Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Talked to a friend of a friend who does tree service on the side. He said he'd be willing to drop off logs when he is in the area as he "hates firewood". Is this common? Will I end up seeing any?
Yes, it's the norm. We were a fourth generation licensed and insured family owned business, no fly by night part time job. We hated firewood. Back in the 80's we were getting $85 per man hour for normal removals and trimming. 3 or 4 man crew. We were getting $100 per cord. The only way to make money in wood was to have big processors and pretty much do nothing but wood. I liked playing with wood and asked my Dad if we could put on a wood crew. He said if I could come up with a way to make more money with a wood crew than we made with the tree crews he would do it and let me run it. Basically both crews needed the same size dump truck, both needed the same knuckle boom, tree crew needed a 16" chipper and the giant processor cost ten times what a chipper did. The tree crews were making $1500 to $2500 per day. A wood crew would have to move 10-15 cord a day to break even on the low end of the tree crews. Plus that would be moving the green wood right off the processor, no seasoning. Our wood and chip yard was 5 acres. Didn't have the room to store wood for a year that couldn't break even with our slowest tree crew. We had a local farmers market that we dumped most of our wood at for $50 a load. Our dumps were an F600's with 12' long by 6' high chipper boxes. My Dad said if he was going to put money into another crew, he would just put on another tree crew, and make MORE money. Not buy a lot of equipment to make less money. Can't fight the logic.

This is what the local tree service left me back in October. I took 11 fork loads of small lap wood up to my splitting are trying to help. The 3 man crew just laughed at me. They loaded and dumped the wood faster than I could tie a load down. Those Dingo's are incredible.
xhOP7Yl.jpg

gh5eyqj.jpg

JQ3YFdG.jpg

So just because many of you guys would appreciate it... Speaking of Wild Black Cherries - We have a property we have been thinning in our spare time for fire wood that is largely Wild Cherry trees that, because of the density of the woods, produces straight limbless stems to about 60 feet where they start to branch out to relatively small tops. Those that must go, but are too small (or cracked from wind twist) for sawing become pretty spectacular firewood specimens. Drop em, buck em, and turn each round into several primo straight easy stacking sticks of firewood that dries in a summer! If you don't know what these trees are, you are missing out. It does not get much better...

I can't imagine what other bushes that haven't been cut around here look like.
Pretty bad.
We have a lot of it in the river valley here, it's a mess.
Hard to get a good picture down in there because of the brush on the road, but "you get the picture" lol.
Screen Shot 2021-12-28 at 9.58.32 PM.png

I know you guys love pics, but these don't really do the place justice! This was one of the few places you can see across!

This is where I hunted yesterday on NYS land. I'm on top of a ridge, taking pics across the valley. My truck is parked off the road down below.

The road is 400', the top of the ridge is 1,200'.

I did see a tail, was only about 60 yds away! I was beat climbing up the ridge, and was just about to place my butt on a rock when I saw the tail.

There is about 4" of leaves on the ground, and it is so steep that even on the diagonally cut old logging trails, you have to be careful you don't just slide down. I think the deer are all up top because not many hunters make it up there.

I used to go up with 2 - 5 hunters, and we would push to each other, but none of them can do it anymore, so it was just me. There are also several hiking paths up there that never used to be there (they access them from the other side, so they don't have to climb, they just come across the ridge). Was happy to see something, but it is tough to get them up there.

Attachments

• IMG_20211227_154307731_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20211227_154307731_HDR.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 25
  • IMG_20211227_154316599_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20211227_154316599_HDR.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_20211227_154335172_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20211227_154335172_HDR.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 24
I know you guys love pics, but these don't really do the place justice! This was one of the few places you can see across!

This is where I hunted yesterday on NYS land. I'm on top of a ridge, taking pics across the valley. My truck is parked off the road down below.

The road is 400', the top of the ridge is 1,200'.

I did see a tail, was only about 60 yds away! I was beat climbing up the ridge, and was just about to place my butt on a rock when I saw the tail.

There is about 4" of leaves on the ground, and it is so steep that even on the diagonally cut old logging trails, you have to be careful you don't just slide down. I think the deer are all up top because not many hunters make it up there.

I used to go up with 2 - 5 hunters, and we would push to each other, but none of them can do it anymore, so it was just me. There are also several hiking paths up there that never used to be there (they access them from the other side, so they don't have to climb, they just come across the ridge). Was happy to see something, but it is tough to get them up there.
Sure the hike up got your heart rate up a bit.
Great views. What's the knoll in the second picture not too far off.

So just because many of you guys would appreciate it... Speaking of Wild Black Cherries - We have a property we have been thinning in our spare time for fire wood that is largely Wild Cherry trees that, because of the density of the woods, produces straight limbless stems to about 60 feet where they start to branch out to relatively small tops. Those that must go, but are too small (or cracked from wind twist) for sawing become pretty spectacular firewood specimens. Drop em, buck em, and turn each round into several primo straight easy stacking sticks of firewood that dries in a summer! If you don't know what these trees are, you are missing out. It does not get much better...
My cousin still owns the family business and can get all the wood he wants dumped in his splitting area free. He’s came over and got 4 pickup loads of short cut offs and splitter scraps. It does not get any better. My neighbors love when I burn it. Makes the whole neighborhood smell sweet.

I had one in 222 over 20 Ga 3" mag. Regret that I got rid of it, but you were not allowed to hunt anything with it in NY!
We have a .22LR/.410 my father shorted to 18" with a receiver sight at camp in upstate NY. It is decent survival gun, as it weighs nothing, is accurate, and with slugs og buckshot can handle anything NYS can offer, and the .22 is great for small stuff.

What's the knoll in the second picture not too far off.
Don't know that it has a name, but I often use it as a landmark when I'm coming down (if visibility is good).

It is right on the border of Patterson NY and Sherman CT and is about 1,300 ft.

It is weird up on the top of the ridge. Very rocky with Blueberry plants, Mountain Laurel and lots of Chestnut Oak trees. There is a steep 50 ft deep gorge along the top with a small stream that runs SW along the ridge, then turns SE and goes downhill to Haviland Hollow Road and into Haviland Hollow Brook, which flows into the 6,000 acre Great Swamp.

It may sound easy to follow the stream down, but when it turns off the ridge there is a small waterfall, and you will not climb down it. You will also have to go back quite a ways to make your way out of the gorge. You have to be a good distance from the stream to find a suitable place to descend, it gets very steep.

If you want to go across the ridge, you have to pick your route carefully. You will not go up or down a lot of the vertical drops.

With all the Blueberry plants, leaves and dead branches, it is almost impossible to move quietly.

http://frogs-ny.org/about-the-great-swamp/

My cousin still owns the family business and can get all the wood he wants dumped in his splitting area free. He’s came over and got 4 pickup loads of short cut offs and splitter scraps. It does not get any better. My neighbors love when I burn it. Makes the whole neighborhood smell sweet.
Isn’t it funny the effect the smell of a fire has in people including me!! I also love to watch as people come in to our home. One by one without fail once they see the wood stove, they make a bee line to and settle in for a warm up. It’s just irresistible. That’s where I head for the first 20 minutes after being out in the cold! Give me my chair , a cup of coffee and pretend I don’t exist for a few minutes!!

Isn’t it funny the effect the smell of a fire has in people including me!! I also love to watch as people come in to our home. One by one without fail once they see the wood stove, they make a bee line to and settle in for a warm up. It’s just irresistible. That’s where I head for the first 20 minutes after being out in the cold! Give me my chair , a cup of coffee and pretend I don’t exist for a few minutes!!
My Friend (76Yrs AT the time) stopped by to see me and I was in a shed looking for something. It was a damp chilly day and I watched as he backed up against a Round Oak style wood stove. He had his hands behind his back trying to get warm, I told him "That stove isn't hooked up" His face flushed a bit so I guess a stove doesn't need to be warm to warm you up...

Yep, When my mother would visit it was instant over to the stove back up and hoist the skirt a bit.

Latest posts

Back