Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll be helping a friend take care of a large ash tree in his yard tomorrow. We have a fellow church member who is a city arborist who climbs trees taking it down and we're going to be the groundies. It will be my first experience with a chuck and duck chipper. I get to take as much wood home as I want. Hopefully I will have some pictures tomorrow.

Lee

Thanks! Very time consuming but it's a labour of love I suppose. Other people would help if I asked but it has almost become a matter of pride to do it all myself. Also, I can use the exercise. Here's the current state of play (the kayaks are not going on the bonfire nor the defunct cubby house and slide!). There's a few cubes of peppermint logs near left, 3-4 cubes of blue gum rounds and halves near right, a cube of poles next to the slide on the left, then a couple of cubes of rounds and junk wood by the swing set, 3 cubes of leaves/bark/sticks just behind that and another couple of cubes of poles behind that. I reckon I'll get another couple of cubes of blue gum rounds and another couple of cubes of poles, then some long tops with leaves stihl on and we'll be set.

View attachment 903058

I currently have stihl full chisel on the 460 and semi chisel on the 661 (Why? Because they didn't have a 25in loop of full chisel when I needed a new chain for Limby and there was no-one there competent enough to make one up). Either is fine in green blue gum but you can't use full chisel or carbide in dry blue gum as it hardens remarkably as it dries. I broke a whole lot of cutters off a carbide chain once in dry blue gum and put backward facing burrs on every cutter in full chisel.

The 460 has been grabby as hell. I thought I must have taken the rakers down to low but when I had a closer look I realised that I had knocked a couple of cutters out of plumb sideways at some point so I'll be straightening them up again.

It's not the local cops but the highway patrol that you have to look out for and they can turn up anywhere. The ranger is rated to tow only 750kgs unbraked (3500kgs braked) and I would have had nearly double that in the trailer. Green blue gum is up to 1200kg/cubic metre. I would have got fined for sure.
Glad I never got stopped with this load last year. I was very surprised how well the Navara handled the load. Having swapped from a Ranger to a Navara (work vehicle they swap them over every 3 years on a lease agreement)I thought I'd be disappointed in the performance of the navara but after a ecu remap on the dyno it's nearly the same as the Ranger. 20200529_135302.jpg

Glad I never got stopped with this load last year. I was very surprised how well the Navara handled the load. Having swapped from a Ranger to a Navara (work vehicle they swap them over every 3 years on a lease agreement)I thought I'd be disappointed in the performance of the navara but after a ecu remap on the dyno it's nearly the same as the Ranger. View attachment 903314

I went down to Melbourne yesterday to take some wood to my brother and go to the footy (go Dees!) and saw several loads like that travelling in convoy down the Hume highway. I wonder what $$ they were selling for down there?

I saw a 350 the other day, it was totally rotted out, that ford was a pretty big trap:laughing:.
Did you find a new scrounging ride yet.
I did. Ended up buying an ext. cab Dodge with a Ram box. Wasn't exactly what I wanted, but it's in nice shape so I compromised a little.

Having swapped from a Ranger to a Navara (work vehicle they swap them over every 3 years on a lease agreement)I thought I'd be disappointed in the performance of the navara but after a ecu remap on the dyno it's nearly the same as the Ranger.
Had to look it up !

“The Nissan Navara is the name for the D21, D22, D40 and D23 generations of Nissan pickup trucks sold in Central America, South America, Asia, Europe, South Africa, New Zealand and Australia. In North, Central and South America and some selected markets, it is sold as the Nissan Frontier or Nissan NP300.“

Philbert

Getting to be time for a new wood hauler. This trailer is about 37 years old and is about through. The wheels are wallowed out and cracked around the bore.
View attachment 903204
Found this one for you today Steve, maybe he'd include the saw in it :).
It's also right up the street from where all those morels where found and there's a large chunk of public hunting land about a half mile away :cool:.
Screen Shot 2021-04-25 at 9.44.10 AM.png

I did. Ended up buying an ext. cab Dodge with a Ram box. Wasn't exactly what I wanted, but it's in nice shape so I compromised a little.
Sweet.
I'm not sure what the Ram box is?
Since you guys have been talking about the 8' boxes being hard to find, I've noticed a lot of the dodges have 8' beds, my neighbor across the street has one and I see one drive by nearly every day.
:thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures:

I'm not sure why my pics keep coming up sideways, I'll figure it out later. Ram boxes have tool boxes built into the bed side and they have a fancy adjustable tie down system. The drawback I see is you will lose all that space ahead of and behind the wheel wells and the boxes would be rendered useless if you put a topper on in the winter. Time will tell I guess.
Sweet.
I'm not sure what the Ram box is?
Since you guys have been talking about the 8' boxes being hard to find, I've noticed a lot of the dodges have 8' beds, my neighbor across the street has one and I see one drive by nearly every day.
:thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures:
View attachment 903385 IView attachment 903386

I am posting here because it seems like a lot of car guys post in this thread.
Car problem is a OJ type Ford Bronco. I dont know year, but it shouldnt matter. The problem is the water pump. Now the car had ran hot and leaked the water out and they had put pepper in radiator to try and get the truck home. It worked, but the pepper clogged up every water orfice in the motor, heater, radiator, it just made a mess. After several radiator flushing using stuff you buy at part stores, they decided to replace the water pump, Thermostat and radiator. in about 10 miles and less than 20 miles, The pully came off the water pump shaft. It looks to me the bolt flange was only holding about half of its total contact area, maybe 3/8 inch out of about a possible 1 inch depth. This is a press fit part and one would think the entire bore should be in contact with the shaft. Anyways, Advance Autoparts gave a new water pump and is waiting on corporate office to make a decision as to whether the water pump was defective before paying up for the new radiator and fan that got destroyed, when the pump failed. Today, we replaced the water pump and installed another new radiator and fan. We drove the bronco around the block a time or two and thought everything was fine. She takes the bronco out on the main highway and about 10 miles, slam, bamb, the second new water pump failed exactly like the first new water pump. I havent seen the pump and bolt flange yet, but of course the fan took out the new radiator. We wont be able to talk to the parts store today, but I told them to not let them have the water pump that failed until I can get something to measure the shaft size and the flange hole size. I feel the fit of the parts is not correct and if we give the part back to the parts store, then we have no way of proving right or wrong, one way or the other. I also feel that the parts store, or the company that made the water pump is responsible for replacing the water pump the second time as well as the cost of 2 new radiators and fans. Then there is the issue of the antifreeze lost both times as well as the labor for installing the water pump and radiators. If anybody has an opinion on this let me hear it.

20210425_170600.jpg
One big yard ash removed. It's very impressive to watch a professional arborist do his thing up in the tree. He tied in on the central leader and worked his way around the tree limbing it out from the top down.
I probably got a half cord of wood out of it. Left the real big pieces on the curb for the other scroungers in the area. Didn't feel like dealing with them.

Back