged about 16.5-17 which is funny cause they weighed over 1500 lbs more and were more boxy with the same engine and gear ratio. Oh well.

Gas at 2.15 wasn’t bad. Gas at 2.75 is starting to hurt the pocketbook.
Hah! Try £1.39....a litre! That's about $1.93/l. Or $8.76 for our gallon....$7.01 for one of yours
99 VW Golf 1.9l turbo diesel. I have a Jetta wagon with the same engine. 45mpg easy on the highway, and around 41 towing my dirtbike on the trailer.
I can get 40 (to one of our gallons) from my turbo petrol. I have managed 50

Not likely to be a useable application. It takes ahuge amount of energy to separate hydrogen from water.

A lot of trucks today are approaching what we paid for our house!

Philbert
right you are! SIL paid close to twice for his loaded, snazzed up to max or close... new V10 truck what i paid for my house in 1977... :popcorn2:

truck goes down in value as it is used, eventually close to -0-... but my house is worth around 10 times what i paid for it then now... and only is increasing in value.

of course, for many... salaries are much higher these days, even for first-jobbers. but no way could i sleep at night with a mortgage over $3,000.00 monthly......:omg:

only a dream for many...
1616187975480.png

As for the future of cars, about 3 years ago I read a great article, think it was on the BBC, that postulated a swap to electric, self driving vehicles and an end to private ownership could happen in as little as a decade. The switch to cars from horse and carriage took about that. I recall it showed 2 photos of, iiirc, time Square a decade apart. First was almost all horses, second was all cars. It then explained how the advantages from electric cars, self driving and Uber all strongly compliment. The age of the personal motor car could be ending.

I can’t see Uber having success beyond urban and suburban middle class folks. It’s great if you need to go from point a to b in a city. But what if you need to haul something with you.
Maybe you need to start a ‘rural Uber’? Pickup truck & trailer standard.

Philbert

But what if you need to haul something with you.
Svk, you're a genius entrepreneur. This will be the next iteration of Uber & Lyft: Uberlift--"We don't just get you there, we haul your schit besides." Club cab pickups will be needed to satisfy this demand. Gentlemen, get your rigs in order.

Tell you what, when I realized I could get from point a to b and not have to do it under my own power I never went back. I will always have my own vehicle. Dont care how its powered so much as its economical, and doesnt add $400.00 to the electric bill every month.

I’m kinda partial to dsl power;)View attachment 895812

I love that truck. Like, a lot.

I was just offered a 7.3IDI with trans and transfer case from an OBS F250 for $350. However, it has coolant in the oil (gasket, or worse??). I passed. I want either a 7.3PS, or better yet a 6bt cummins. I prefer mechanical, and like the idea of very few electronics. Also want to swap in a zf5 manual trans.

Then, the other thought is to just rebuild the 460EFI with mild cam, stroked, and maybe a blower or hair dryer. It'll probably still get 8-10mpgs, LOL!

I love diesels, but maintenance and repairs are much more expensive over gassers. Hence my dilemma.

Back