Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, a thing happened...
wEvOu2h.jpg

Also, I'm getting into the HVBW I cut up a couple years ago.
8lFgMSU.jpg

I hope y'all are doing well.
That's a minty saw!

Don't have any milling experience, except dropping logs off and then standing there watching them being milled on a BSM by @Sawyer Rob and buying milled white oak from a good sized mill about 20 mins away.
You get one over here and we will mill it into whatever you want...

SR

View attachment 966482Getting in a little late. Scrounged ash, one of the trees in that truck load tried to kill me on the way down. Cut through the hinge on one side, allowed the tree to spin nearly 180* and land right where I was standing to make my back. Terrifying experience but lesson learned.
Right up there with caffeine for added alertness...

Not a sycamore. Sycamore bark is scaly. Beach and Ironwood is soothe. I think too big for an Ironwood. I'll go with Beech. jmho :cool: OT
Yeah, I've got a bunch of rounds of beech about that size in the front yard waiting for the weather to allow swapping out the splitter engine, and had a sycamore easily that big taken down by the F.... road commission a couple of years ago - that's a beech.

You get one over here and we will mill it into whatever you want...

SR
I have a pretty good pile of logs that could be milled, I'm only allowed to bring one :laugh:. I better make it a good one :numberone:.
The cherry log I've been cutting cookies out of was meant to be one to mill, I just started cutting on the wrong one :dumb:. It's a very hard piece of cherry, and probably the nicest one I had for milling:cry:. I also have a few red oaks that I thought would be good for cutting slabs out of to sell.
Maybe when the weather changes late spring would be a good time, hopefully by then I'll have all the wood off my car hauling trailer or the trailer I'm building, either one would be nice to haul logs on as they are both flat/open without rails. Right now the car trailer has all my 2x wood on it for the barn, but by then it should be used up or nice enough to put back outside for a bit. I need to get the barn floor graded so I can get some concrete in there as soon the cash comes in for it, I'm excited about that stage of the barn build :yes:. Got any connections for concrete, I even considered going to work delivering concrete, will work for concrete :). Just stopped at the township office to check on the cost of my electrical permit, picked up a 200amp panel a few weeks ago :clap:.

I have a pretty good pile of logs that could be milled, I'm only allowed to bring one :laugh:. I better make it a good one :numberone:.
The cherry log I've been cutting cookies out of was meant to be one to mill, I just started cutting on the wrong one :dumb:. It's a very hard piece of cherry, and probably the nicest one I had for milling:cry:. I also have a few red oaks that I thought would be good for cutting slabs out of to sell.
Maybe when the weather changes late spring would be a good time, hopefully by then I'll have all the wood off my car hauling trailer or the trailer I'm building, either one would be nice to haul logs on as they are both flat/open without rails. Right now the car trailer has all my 2x wood on it for the barn, but by then it should be used up or nice enough to put back outside for a bit. I need to get the barn floor graded so I can get some concrete in there as soon the cash comes in for it, I'm excited about that stage of the barn build :yes:. Got any connections for concrete, I even considered going to work delivering concrete, will work for concrete :). Just stopped at the township office to check on the cost of my electrical permit, picked up a 200amp panel a few weeks ago :clap:.
I had a nice 15"X19+' black cherry log I was saving to mill. About a month ago I said forget it and bucked/split it up for firewood. Wish I'd have waited :(

Oh well, I have plenty more trees to slab up.

I had a nice 15"X19+' black cherry log I was saving to mill. About a month ago I said forget it and bucked/split it up for firewood. Wish I'd have waited :(

I meant to pull one off the stack that was crooked for cutting cookies, I like the smell of them drying on the wood stove, got the wrong one. More will come though, and it's not like I don't have others too:).

I used

I meant to pull one off the stack that was crooked for cutting cookies, I like the smell of them drying on the wood stove, got the wrong one. More will come though, and it's not like I don't have others too:).
I used one of the pieces I milled out of a cherry to keep the recliner couch off the wall this weekend. I milled some of them at 2" thick. I think this is 1 1/4". Wood has been in the barn for maybe 2 years.PXL_20220221_213827251.jpg

I used one of the pieces I milled out of a cherry to keep the recliner couch off the wall this weekend. I milled some of them at 2" thick. I think this is 1 1/4". Wood has been in the barn for maybe 2 years.View attachment 967300
Nice.
If only I would have done that yrs ago, maybe we wouldn't have the hole in the wall behind ours :rare2:.
Now I need to put wainscoting up on two walls to hide it, maybe I could get some nice milled boards to use :).

Nice.
If only I would have done that yrs ago, maybe we wouldn't have the hole in the wall behind ours :rare2:.
Now I need to put wainscoting up on two walls to hide it, maybe I could get some nice milled boards to use :).
Had to do similar thing but don't have 16"+ wide milled cherry

Attachments

• 16455804636428767109975368977182.jpg
    16455804636428767109975368977182.jpg
    1,020.2 KB · Views: 2
Back