Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't remember the aftermath but as a youngster I was at a friends house and he wanted to show me his fathers Luger. He was fiddling with it and a shot fired off. Put a good sized divot at our feet in the tiled concrete floor, then ricocheted into the finished ceiling. Not funny but I'm sitting here giggling thinking about the measures he must have taken to hide the evidence which was right in front of dad's gun case.
My dad has a real nice luger the artillery model with the longer barrel, pretty sweet looking gun that my my grandfather brought back from the war. Trying to find the stock and snail drum along with the special holster has been tough, there out there but command big big money

Very nice, sounds like good hunting!

Not sure what you mean by little, but I thought it was a M77-22 myself. Just wasn't sure if it was a .22LR or a .22WMR. Action looks almost like a short A. Like maybe its a .222 or .223 or something.
Any way. I have an All-wether 77-22 myself in .22WMR. I absolutely love the rifle! Two thumbs up!👍👍
I Definitely wouldn't mind owning one in 35 Whelen!!! 🤣👍
View attachment 1053586

Nice gun, but since I handload, I go right from 22 LR (several) to my Ruger American Rifle in 223.

It shoots real well with either 52 or 55 grain Hornady Hp bullets propelled with either H-335 or CFE-223.

Local guy. He bought it along with a bunch of misc parts for other saws. Could not get it to keep running.
So far it needs a fuel line and vent line/screw. I'll sonic tank the carb as I think it has some crud internally that just blowing out won't get. I had the same issue with one of the 200ts I got. It would sort of run with the low screw out 2 turns...OE carb. Disassembled, tanked it and reassembled...runs great.
He had cleaned it up some but it still needs some love. Even has a sprocket rather than the old spur 😀 P&C are perfect, rings look good. It had a fair amount of mix oil inside the muffler so another carb issue clue.
Not gonna pull the cyl as it looks too pretty inside...other than carbon.View attachment 1053520View attachment 1053522 Will strip the rest down and clean it up. All OE
What size bar should it get?View attachment 1053519
Looks like a nice saw.
If I was to keep that I'd want to pull the cylinder and clean that carbon out, but I wouldn't ;).
Carbon like that is also one of the reasons I hate removing mufflers on saws I've not ran. They like to drop small pieces of carbon, which will put a smear on the piston and then guys:crazy2:, even though it's no big deal at all.

Spent a good part of Saturday morning processing some of my scrounge. As much as I envy you guys with the log splitters I can't justify the cost, so I'm the splitter. For the amount I use, a plain old single bit ax works perfectly, and its good exercise to boot. Don't get me wrong, if I was heating with wood or needed a much larger supply I'd probably get one..

Got it cut to length with the 170, some of it had knots, but nothing too terrible.

1675185155670.png

This oak split really nice, I was actually enjoying myself.. having a good sharpened ax doesn't hurt either..

1675185245191.png

I can't remember the aftermath but as a youngster I was at a friends house and he wanted to show me his fathers Luger. He was fiddling with it and a shot fired off. Put a good sized divot at our feet in the tiled concrete floor, then ricocheted into the finished ceiling. Not funny but I'm sitting here giggling thinking about the measures he must have taken to hide the evidence which was right in front of dad's gun case.
If I did something like that I wouldn't be at to sit down for year!
Plus no more hunting or range time with brother and pa for at least two years!
Thank the higher power neither of you got hurt or killed!

Spent a good part of Saturday morning processing some of my scrounge. As much as I envy you guys with the log splitters I can't justify the cost, so I'm the splitter. For the amount I use, it works for me and its good exercise to boot. Don't get me wrong, if I was heating with wood or needed a much larger supply I'd probably get one..

Got it cut to length with the 170, some of it had knots, but nothing too terrible.

View attachment 1053691

This oak split really nice, I was actually enjoying myself.. having a good sharpened ax doesn't hurt either..

View attachment 1053692
Reminds me of ol Yeller when she was younger! 😭 No splints or zip ties and all!

Nice gun, but since I handload, I go right from 22 LR (several) to my Ruger American Rifle in 223.

It shoots real well with either 52 or 55 grain Hornady Hp bullets propelled with either H-335 or CFE-223.
Yeah roger, and .223 isn't much more expensive than the rimfire magnums really. I mean it is a little but not much! At least hear on the Island it ain't much more than the magnum rimfires .22WMR and .17HMR ammo is spennnnndy especially for a rimfire!

I see you mention cfe-223 pretty often. You like it? Seems like it would work for a pretty wide range of calibers.

Yeah roger, and .223 isn't much more expensive than the rimfire magnums really. I mean it is a little but not much! At least hear on the Island it ain't much more than the magnum rimfires .22WMR and .17HMR ammo is spennnnndy especially for a rimfire!
.10 does add up though when you're letting 30 fly at a time :envy:.
I'm still a little sore from shooting Saturday, guess I need to get out a lot more.
Maybe running a saw more would help too:chainsaw:.
Whens that skid supposed to be there.

If I did something like that I wouldn't be at to sit down for year!
Plus no more hunting or range time with brother and pa for at least two years!
Thank the higher power neither of you got hurt or killed!
Guess I should share my stupid moment. Didn't have kids and I was pretty into buying old cheap military guns and sporterizing them. Has a mosin nagant. The dar action worked super hard and was gritty feeling. So I disassembled the gun, broke out the lapping compound and proceeded to bed in the bolt to its ramp. After about 500000000 (im sure im exaggerating) times of cycling the action it felt pretty good. So I cleaned it up, and stuck a round in it. Went to close the bolt and bang. Shot a hole through the bottom of the gun cabinet. Couldn't hear right for a little while after that. Surprised the heck out of me.i had the trigger group out so I wasn't expecting it to go off. Soon as I closed the bolt it came off the ramp and firing pin slammed front without the trigger to hold it back. Sure was gald no one was around.

.10 does add up though when you're letting 30 fly at a time :envy:.
I'm still a little sore from shooting Saturday, guess I need to get out a lot more.
Maybe running a saw more would help too:chainsaw:.
Whens that skid supposed to be there.
Ships north Feb 2 I believe. Its at the terminal now!👍 About a two week sailing North.
Ordered a set of Camso continuous solid rubber tracks just this morning.
imagejpeg_0_04.jpgimage000000(6).jpg

Been a while since I had to get 22mag, but last round I bought was $9.00 for a brick. I don't expect to have to buy again for the rest of my life, but .223 easily costs a lot more if your getting anything decent. Would love to find some 55gr v-max at a reasonable price.

Tell me about it! The tracks will probably get hear before the skid. How am I supposed to unload the tracks out of my pickup without anything to pick with!!!🤷🤣🤣
When I got my tractor I was able to start selling some implements since I had a way to move them around/load them for people.
I

Fingers are crossed. Good sources tell me it will do what I need it to just fine. We shall see.
It's amazing the uses I've found for the loader. One that I really liked was using it as a giant "step" to work under the hood of the trucks lol.
Hard to think of how many things I found to do with it.
Here's a few.
Screen Shot 2023-01-31 at 1.01.13 PM.png
Dug a few trenches with the bolt on forks.
Screen Shot 2023-01-31 at 1.06.12 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-01-31 at 1.06.28 PM.png
Portable workbench.
Screen Shot 2023-01-31 at 1.09.40 PM.png
Whole trailer jack lol.
Screen Shot 2023-01-31 at 1.26.51 PM.png

I see you mention cfe-223 pretty often. You like it? Seems like it would work for a pretty wide range of calibers.
Yes, I like it a lot! Seems to be able to give 100 FPS higher velocity in some calibers, but also seems to be very accurate and meters very well. It is also supposed to reduce copper fouling and be temperature stable.

Hodgdon (on-line) gives loading data for many calibers, and it produces the highest velocities for 223, 308, 338 Marlin, 338-06 (200 gr), 35 Rem and 22-250.

So far, I have only shot it in 223 and 220 Swift, but both shot very well (Swift gave me a 1/4" group). Also provides 2nd highest velocity for 30-30 (after LVR), so I plan to try it in that to see if it improves accuracy. I also plan to use it (in the future) in my daughter's 308 and have loaded 338-06 with it, but the gun barrel is not on the gun yet, so that is on hold.

Note: There is no date for loading it in 220 Swift. Going from the 22-250 stuff I thought I could go 41 grains behind a 55 gr Hp, but I got some mild pressure signs, so I backed it down to 40 grains and all was OK. Should be about 3,800 FPS and better accuracy than my IMR 4064 and meters MUCH better.

Some of the local gun shops are charging a fortune for it, but Cabela's had it for under $40/lb.

I may continue to use H-335 in the 223 as I have a lot of it, and my Ruger American Rifle (bolt action) lets me exceed published loads w/o any problems. That gun really seems to like 26.5 gr of H-335 behind a 52 gr Hornady Hp. That way I can save the CFE 223 for the 220, 308 and 338-06.

Back