Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good morning. Not a lot to report here but my neighbors adult son did get a nice nine pointer yesterday. Otherwise deer hunting has been very slow. Got the boat out of the small lake yesterday in the skim of ice. My boat at my house is still in the water and it was 3° last night so I can imagine if it didn’t skim over it will soon. That’s on my list of things to do after work.
No deer yet for me

Ok had a good weekend…. 12 ton truck loaded with about 5 tons of hardwood the first photo is what’s left…. Will go back next week to get the rest
And Ken wins!
A narrow but clear victory this late entrant blew the field away with a single almighty scrounge, what a turn up. For so long it had been a slugging match, blow (down) after blow (down) round after round, logger Nate, cowboy, Mustang Mike and Dan leading the pack but chased hard by farmer Steve, chipper, just Jeff, and so many more in the evenly matched field. But now, with a single knockout scrounge, the deserved title of king scrounger goes too ......... KeeeeeEEEEEN MOOR-gaaaannnn!!! Woop woop! 🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆

And Ken wins!
A narrow but clear victory this late entrant blew the field away with a single almighty scrounge, what a turn up. For so long it had been a slugging match, blow (down) after blow (down) round after round, logger Nate, cowboy, Mustang Mike and Dan leading the pack but chased hard by farmer Steve, chipper, just Jeff, and so many more in the evenly matched field. But now, with a single knockout scrounge, the deserved title of king scrounger goes too ......... KeeeeeEEEEEN MOOR-gaaaannnn!!! Woop woop! 🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
honestly this year was bad though due to covid ROM rules (restriciton of movement). was worried about the 2023 wood season as I like mine to season minimum of 2 years. fortunately this stuff was laid up for about10 months so it is drier than it would have been if fresh cut.

Temps in the teens last night but we still have open water at the house.

Yesterday after work I got the plow out. We have almost no snow but some folks that I knew were snowed in a little ways south and west of here.

Both folks had not plowed yet this year. Of course the heavy snow on wet ground made for kind of a miserable plowing job even with plow shoes on but at least now it’s cleaned up and can freeze solid. I definitely put a few yards of sand into the woods at friend’s grandma’s house. The driveway was in rough shape and was made with soft sand. But she had been snowed in since Thursday so I’m sure she’s happy to have her freedom back.

Temps in the teens last night but we still have open water at the house.

Yesterday after work I got the plow out. We have almost no snow but some folks that I knew were snowed in a little ways south and west of here.

Both folks had not plowed yet this year. Of course the heavy snow on wet ground made for kind of a miserable plowing job even with plow shoes on but at least now it’s cleaned up and can freeze solid. I definitely put a few yards of sand into the woods at friend’s grandma’s house. The driveway was in rough shape and was made with soft sand. But she had been snowed in since Thursday so I’m sure she’s happy to have her freedom back.
Scary to think plowing is right around the corner for alot of us.

Scary to think plowing is right around the corner for alot of us.
Yeah, agreed!

I usually try to go as long as possible without getting it out but these folks were snowed in. All but one of my vehicles are four wheel drives so I try to get a good base packed down at my house before I even start plowing. I know the last guy plowing for “grandma” refuses to any longer and I can imagine why. But I’m happy to help as long as they know that I plow on my time schedule.

This coming Sat is Opening Day for Rifle. Six of us will be going up to the cabin on Fri.

There have been reports of some snow up in the Catskills, so the Blizzak tires will go on the truck this week.
Yes we had snow . I lent my crossbow to my son …. He’s mocking me 0C5CBEEE-D424-4E4B-9D8D-790E6862DA2E.jpeg

After I upgraded from CB 550 edge to the 760 edge I did my first clean out on Sunday. Had about 3.5 weeks of burn time on it. I got 1.25 gallons of very fine fly ash and there was nothing on the exchangers. Very, Very, impressive. It's not been super cold but my house is big and old. Been burning about 60% elm, 15% basswood, 15% box elder, and 10% red oak. Probably a tich over .5 cords. My wood typically runs 12-15% moisture. I'm pretty happy with that efficiency.

I'm going to pull apart the elbows and check them but I don't think I will have any thing in there. The afterburner portion of this stove works really well.

How does that basswood and box elder burn? I think we call in linden tree in michigan. Alot of popple gets burnt in our area, not the greatest but it's everywhere and puts out heat
In my OWB's I have never had an issue with either. I think the gasification gets the most out of it. My cutting buddy has a non gasser fireplace he burns with and it isn't that good in there. Ashy and short burn times. In the cold couple months here I usually like to have sugar maple, oak, ash, or birch for the longer burn times. This year I have a pretty good mix for those months. Red oak, elm, ash, and tick of sugar all mixed.

I try not to leave anything in the woods unless it is rotten.

Here either, I just prefer the handling of the huskys best, they all have good and bad models.
That metal and plastic thing, it sounds familiar lol.
Hope you get it, they run verystrong. Most of the red lights don't work on the ones I've seen.
I offered $250 and I thought that was generous. He wanted $750....hard pass. Needs tank, clutch, and recoil cover. Not to mention what’s lurking on the top and bottom end.

Attachments

• 4006903D-5923-488E-A76D-ABC9470D40E8.png
    4006903D-5923-488E-A76D-ABC9470D40E8.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 35
Back