Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love seeing those homemade boards. I'm excited to get started here. Right now the focus is my water. Pretty sure my float has failed on the intake in the pond, so instead of floating and keeping the intake filter about 3' below the surface, I'm pretty sure I'm sucking water off the bottom of the pond.

Tired to take the boat out today to check it, but the ice is too thick to move with the boat, but too thin to walk on. Praying we can figure it out soon, water coming in is gross and is taxing my filtration system (which I just upgraded a month or so ago). Water is clean, but discolored.

Ugh.

Love seeing those homemade boards. I'm excited to get started here. Right now the focus is my water. Pretty sure my float has failed on the intake in the pond, so instead of floating and keeping the intake filter about 3' below the surface, I'm pretty sure I'm sucking water off the bottom of the pond.

Tired to take the boat out today to check it, but the ice is too thick to move with the boat, but too thin to walk on. Praying we can figure it out soon, water coming in is gross and is taxing my filtration system (which I just upgraded a month or so ago). Water is clean, but discolored.

Ugh.
You should be able to walk on it later this week. Our temps just dropped here this evening, we went from 48-50 today to 26 now with wind in the upper teens and gusting higher, supposed to hit 19 by morning.
Hopefully I can get a bunch of cutting done here at the house tomorrow :chainsaw:, maybe even get a bonfire going too :blob2:.

You should be able to walk on it later this week. Our temps just dropped here this evening, we went from 48-50 today to 26 now with wind in the upper teens and gusting higher, supposed to hit 19 by morning.
Hopefully I can get a bunch of cutting done here at the house tomorrow :chainsaw:, maybe even get a bonfire going too :blob2:.
Here's hoping.

I have a ton of bucked up rounds down in the woods that I can't get to. Ao muddy down there that I keep getting stuck with the tractor. Need a 4x4 tractor bad.

That, or a nice 4wheel trailer to pull behind the 4wheeler. Since it can get back there no problem.

Thankfully, I have plenty of firewood stacked up.

Here's hoping.

I have a ton of bucked up rounds down in the woods that I can't get to. Ao muddy down there that I keep getting stuck with the tractor. Need a 4x4 tractor bad.

That, or a nice 4wheel trailer to pull behind the 4wheeler. Since it can get back there no problem.

Thankfully, I have plenty of firewood stacked up.
Do you have chains on it? chains make a huge difference in my book.

I had a nice 15"X19+' black cherry log I was saving to mill. About a month ago I said forget it and bucked/split it up for firewood. Wish I'd have waited :(

Oh well, I have plenty more trees to slab up.
All the cherry around here is full of carpenter ants. Anything of a decent size will have them.

Do you have chains on it? chains make a huge difference in my book.
No chains. My main issue is I added a loader and I have no weight in the back. She's front heavy which kills traction. I'm going to either load the tires, or find some weights, or make my own three point weight for now.

No chains. My main issue is I added a loader and I have no weight in the back. She's front heavy which kills traction. I'm going to either load the tires, or find some weights, or make my own three point weight for now.
If you can find wheel weights thats the way to go from personal experience. They don't drain out if you get a flat and are resellable if you end up not needing them.

I was doing some research a few months back and was surprised to learn that one of the preferred woods for gun stocks, other than Walnut, is Cherry!

Since I know a guy that makes stocks, I've been contemplating making some blanks.
That's interesting.
If you can find wheel weights thats the way to go from personal experience. They don't drain out if you get a flat and are resellable if you end up not needing them.
Thanks for the input. I put a brand new rims and tires on this tractor when I got it, as it had turf wheels/tires. I definitely don't wanna put something in my tires that could eventually destroy my rims (lime, etc.).

The beet juice is safe but if you get a flat that's a 150-300$ on the ground. We had pie weights on a 13.6x28 rim on older Ford 600 series. Sheared a valve stem off in woods. We had a spare tire/rim as back up and 1 hour later was back in business. Just removed the weights and r and r the tire/rim and reinstalled pie weights. That calcium chloride has rotted plenty of our rims at valve stem and will never use it.

Attachments

• 0829201829.jpg
    0829201829.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
I was doing some research a few months back and was surprised to learn that one of the preferred woods for gun stocks, other than Walnut, is Cherry!
They are not common, but I wouldn't call them uncommon either. Walnut, Beech and hard maple are more common though.

I have quite a few walnut, maple and other stock blanks around, as I made several stocks in a past lifetime. I also sold some higher-grade blanks too...

SR

Carpenter ants(the large black ants) don't like a specific wood, but rather wet wood. They do not eat wood like a termite, they burrow in it, which is why there is always wood dust/chips in their tunnels.
20220223_145221.jpgThey leave pretty quick once the nest is busted open though. Split this ash round yesterday and no ants today. Wish my chickens would come running when they hear the axe. They would have a field day.

Latest posts

Back