Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually thought it was ash by the bark when I picked it up last week. The ends were dark as it has been sitting in a pile for a minute. The color when my son cut into it really threw me off. I haven't cut many mature ash this size. Mostly much smaller. There just aren't many in the woods around me. This tree came from a city a good bit south of me.

Well it's maple boil off time. I actually had way more sap than I thought, had to borrow totes from my wife to get it all. It had ice in it Monday but I didn't boil un till yesterday. The sap today was full of ice but I melted in the 1st warming tray. I am down to the one serving tray of sap now. Burning lots more wood than the OWB but I knew it would. Picture of last nights fire.
fire.jpg

Well it's maple boil off time. I actually had way more sap than I thought, had to borrow totes from my wife to get it all. It had ice in it Monday but I didn't boil un till yesterday. The sap today was full of ice but I melted in the 1st warming tray. I am down to the one serving tray of sap now. Burning lots more wood than the OWB but I knew it would. Picture of last nights fire.
View attachment 970594
I just finished up the first boil with the sap that I separated the ice from the sap . Got a little over 3 1/2 qts of syrup from 11 gallons of sap . I'll be doing it this way whenever I can .

Jeezeuz!!! Have I ever lost it this winter. Nice day out, temps mid 40s, no breeze so I decided to move a wagon load of wood to the porch. That went alright so I decided to tackle the piles of limb wood and start putting it through teh multistation sawbuck. This is all black locust small diameter (6" minus) from 4 to 7' lenghts. Rather unwieldly but not over heavy. I had loaded it two days ago but the wind drove me off before I cut and stacked. Saw gave me a wakeup. MS363. Barked on first pull and then I forgot to look to be sure it was on half choke. It takes two hands to get in in the cotrrect notch or it hits run and ain't about to start there. Reset properly and about 6 pulls later cleared the flood and we were in business.

Great feeling with a good running saw in my hands reducing limbs down to firewood size. Cut and stack that load up, load the sawbuck and repeat. It was while i was loading it for the last batch that I realized I was already fagged out!! Back in the house and hadn't even bee working but about 20 minutes.

Looks like I will have some recovery to do before I am back (if ever) to swinging the saws for 3 hours again. That's where I was back in early November. I ain't gonna quit this stuff until I can't crawl to the wood pile.
I had shoulder surgery last Oct 25th and know that feeling. I finally got around to using my saws again a few weeks ago.

Jeezeuz!!! Have I ever lost it this winter. Nice day out, temps mid 40s, no breeze so I decided to move a wagon load of wood to the porch. That went alright so I decided to tackle the piles of limb wood and start putting it through teh multistation sawbuck. This is all black locust small diameter (6" minus) from 4 to 7' lenghts. Rather unwieldly but not over heavy. I had loaded it two days ago but the wind drove me off before I cut and stacked. Saw gave me a wakeup. MS363. Barked on first pull and then I forgot to look to be sure it was on half choke. It takes two hands to get in in the cotrrect notch or it hits run and ain't about to start there. Reset properly and about 6 pulls later cleared the flood and we were in business.

Great feeling with a good running saw in my hands reducing limbs down to firewood size. Cut and stack that load up, load the sawbuck and repeat. It was while i was loading it for the last batch that I realized I was already fagged out!! Back in the house and hadn't even bee working but about 20 minutes.

Looks like I will have some recovery to do before I am back (if ever) to swinging the saws for 3 hours again. That's where I was back in early November. I ain't gonna quit this stuff until I can't crawl to the wood pile.
You're an inspiration to the rest of us. Every one of us over our 30's deals with declining abilities. Seeing you still getting it done if only a little at a time is refreshing. 20 minutes might not seem like a lot but I'd bet you can cut more wood in 20 minutes than you can burn in a week. Add 20 minutes at the splitter 2 days later and 20 minutes of stacking 2 days after that and you're still more than on top of things. Slow and steady wins the race. We should all be so fortunate.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

I love this stove. This is the coal left after 14.25 hours of burn time with 100% red oak.

3.0 cubic fire box
PE Summit

6db6c4516d5f98841fcf9c06bf5dcb62.jpg

Sent while firmly grasping my Redline lubed Ram [emoji231]🛻
That's impressive. I have yet to have a good experience burning red oak. However, to be fair, I've never had "choice" wood to use. First tree was a monster that fell across my father in law's driveway. I cut huge rounds, took them home and split them. They were way too wet, so they did not burn at all (I was so used to burning dead standing ash that we would cut up, I figured it was good to go since it too was dead standing then blew over. Nope!). I was super green back then, and had just started burning firewood to help heat our house.

Now that I have a TON of red oak on my property, many that need felled, I'm gonna try some again.

I luv my 046 Magnum, but my MS 462 is even better.
My thoughts exactly. I have a very strong ported 460 and two strong ported 046/440 hybrids, but my 2 ported 462s are usually my go to saws.

They are fast, light and smooth, and the air filter need much less attention.

The exception is when the hardwood fills the 28" bars, then I go with the other saws as they are harder to stop the chain,

When noodling large hardwood rounds, I like to go to my 8.6 Hp ported 660 clone. It gets it done!

Back