Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like I'll get to scrounge 2 hackberries and a cherry from the tornado damage. Might cut tomorrow but won't be able to scrounge it out of there til it dries up some more. I would have to hire HR before I'd wheelbarrow it that far! He'd make it look easy I'm sure.

People have the right to drive on the road, not into your yard or mailbox.
As has been discussed with the other fellows, there are laws governing the road right of ways, and certainly if somebody constructs something with a purpose of maiming somebody who hits it, they may be hung out to dry

Hi guys. Loaded three of my kids into the truck today and we headed over to the north shore of Lake superior. It’s really a unique area, the only place I can really compare to is the north east part of the US-except we have freshwater.

This is an old resort on the way. I looked at buying it about 20 years ago and at that point it was still salvageable. Now it is sadly beyond repair.
47EF40E8-DE0C-42F3-B0F1-C59EB4ED80DD.jpeg

Here’s a view coming down to the lake. The other shoreline is Wisconsin about 40 miles away.
E843C8F0-1916-46DE-BFEF-807ADE0142FC.jpeg

Split Rock lighthouse
14EDE036-9592-451F-B6D3-E78ED769E272.jpegEEA22CF8-F8AB-4BB8-A956-9ECE2CA1AD14.jpeg9A6E9111-BFDC-439A-ABD4-8A922730D417.jpegBA1771A7-E5C9-440D-8F83-524831E55D7C.jpegE72244EC-B33C-4B76-B95E-5548D7F3A4DE.jpeg69EC77DD-AE49-4AA9-B702-224E944C0394.jpegEC1B6B73-5825-4CAD-9A13-17C2ED646082.jpeg

Grand Marais harbor and lighthouse
F6A50105-0E2F-4905-882C-0225D209C803.jpeg

Ah, you mean like this...

View attachment 1072773

I boxed up some noodles to give me some firestarter before Cowgirl dug it all into her horticultural compound. The 1,000kg bag was full after my candelbark noodling before she started stealing it :rolleyes:
Cut some more pieces off the big cherry this evening after work, even made a bunch of noodles since it's gonna be dry tomorrow.
20230406_200853.jpg
Put a new x-cut chain on the 261 since I dulled the other one, it was cutting nicely, but it wasn't real happy noodling, clutch cover kept getting plugged up.
20230406_194052.jpg
Waiting for the guys with bandsaw mills to run over and get all this HVC :innocent:
20230406_194117.jpg
Don't worry, I got the next round off there before and after that.
20230406_194911.jpg

Depends on chain brand. Stihl calls for 13/64. Oregon and some others call for 7/32 on 3/8 size chain.
Sometimes I use the 12/64 ;).
Am I delusional though? I'm positive that the Oregon chains called for 7/32", right?
Yes, the 13/64 is only for the 25" chains :laughing:.
Was a bit warmer yesterday near toledo/bowling Green area :baba:, little windy too.
Screenshot_20230405_130819_RadarNow!.jpg

Shame your so far away, I'm actually looking again. Put an application in with a local ups warhouse as a building/ line mechanic. Pension, great medical insurance, 401k and steady shift hours. I enjoy working at the park, but I was morning shift all week, now Friday and Saturday I'm 1 to 9 and Sunday I'm 12 to 8 then back on morning shift Monday again. Next month's prospective schedule came out and it's more of the same. Whatever hours they want me scheduled for is what happens. I talked to my manager this morning about it. Basically said his hands are tied with where I fall in seniority and how many first class guys and the second and third class guys not being able to do the shift work. To make matters worse our director stuck his head in, just to remind me I should only have to deal with this for a few more years amd should be great full that I only will have to deal with a crappy schedule for 5 to 6 years.
Later in the day we had a union meeting, where the company now wants to limit us to 16 hours on the clock with a mandatory 6 hours off. All this does is screw us even further once concert season starts. Just getting real old. I want to work for a company that appreciates their employees, pays fairly and has good benefits. I don't personally see this as asking too much, it used to be the golden standard.

So Tuesday I have a phone interview, if that goes well there's a written skills test, if that goes well a practical test, and hopefully if that goes well I'll have a new job. Won't lie, I'm a bit nervous about the electrical portion of the test (s). We use all this stuff at work but I usually have an electrician with me on the drives and plc type stuff. So we'll see how things go.
Man, those are some brutal hours. It's me and 3 other techs. The two young single guys work 7-4 and I and the other fella who have kids work 8-5.

It sucks when companies don't appreciate their employees. The whole stick it out and things will get better doesn't work anymore. There's too many better options for anyone who is willing to work.

Good luck on the interview and tests.

Great pics

Hi guys. Loaded three of my kids into the truck today and we headed over to the north shore of Lake superior. It’s really a unique area, the only place I can really compare to is the north east part of the US-except we have freshwater.

This is an old resort on the way. I looked at buying it about 20 years ago and at that point it was still salvageable. Now it is sadly beyond repair.
View attachment 1073067

Here’s a view coming down to the lake. The other shoreline is Wisconsin about 40 miles away.
View attachment 1073068

Split Rock lighthouse
View attachment 1073069View attachment 1073070View attachment 1073071View attachment 1073072View attachment 1073073View attachment 1073074View attachment 1073075

Grand Marais harbor and lighthouse
View attachment 1073081

It’s 74 here right now .Working on my 68 putting the wood bed back in View attachment 1072927View attachment 1072928
That's a beautiful wood bed. Did you JUST clear it?
Watch FB MKPL for 330 gallon totes. They hold 43 cubic feet of wood. I bought most of mine for $35 - 50 apiece. I did get one for $25.
Yup, that's exactly what I'm looking for. I'd use the 275 gallon ones for my personal use, but figure it'll make for easier "math" using the 330 gallon ones when selling face cords, or even full cords.

@chipper1 how do you like those Xcut Husky chains? I haven't tried them. Better, worse, or indifferent to the Stihl chains?
Nothing better than the x-cut chains currently in the market out of the box. They are very comparable to the stihl RS for durability, which means you go thru more files if you're used to the husky branded Oregon chains or the standard Oregon chains. The Oregon EXL chain is nice cutting, not quite as fast and certainly not as smooth as the x-cut chain(close to RS in cutting speed and durability) , but there was some hardness inconsistencies yrs ago when they came out that they seemed to iron out.
Edit;
I should say, this has been my experience cutting primarily hardwood. I answered as I figured you'd be doing the same, but then I thought about it a bit and figure I'd better clarify in case your not, and for others ;).

Anyone ever use scrounged logs to make lumber/woodworking material? Just built my wife a gardening bench and now I’m really interested in getting into woodworking. I’ve been messing around with MIG welding too, so many damn hobbies lol.
Lots of that going on in here.
Good to see you around :).

Latest posts

Back