Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys. Ducks were slow today but we picked up a couple of grouse.

I noticed that I can buy a very inexpensive scope mount for that Nagant that attaches at the rear sight base.
You really should go with a receiver mount that is screwed down like this one. I think it is around $46 on EBay.

Attachments

• 20200908_112318.jpg
    20200908_112318.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Isn't that a pain to load? The mount I used on mine went from the front to the back of the receiver, we ended up notching the center out of it, cause you could hardly get the rim past the rail.
Edit, never mind I see it sits front father now that I clicked on the pic..

Isn't that a pain to load? The mount I used on mine went from the front to the back of the receiver, we ended up notching the center out of it, cause you could hardly get the rim past the rail.
Edit, never mind I see it sits front father now that I clicked on the pic..
You can always bottom load them but it is a PITA.

Hey guys. Ducks were slow today but we picked up a couple of grouse.

I noticed that I can buy a very inexpensive scope mount for that Nagant that attaches at the rear sight base.
Don't waste your money Buy a "Rock Solid" mount like on my rifle here in this pic. Those cheap mounts don't hold zero and it will drive you insane.

And yes, This is a Mosin Nagant, I just Highly modify them. This one is a .30x54R Improved 40 degree, The cartridge on the right is the original 7.62x54R

Attachments

• mosin 3.jpg
    mosin 3.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • mosin 2.jpg
    mosin 2.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • mosin 1.jpg
    mosin 1.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
I have built many of these custom Mosin's, I have done them in these calibers:

6.5 PRC
30-40 Krag Ackley Improved
6.5x54R
.30x54R
7.62x54R

And lastly, I just chambered a barrel yesterday for my newest build in 7x65R which a seldom seen here in the States European cartridge that duplicates the performance of the .280 Remington.

I have won several Long Range Matches with these 100 year old rifles, One is a Remington Mosin, One is a Westinghouse, and several Ishevsk.

Got a bit more split up today, I'm sure guys that smoke meat are cussing me. Lots of black cherry went into the shed today. I didn't get the big rounds split though. Seen one of the chickens on the wrong side of the neighbors falling down fence. Had to Chace Dot down, catch her and stick her back in our yard. Apparently she wandered down near the end of the neighbors fence, were a branch fell years ago and took the fence out. I've mentioned this to him several times, as it's normally where his dogs get through to come over to my place.
The fence is right on the property line, favors my side a decent bit, so I called the township and asked what if anything was to be done? The manager (they have been dealing with this guy for 20+ years, my neighbor is a massive prick) kinda sighed and said fix it, don't fix it, rip it out, do whatever you want. If he gives you any grief let him know to call, we'll deal with it.
I had some fence laying around from the garden. Few new T posts and about 20 feet of fence, removal of a lot of multiflower rose bush, a little maple, wild cherry, and the original branch that caused the issue, and it was fixed. I ran a string line to make sure the trees were on my side, the neighbor will complain. Nothing he can do about it.
After talking with the wife, we decided were just going to put up our own fence. I need to talk with the township (again) amd see what the set back is, or of I can take his garbage fence out and put up my own on the line. I'm sure that will be fun...

Just about when I got back to the rest of the splitting, the splitter ran out of gas. Filled it up, just pulled the rope and there's this guy standing in my front yard, next to the wood pile. Turns out he lives down the lane and wanted to know if I cut wood? Said yep, why? Here he had a double trunk tulip Poplar uproot in his back yard. One trunk down on his sand mound, the other propped up in a walnut tree, hanging over my jerk neighbors fence. After about an hour long conversation, I told him I'd happily clean up the one that was down, but the hung up one is beyond what I can handle. That and how it's having over the jerk neighbors fence/propped on the jerk neighbors tree, I wouldn't touch it. Going to need the 390xp and 36" bar for most of the downed trunk. It's huge. He asked me not to take any pictures of it, but I'll get some when I get it back to my place. Bonus for me was he gave me permission to work at it whenever I wanted, and I can run the kubota back and forth across his yard!
Any way, sorry for the long winded post, few pics of that black cherry rounds, and the wood shed.

Attachments

• 20221011_165903.jpg
    20221011_165903.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221011_165906.jpg
    20221011_165906.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221011_165913.jpg
    20221011_165913.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Was just under 70 this afternoon, and calm, so I went for a 20 mi bike ride ... down to the rail trail, on the rail trail and back. (I'm 1.8 mi from the rail trail).

Saw dozens of Painted Turtles sunning themselves on the logs in the swamp, and saw 2 snakes, a Garter and a Corn Snake. I don't imagine I'll be seeing them too much longer; it has been going down into the 30s several nights lately

I checked two different sources, and both said the Corn Snake is located in the Southeast and comes as far North as NJ! I guess we will have to modify that a bit, because here it is! The Corn Snake is described as a colorful member of the Rat Snake family. I estimate he was about 2.5', but thin.

Attachments

• IMG_20221011_142757723_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221011_142757723_HDR.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221011_142817054_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221011_142817054_HDR.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 0
And lastly, I just chambered a barrel yesterday for my newest build in 7x65R which a seldom seen here in the States European cartridge that duplicates the performance of the .280 Remington.
Actually, the 7x65R is held to a bit less pressures than a .280 Rem., so it doesn't quite duplicate the .280.

The R was originally designed for older break open actions, so loaded lighter.

I own/shoot and reload for both cartridges, and have been for many years...

SR

Was just under 70 this afternoon, and calm, so I went for a 20 mi bike ride ... down to the rail trail, on the rail trail and back. (I'm 1.8 mi from the rail trail).

Saw dozens of Painted Turtles sunning themselves on the logs in the swamp, and saw 2 snakes, a Garter and a Corn Snake. I don't imagine I'll be seeing them too much longer; it has been going down into the 30s several nights lately

I checked two different sources, and both said the Corn Snake is located in the Southeast and comes as far North as NJ! I guess we will have to modify that a bit, because here it is! The Corn Snake is described as a colorful member of the Rat Snake family. I estimate he was about 2.5', but thin.
That looks like an eastern milk snake to me... Saw one while hiking on Bear Mountain in CT on Saturday and saw one on my bicycle trip as I went through WV (the first time). Had a rat snake visit while prepping to seal my parents' driveway last Thursday. The mike snake was maybe 2 feet long and the rat snake was about 5 feet. There was a juvenile rat snake in the garage too... didn't get any pictures as I had driveway sealer all over my hands by then--spreading 9 buckets it was inevitable! :confused:

MilkSnake.gifRatSnake.gif

I accomplished a little bit of fab on the log splitter today...I had some of the old crap to cut out, also I moved the axle carriage forward on the beam to take some weight off the front. Jobs like this, I'm thankful to have a plasma cutter...makes quick work of the old mounts.

Before:
20221011_120905.jpg

After...there's angle supporting the plate underneath. Once I figure out exactly where I want the motor, I'll drill out the mounts:

20221011_173905.jpg20221011_173850.jpg

I accomplished a little bit of fab on the log splitter today...I had some of the old crap to cut out, also I moved the axle carriage forward on the beam to take some weight off the front. Jobs like this, I'm thankful to have a plasma cutter...makes quick work of the old mounts.

Before:
View attachment 1023368

After...there's angle supporting the plate underneath. Once I figure out exactly where I want the motor, I'll drill out the mounts:

View attachment 1023370View attachment 1023369
Isn't that axle too far back given that huge I-beam you're using. Seems like it would be real tongue heavy.

Isn't that axle too far back given that huge I-beam you're using. Seems like it would be real tongue heavy.

Actually, it's not bad...the motor and oil tank are going behind the axle. Even with nothing on it, I can pick it up by the tongue and move it around. If I set the motor in the general area it's going in, it gets even lighter on the tongue.

I moved the axle forward already by about 8". I don't want to go too far, as I want some of the weight over the tongue. The design of the carriage lends itself to me moving the axle forward/backwards if I discover that I don't like the balance once everything is in place.

The snake is near identical to eastern milk snakes we have here.

Latest posts

Back