Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea, I remember green stamps, blue stamps, plaid stamps and free drinking glasses at the gas station!
Dam…I guess I am that old. We collected Green stamps for years and many times by necessity. Mom supplemented the tiny income with those suckers.

Post storm rail trail clean up today... These are five of the spots we cleared. I also cut up a lot of trees that were on the shoulders of the trail as well as felled a half dozen dead ash. I mostly ran the saw but did move some of the debris. My tree maintenance partner does most of the debris removal. In his age bracket he's a top 10 nationally ranked triathlete and appreciates the upper body workout... Probably one of the reasons he comes close to winning overall against people 30-50 years younger!

It was a mixed bag today... ash, eastern red cedar, white pine, oak, maple and a lot of vines. The biggest was a standing ash maybe 14-15" DBH... I only ran my MS261 as most of the stuff was under 10". I had the MS461 with me but saw no reason to run it as the biggest trees were standing ash and they only needed a face cut and back cut.... didn't wedge anything today and I was able to fell them off the trail so they didn't need to be bucked.

It was a nice way to spend 4 1/2 hours on a nice day! This evening I got a report of another tree down a bit further south so I'll take a drive down the trail again later this week.

IMG_3455.jpgIMG_3456.jpgIMG_3457.jpgIMG_3458.jpg
IMG_3454.jpg

Today I got things ready to fill some firewood boxes tomorrow,

Resized-20230320-172834-S.jpg

at least my self unloading trailer makes it a bit easier. lol

Anyway, we'll see how that goes.

SR

Hey guys, just got done cleaning up after a dinner party at my house. Long story short I think you guys know that I delve into some cooking… I teach some cast-iron cooking classes and also volunteer my services for a couple of nonprofits. Tonight we did a food photo shoot which (should) help with the nonprofit promotions, so basically all of my cast-iron courses were photographed as they came out and then we get a pic of the plate with everything together. And then I had a bunch of friends over to eat the food. Was a very enjoyable time and I spaced out the courses enough so nothing was too rushed. I didn’t get any pictures myself except for the tomahawk steak going into the oven. I used a Bluetooth thermometer for the first time, that sure works nice!

I know I have some PM’s waiting for me. I will get to them as soon as my brain has rested.

I think Limby would take up a little more space than that!

I really don't think I've seen him running any clams!

My first saw was an MS310, bought it back in 2007, used it for three years then bought the 460 and the 310 sat for the next 7 years. Then I had some interest in it from a patient, stuck some fresh fuel in it and it started up and ran ok. Cleaned it up and sold it. It was an ok saw but only ok. The ported 241 is considerably faster.

Had a big weekend. Friday night was the Under 12 cricket grand final, Cowlass was playing and I'm the team coach. We had a narrow loss unfortunately but then had to drive to Melbourne which is four hours away, arriving at 1.15am. Cowlass was swimming in the State Juniors in the 50m breaststroke and missed out on the final by half a second. Then off to the football at the MCG Saturday night and we (Melbourne) had a good win. Sunday we went to Karen's Diner - where you go to get abused by the staff who are all Karens. That side of things was a bit much for me and I reckon they would get a fair number of new patrons for the novelty value but fewer repeat customers. The burger was quite good but the chips/fries were soft. Then we drove 4 hours home. It was a relief just to get back to work!

I recall them being 19¢ and there was a local joint who also sold burgers for 19¢ in an attempt to not lose business.
Using the McD’s app I am getting a crispy chicken sandwich (breast meat one) for free with a $2 purchase so a large soda, hamburger, and chicken sammich is $2.30 or so. Not bad these days!

I would be looking at whatever make of cordless tools you have. For me it's DeWalt. Then at least you can share batteries across the tools. Last year we bought a weedwhacker that came with a 9ah battery, so I'm thinking about getting a chainsaw just because. I know that battery will run a sawzall all day. Milwaukee makes a chainsaw as well. You don't need a pile of run time, anything bigger than 4" you'll likely be cranking the gas saw anyway. Half an hour run time if your clearing brush or limbing is probably 2-3 hours of work.
2-3 hours work is about all I am good for at my age. I just checked my battery drill, thought it might be a Milwaukee - nope, Black and Decker. I'm off shopping again tomorrow and still have a few places to look at, I'll see if I can find a Milwaukee and also a source for Echo. I'm ssure the prices will be pretty much in line or a bit cheaper than the Stihl.

Thanks for everyone's replies concerning the saw. I guess I owe you all the opportunity to laugh at me making an idiot of myself. It was a SCAM. Got to the listed address and no one responded to door bell. Neighbor said no one lives there with the first name given. So I came home.
Luckily I didn't loose any $ with the exception of gas for the long drive to and from StL. The high point, it reminded me why I don't like StL. Traffic and people are nuts. Glad I don't work there anymore.

Nice warm day here today so I've got outdoor work to do.

Don't feel bad. I'm glad you didn't lose anything out of it other than a few $ of fuel and some time. This is but one of the reasons I don't buy used *insert expensive item here* now. I have experience... :confused:

I buy new, and sure, there'll be good deals that I'll miss, but I also avoid the scams. I'm not competent enough with saw mechanics to know good from abused really. And I know that if I buy it new and it is good quality and I look after it, it will last. Heck, I even have a Husky mower! :crazy2: . My local mechanic guy loves servicing it. "It's a lovely machine" he says.

Gonna have to think a bit about buying a battery chain saw. $5xx for a large Stihl. $3xx for a smaller. A baby one $270 with a 40 minute battery. I could live with that but an extra battery would bump the price over $300. A lot to pay for what looks like a kid's toy. Almost need a magnifier stand to see to file the chain.

You're not taking that money with you. Buy that sucker and enjoy it. :rock:

The one parked in front his the 1945. It has the original D4600 engine and he says the engine is locked up on it because his helper left the rain cap off of it.

The one parked in the rear has a D318 in it and was tan jsut a couple years ago, however he said the last time he tried to start it the pony motor was not engaging.

Both of these grades were used to maintain our city roads up until 2013 when they bought a new Volvo.
I had used Por15 on my 02 at one point. I wire brushed it down but rust still came through it within a year. Not sure if anything can kill rust .

Using the McD’s app I am getting a crispy chicken sandwich (breast meat one) for free with a $2 purchase so a large soda, hamburger, and chicken sammich is $2.30 or so. Not bad these days!
It's cheaper on the app for sure. For 3 meals and a kids meal it's like $15.00 cheaper with the app, even cheaper if you hit the right "deal".

The 10mm has some recoil.....! I've got a SS Colt Gold Cup 45 and a SS Delta Elite 10mm. Both are good guns!
Nice to read of someone else who likes Colts.. My carry is a New Agent Lightweight.. Been hammerin on it lately.. I think you could use it for a jack hammer.. Tough lil sucker.. Also makes big holes with Federal hydroshox.

I remember Mom sending one of us kids on our bikes to the local IGA when they had a sale on bread. 5 loaves for a dollar.
Till I was adopted I was raised by my maternal grandparents. Me and pop used to do our runs every Saturday morning after tending the animals. He would pull up to Pansy Hill grocery had me $5.00. I'd go in get 2 pouches of silver cup leaf, 2 pints of iced tea and 2 tasty cake pies, and come out with the bulk of the $5.00 in change. I'd get to keep a quarter.

Latest posts

Back