Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did my first tree service job since I got my license. I don't feel I charged nearly enough.
Dispite the fact it was leaning hard twords the house and half the base was rotten. It didn't require climbing and piecing. It was a full tree length directional felling.
20230324_151111.jpg
20230324_151404.jpg
20230324_153232.jpg20230324_201053.jpg20230324_201552.jpg
20230324_201129.jpg

Bore testing can tell you everything you need to know about how much wood you have to work with as far as safely being able to control the fall. 20230324_150915.jpg
20230324_150927.jpg

Metal!😫
20230324_150932.jpg

There comes a time when it has to be climbed and rigged. This tree was far from that point. The face side of the tree was dang near all punk. The back side, (holding side and hinge wood) was plenty sound.👍
20230324_153250.jpg
The decision to face up and fall was strictly made by bore testing!👍I cut my outside corner well into commitment to keep it pulling away from the house.

Oh! You guys didn't know I had residential and urban tree removal experience also???
Well, you better ask somebodyyyyyyyyyy! 😎

Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware!

Did my first tree service job since I got my license. I don't feel I charged nearly enough.
Dispite the fact it was leaning hard twords the house and half the base was rotten. It didn't require climbing and piecing. It was a full tree length directional felling.
View attachment 1071623
View attachment 1071625
View attachment 1071626View attachment 1071629View attachment 1071628
View attachment 1071631

Bore testing can tell you everything you need to know about how much wood you have to work with as far as safely being able to control the fall. View attachment 1071632
View attachment 1071633

Metal!😫
View attachment 1071634

There comes a time when it has to be climbed and rigged. This tree was far from that point. The face side of the tree was dang near all punk. The back side, (holding side and hinge wood) was plenty sound.👍
View attachment 1071636
The decision to face up and fall was strictly made by bore testing!👍I cut my outside corner well into commitment to keep it pulling away from the house.

Congratulations! From one business owner to another, don't be afraid to charge for your hard earned expertise!

Congratulations! From one business owner to another, don't be afraid to charge for your hard earned expertise!
I did that job for 500.00
This job is a full haul out removal and tree tree needs to be climbed and pieced out. It has a good LZ, so minimal rigging will be required. 🤔I bid 1200.00 🤷
20230401_144756.jpg20230401_144821.jpg20230401_144733.jpg

View attachment 1071623
View attachment 1071625
View attachment 1071631

Bore testing can tell you everything you need to know about how much wood you have to work with as far as safely being able to control the fall. View attachment 1071632
View attachment 1071633

Metal!😫
View attachment 1071634

View attachment 1071636

Oh! You guys didn't know I had residential and urban tree removal experience also???

Looks like you done it about right, boss. 👍

View attachment 1071623
View attachment 1071625
View attachment 1071631

View attachment 1071633

Metal!😫
View attachment 1071634

View attachment 1071636

Nice work. What some people don't understand, is cutting down the tree is usually the easy/non-labor intensive part. It's cleaning up all the brush and removing it where the costs comes from.

Even when it comes to trees that you have to climb, the climbing is still the easy part for me. Sure, climbing ain't easy on the body, but a climber can easily bury his groundie with more stuff than they can handle. The guys I work well with, will usually rush in and pull out the limbs while I'm moving up to my next work position. On the broad trees like the east coast guys have, the roles do reverse. I'm not especially a gifted climber, so the ground guys have lots of downtime while I reposition. 🤣

I did that job for 500.00
This job is a full haul out removal and tree tree needs to be climbed and pieced out. It has a good LZ, so minimal rigging will be required. 🤔I bid 1200.00 🤷
View attachment 1071646View attachment 1071648View attachment 1071649

I don't like those short, but broad conifers. I luck out where I'm at, as most of our trees are taller, but with shorter limbs. The short limbs are easier to manipulate as a climber, easier for the ground guys to process, and you don't have to worry as much about them taking bad bounces and hitting things you didn't want to hit.

The worst were some crappy "valley" redwoods I was climbing awhile back. They were some toads, short for redwoods, but fat...the lower branches were so long that the tips would hit the ground before the butts were severed off the tree. I was surrounded by buildings, so I lots of rigging and/or getting creative with my cuts.

We had a huge influx of people move into this area during Covid as well… But I haven’t really seen any issues locally as most of the places on our road have been in their respective families for a long time. The place that sold two years ago had been in the same family since it was first opened up in the 50’s.
My area is referred to as "Brooklyn North" by many... The influx started before COVID but COVID put it into overdrive... rents and house prices are way up.

My area is referred to as "Brooklyn North" by many... The influx started before COVID but COVID put it into overdrive... rents and house prices are way up.
In our area we had quite a few people from Chicago make their summer homes permanent during Covid. Now I have neighbors who have, how shall I say it delicately, radically different viewpoints than 90% of the people in our township.

Oh, how I want to do 4 mag dumps 100 yards from their house. :innocent:

But, alas, I am a better neighbor than that.

In our area we had quite a few people from Chicago make their summer homes permanent during Covid. Now I have neighbors who have, how shall I say it delicately, radically different viewpoints than 90% of the people in our township.

I have heard the saying that it is the thot that counts. :buttkick:

So you only do two :rock: .
I have heard the saying that it is the thot that counts. :buttkick:
:laughing:

Woke up to a hit and run Saturday morning. I would love to see the damage done to the 2015 - 2021 dark gray Subaru WRX after he hit my 7x7 granite post. I have the mirror in pieces. That was how I determined the make and model of the car. It had one of those loud POS mufflers on it. We heard a loud bang at 11:20pm but nobody stopped. The right front wheel hit the stone wall behind the granite post shifting it a few inches. I'm on the hunt for the POS and posted the car and damage all over Facebook in the area. Maybe somebody will see it. My guess is the car won't be found. Local PD was notified. That is my mailbox beyond my tractor on the far left.

When you replace your mailbox make the post from a section of railroad rail, sunk plenty deep into the ground.

Then the next car that hits it will not drive away.

Latest posts

Back