Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spent a good part of Saturday morning processing some of my scrounge. As much as I envy you guys with the log splitters I can't justify the cost, so I'm the splitter. For the amount I use a plain old single bit ax, it works for me and its good exercise to boot. Don't get me wrong, if I was heating with wood or needed a much larger supply I'd probably get one..

Got it cut to length with the 170, some of it had knots, but nothing too terrible.

View attachment 1053691

This oak split really nice, I was actually enjoying myself.. having a good sharpened ax doesn't hurt either..

View attachment 1053692

On Feb 10-11, I'll be in Yulee, at Journey Church on Amelia Concourse Parkway doing some selctive clearing and grubbing. There very well may be some Swamp Chestnut Oak, PIgnut Hickory, Gum of a couple types, Cypres, Pines, coming down if you want to come excercise your Tools. I will have my Skid Steer on site. Building a disc golf course for them, for the community, and I need to make it easier for the Mulcher to get through, if you can beleive that?

On Feb 10-11, I'll be in Yulee, at Journey Church on Amelia Concourse Parkway doing some selctive clearing and grubbing. There very well may be some Swamp Chestnut Oak, PIgnut Hickory, Gum of a couple types, Cypres, Pines, coming down if you want to come excercise your Tools. I will have my Skid Steer on site. Building a disc golf course for them, for the community, and I need to make it easier for the Mulcher to get through, if you can beleive that?
Thanks for the offer..That's about an hour north of me. Let me see what I got going on Saturday and maybe I'll swing up.

Sitting here at my dang desk makin ebay listings.... waiting for the weather to straighten out..... testing cookies....

Somebody start a fight or something... I hate desk work!
View attachment 1053809
Your ugly, your dog is lazy and stihl ultra oil is the best... 😉🤣

The maple syrup evaporator pan came today. I was a little apprehensive about ordering from Vevor because one review site said it was a scam and another said it was legit. Price for this 18x24x6 SS evaporator pan was roughly half of most places . The pan came promptly and good communication from time of purchase and shipping info . It’s very sturdy at 1.5 mm has a mirror finish inside and brushed outside . Welds are good not perfect but acceptable . View attachment 1053823View attachment 1053824
Vevor is very hit and miss. I bought a cheap 250amp welder from them and am less then impressed. My 140 amp Everlast outwelds it.
I've had an unintentional discharge before as well. Stupid Operator Error on my behalf. I say stupid because the arm wasn't pointed in a safe direction. Fortunately, no body in the empty parking lot to be standing in front of it!! 😣 🤦 Firearms safety rule number one before anything else!
ALWAYS KEEP THE GUN POINTED IN A SAFE DIRECTION!
I was 14, my dad witnessed it and was not at all happy!
Experience gained by exercising poor judgement that day I'll tell you!

When my two older brothers and I were six seven and eight. My dad took us into his room and pointed out the loaded .44RM under the head shelf. At the head of the bead. Then explained how dangerous and what it was capable of. He did this about twice a year since I can remember until each one of us reached ten years old. He also explained the consequences if we ever stepped foot in the room while he was gone. He always kept the door closed when he and ma were at work. One day it was cracked open. I snuck in opened the little door on the head board compartment and touched the pistol handle with my little index finger then quickly shut the little door and ran out of the room as fast as I could. I never told anyone about it until now! To this day I STIHL don't know why I did it knowing the rath that my father would bring to bare when it came to firearm dangers, the room being strickly off limits to us kids and breaking the strictest rule in the house of trespassing into that room without permission? I really don't know why I chose to do it, and because of it. I don't think I could ever leave a loaded gun easily accessable in a house with children in it.
I have a very similar rule for my man cave. Only creature allowed in there without me is my dog. Kids treat it like a black abyss, and better keep treating it like that.

First snake I saw on my property and I had a close call with it. I was walking toward the outside corner of my barn and he was on the other side heading my way. We both hit the corner at the same time and I had to misstep to keep from stepping on him, lost my balance and fell down.
The only handgun I owned at the time was a Ruger Security Six that I bought used in the 70's. Shot around 15 foot away in a kneeling position with full wadcutter ammo while he was going through some tall brush. Lucky shot I think? Big sucker, 5' long and almost thick as a beverage can in the middle.

View attachment 1053914

View attachment 1053915

View attachment 1053916

View attachment 1053917
Only good snake is a dead one!

So sometime here in the next few months I should be picking up a nice used 2001 jetta tdi 5 speed from a co-worker. He bought it a few years ago for his kid, and his kid hates driving stick. Pretty excited about it.
Trying to control myself and not buy parts for it. It's so cheap to make power out of I could puke. Seems 150 to 180hp is reasonable out of them from the 90hp factory rating. Seems much higher and you start running reliability issues. For somewhere around $3k gets pretty much everything upgraded. Clutch, studs, camshaft, injectors, turbo, intercooler piping , exhaust, and tuner. Dirt cheap if you've ever gone performance diesel anything. I have more then that in the turbo system on my 12valve. Heck the clutch in that truck cost nearly $2k.

Heck yeah man! Nice!👍
I'd definitely love to have both a skid steer and a tractor!

Maybe I will one day? 🤷 Who knows?
Me too, but I'd rather have a mini excavator, a mini skid, and a tractor ;).
Payed fir themselves enough times he could finally switch over and buy himself a STIHL!👍
View attachment 1053918
Nice one kid 🤣 .
I have more stihls than most stihl fan boys :p. The 200 is a great saw, if you get one that actually runs well and doesn't constantly need work done on it. They were factory hotrods, and you know how much work hotrods need; even with all their power/rpm, the 201 will take a 200's lunch money. But don't tell the 200 only guys that or their hair will light on fire 🔥. I don't mind stihls, as long as ergonomics aren't an issue when using them, so basically bucking or saws under 13lbs. I have an ms192 rear handle, ms200 top handle, ms201 rear handle, and recently bought a ported 241. I wish husky had better offerings under 50cc, while I like the 540t, they are much harder to find and harder yet to find at a good price, so the 200/201 works better in that class. I have the modded 242xp, but it has a front tensioner so I'm not as apt to grab if on jobs. I also have a ported ms261c, but I run one of my late model 550mk1's for limbing and smaller falling, nothing handles as well as a 550mk1. For 60s I have a few, but rarely run them, and wouldn't have bought the 562 if it hadn't been ported, even at that unless I was falling a bunch of smaller trees I'd probably just use the ported 365 or a modded 372 as they have more power (but the 562 will most likely get a little better fuel economy so I'd use that falling/ limbing smaller trees). Still waiting to try an ms400 to see if it has a place in the arsenal. Then the ported 7900 comes out for anything bigger, larger than that I'd just call friends with bigger saws or if it was a job I may buy something and then sell it when I was done.
As I've said many times in the past, hand me a saw full of fluids with a sharp chain, and let's cut. But for handling and looks, husky wins hands down, but it seems every manufacturer has at least a few good model's, heck I even have an echo 😆.

Me too, but I'd rather have a mini excavator, a mini skid, and a tractor ;).

Nice one kid 🤣 .
I have more stihls than most stihl fan boys :p. The 200 is a great saw, if you get one that actually runs well and doesn't constantly need work done on it. They were factory hotrods, and you know how much work hotrods need; even with all their power/rpm, the 201 will take a 200's lunch money. But don't tell the 200 only guys that or their hair will light on fire 🔥. I don't mind stihls, as long as ergonomics aren't an issue when using them, so basically bucking or saws under 13lbs. I have an ms192 rear handle, ms200 top handle, ms201 rear handle, and recently bought a ported 241. I wish husky had better offerings under 50cc, while I like the 540t, they are much harder to find and harder yet to find at a good price, so the 200/201 works better in that class. I have the modded 242xp, but it has a front tensioner so I'm not as apt to grab if on jobs. I also have a ported ms261c, but I run one of my late model 550mk1's for limbing and smaller falling, nothing handles as well as a 550mk1. For 60s I have a few, but rarely run them, and wouldn't have bought the 562 if it hadn't been ported, even at that unless I was falling a bunch of smaller trees I'd probably just use the ported 365 or a modded 372 as they have more power (but the 562 will most likely get a little better fuel economy so I'd use that falling/ limbing smaller trees). Still waiting to try an ms400 to see if it has a place in the arsenal. Then the ported 7900 comes out for anything bigger, larger than that I'd just call friends with bigger saws or if it was a job I may buy something and then sell it when I was done.
As I've said many times in the past, hand me a saw full of fluids with a sharp chain, and let's cut. But for handling and looks, husky wins hands down, but it seems every manufacturer has at least a few good model's, heck I even have an echo 😆.
Anyone using the 540i XP curious how they cut for small limbing.

Anyone using the 540i XP curious how they cut for small limbing.
I've never used one, but it seems to be the standard for the battery top handles. Some of the guys out west aren't allowed to use gas saws when it's dry and have been usithe battery saws for a while now. They will even use a large battery in a backpack with a tether going to the saw for extended run time.
I can find some videos later, but most are cutting softwoods.

Most snakes are beneficial and should be left alone. Although many poisonous ones are protected, I won't get on anyone for removing them near their home.

Snakes that eat bugs, mice and rats are very beneficial and should be left alone, like this beautiful fella I saw on the bike path:

After much debate I believe we concluded it is likely and Eastern Milk Snake, but they look very similar to Corn Snakes (both are good).

Attachments

• IMG_20221011_142757723_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221011_142757723_HDR.jpg
    6.9 MB · Views: 0
He was using the STHIL to cut threw the nails , saves the Husqvarna to do the real wood cutting , Lol 😆
More proof Huskies need only apply for light duty. :laughing: Now back to regularly scheduled programming. :drinkingcoffee:Wbh
When Cutt'n through steel nails I do believe STIHL was the saw of choice. 🤔I mean I get it.🤷 STIHL fir steel! 👍

As seen posted in a local store. I wasn't sure if this belonged in this thread or the WTF thread... Makes me rethink the roughly 16-20 cords I've given away in recent years!
View attachment 1054014
239.99🤣🤣🤣 Why the heck dont they just say 240.00??? Also, isn't that a little steep fir 1/3 a cord?

I was hoping I could throw this monster on my mill, but it was 44” across. Even an 8’ log would run over 7,000 lbs. I have put that much on my trailer, but never again. So it’s all going to firewood. Got 1 big load so far.

View attachment 1053933
That's an oak? Wow what a monster

Most snakes are beneficial and should be left alone. Although many poisonous ones are protected, I won't get on anyone for removing them near their home.

Snakes that eat bugs, mice and rats are very beneficial and should be left alone, like this beautiful fella I saw on the bike path:

After much debate I believe we concluded it is likely and Eastern Milk Snake, but they look very similar to Corn Snakes (both are good).
Looks like a milk snake to me... If it was smaller it could also be confused with an immature rat snake. The rat snakes have somewhat similar patterns when young and eventually turn black. Google "immature black rat snake pictures" for examples.

Are they venomous?

Back