Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@MustangMike may have some tips on where to get files(I'd like to get some tips too) and his opinion on using square as he uses it exclusively.
Same saw, same operator, same wood. I got the same results when I cut with them too.
Have not purchased any in a long time ... got a dozen PFRED through Bailey's Chainsaw quite some time ago.

They work and last well for me. I keep the factory angles for hardwood and milling (45*, 45*, 45*) back, down and slant.

Generally, there is no market for hardwood up at my property unless they are at least 14" in diameter.
The local log buyer said they would take ash logs down to 10" for tie logs. Basically a wash once they're picked up and trucked to the mill. Not worth the time. Need to be above 13" for graded lumber. I missed the boat though. Every one is showing damage and has a dark center.

Almost forgot to load these, does it count since it's a day late [emoji54].
My other helper actually wanted in pictures today, that's not normal, but nice :).
Does this bucket make my loads look small lol. It is hard to split a load out of the bucket, not quite enough room, then I went and added some smalls to the mix with the splits to fill the bucket better.
View attachment 973483View attachment 973484View attachment 973485View attachment 973486View attachment 973487

Aawww Brett.... we accept all bucket sizes here. Even ones you like to stuff your wood in

Sent while firmly grasping my Redline lubed Ram [emoji231]🛻

you got him there!!

Sent while firmly grasping my Redline lubed Ram [emoji231]🛻
It an ongoing joke between us. I'm kinda anal and try and keep everything 16" with my measuring stick. When he comes and helps cut, I go thru and nick everything with the saw at 16 and he follows behind and cuts.

In another part of PA this much smaller Spruce tilted slightly 2 weeks ago, then the snow and wind over the weekend took it down further. No damage to anything at all. But, I kind of liked the location and line of sight screen it provided. So, yesterday my son and I set a 3" heavy canvas strap on the Spruce, a snatch block on a nearby Poplar, and an anchored come-along on a handy Dogwood and pulled it up straight and tied it off. I am hopeful the roots take hold and this lives a long life:

(5 minutes of an old guy and his son climbing ladders, rigging anchor points, and ratcheting a come-along on a sunny day)

And, a couple views of snow covered stacks in the background

The wood wall looks excellent.

Sheboygan County recommends Swamp White Oak and Siver Maple.
Swamp white oak is a great tree. Get that started in those areas and you'll not regret it. I have some on my camp property and had a bunch at the edge of the beaver pond across the road from my house in the 1970s.

Side note: I starting growing cannabis in May 1970. First year or two it was right out in the garden and in a bedroom window-box since few knew what it was and no one was looking for it. That didn't last. So then I tried growing in far flung areas of meadow, but rodents ate every plant despite all fencing measures. In the end, my best and favorite weed-grow was what my diary labelled: "cross bar oak." I wired up a horizontal oak pole to two swamp white oaks growing about 10 or twelve feet apart, such that the pole was well above the water. From the pole I hung (6, 8, 10?--can't remember) sap buckets filled with the best soil and compost. At the proper time I transplanted my started plants into the buckets (from the visqueem greenhouse I tacked onto the garage wall). Those plants did well, as every couple of days I waded out and scooped cans of swamp water onto them. That operation provided my yearly supply.

I think my little ea4300 came with that chain. Really really aggressive hook but cut nice.... Until I had a falling log push my best sideways and it tickled the side of the metal saw horse I was trying out. Now it's filed normally.
AHH no I remember now, it came with semi chisel which I've not taken out the packet yet. I've been running Oregon full chisel. Checking the packaging, LX apparently.
Steve would break down quivering I reckon if he saw me! ARB waste tends to be gnarly stuff and both stoves are small so I need lots of short stuff anyway, so I aim for 12-13" on straight stuff but where there are forks, bends or wherever then I just cut at places to make the splitting easy. If they means a 4" lump, that's what I cut. Small stuff stacking is an art.

I ran a saw for the first time this year today! Tank 4 through the turquoise terror! I love that saw, 15" bar buried and throwing chips and noodles in a mix of locust, cherry, cypress, some pine and even a few bits of buddleia..... ARB waste scrounging means you take what's on offer.. particularly this year I think as gas prices are through the roof so more competition for free wood is emerging. Anyway, that saw is brilliant, it's as much fun burying the bar in a softwood log as it is in a chunk of oak or beech.

Latest posts

Back