Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most of the NYC reservoirs were created by damning up streams, so many of them look a lot like rivers in places (see attached).

They are also often named after the towns they buried, which caused a lot of resentment from folks whose families had lived in those towns for generations.

You can compensate people to move, but you can't give them their town back.

Bordens condensed milk used to be in Brewster NY, but the NYC reservoirs closed so many dairy farms they moved their operation.

The reservoirs also have many restrictions ... no motor or sail boats, and no swimming. Row boats are only allowed by permit, and either have to remain at the reservoir and get steam cleaned before they re-enter.

I used to fish from shore at some of the local reservoirs, but you can't do it anymore. The lawn fertilizers, etc make it impossible to retrieve any line you throw out (too much vegetation). Very disappointing, I've taken my grandsons a few times and had to return home w/o ever getting a line wet.

My property is to the West of Rte 268, in that section where you can see the reservoir to the North, East and West. The nearest town is Apex. Actually, NYC DEP property blocks my Northern view, but I can see the reservoir both East and West.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/C...9b097ec3800f7f!8m2!3d42.0941433!4d-75.3208107
I always thought the New York rules were so stupid as there’s so many other sources of pollution going to the lakes, but God forbid somebody swims in it lol

Urban legend has it that the former North American record northern pike that supposedly was taken in Sacandaga, was actually taken in a reservoir by Greenville, therefore illegal.

IF I really have a lot of snow to move, this is what I use,

tractor-Agco-Allis-03-5660.jpg

It will move a lot more snow than we ever get around here, even without chains on it...

SR

I was just searching for a plow suitable for my loader last night. The loader bucket is 9’ 8” wide, so I’m thinking the plow should be 14 or 16 feet wide. I don’t know what angles plows are set at, or I could use a trigonometry calculator to figure plow size. The road our mountain place is on doesn’t get plowed, so I’m considering it for more winter access.

I took less than a few days of typing as they had messed my schedule up really bad, then once I couldn't catch up, because I started a week late, they finally got me into my actual classes. Two weeks of screwing around to get me into the right courses, half the time folks don't believe me when I tell them this stuff as it's not supposed to happen that way, not sure why I seem to be in that club. I also never got a certificate for 2yrs at the tech school because they changed the sheet metal fab course to heating and cooling so I didn't qualify for either. One of the things that upset me most at the time that went sideways, was when they changed the age you could buy alcohol from 18 to 21 the yr before I turned 18. If it weren't for bad luck, I wouldn't have any at all :laugh:.
So, back to the typing... I still type 100 words a minute even though I didn't finish but one complete week of the class, the only problem is that it take me 20 minutes to fix all the mistakes :laughing:.

I used to drink at a bar in Ahsaka, Id before I went in the service. I got thrown out when I came home on leaved. 10:30 PM and I would be 21 at midnight!

After cutting up those large pines for a neighbor on Christmas Eve, I set out to start felling dead Red Oak for firewood. This one was about 18" DBH, and more or less carrying it's weight in a direction that would work for the trees around it. So, notched and back cut in about 1:38:

Then, before the fingers went numb, I finished up the tank of mix on bucking it:

IMG_1927.jpg

Didn't get the whole log bucked before I ran out of mix, but I have off tomorrow too, and the weather is supposed to be perfect again for splitting, hauling, and stacking.

Most of the NYC reservoirs were created by damning up streams, so many of them look a lot like rivers in places (see attached).

They are also often named after the towns they buried, which caused a lot of resentment from folks whose families had lived in those towns for generations.

You can compensate people to move, but you can't give them their town back.

Bordens condensed milk used to be in Brewster NY, but the NYC reservoirs closed so many dairy farms they moved their operation.

The reservoirs also have many restrictions ... no motor or sail boats, and no swimming. Row boats are only allowed by permit, and either have to remain at the reservoir and get steam cleaned before they re-enter.

I used to fish from shore at some of the local reservoirs, but you can't do it anymore. The lawn fertilizers, etc make it impossible to retrieve any line you throw out (too much vegetation). Very disappointing, I've taken my grandsons a few times and had to return home w/o ever getting a line wet.

My property is to the West of Rte 268, in that section where you can see the reservoir to the North, East and West. The nearest town is Apex. Actually, NYC DEP property blocks my Northern view, but I can see the reservoir both East and West.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/C...9b097ec3800f7f!8m2!3d42.0941433!4d-75.3208107
I can still shore fish on the Rondout . Not many homes that fertilize around here other than deer bear poop fertilizer but I know the down counties it's a big problem, have to have that green lawn

Dose anyone know how the term "cold enough to freeze the balls off a brass monkey" came about?
The story I have heard is that cannon balls were stacked in pyramids on the decks of the old battle ships on a brass base to keep them standing. When it got cold enough the brass would contract and the balls would start to fall off of the pile.

The story I have heard is that cannon balls were stacked in pyramids on the decks of the old battle ships on a brass base to keep them standing. When it got cold enough the brass would contract and the balls would start to fall off of the pile.
That is correct sir.

Had a storm coming out of the Northeast yesterday that took the power out Christmas afternoon. It's STIHL out. Thankyou Ben Franklin, for inventing the wood stove! 👍😉 At least we can STIHL cook, heat wash water, and heat our shanty.

Hey you..... quit posting pics and videos of the west coast......yer makin' me homesick....😢

Of course I'm kidding about the quitting part.....keep it up!

I used to love going down to the mouth of the Columbia river and watching the storms come in off the pond.

Latest posts

Back