Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm making a meatloaf for supper, it's venison/pork mix and I don't like bland food, so it's spiced up quite a bit.

One thing I like to add to my meat is garlic or in this case Ramps. My back woods are full of ramps, everything you see on the ground in this pict. are Ramps,

Resized-20230503-142441-S.jpg

and it doesn't take long to get all that you want, when you can get them by the handful,

Resized-20230503-143004-S.jpg

So, I collected a good amount and cleaned them right out in the woods, once home I cut up quite a few of them and put them in the meatloaf, that's now in a cast iron skillet in the oven.

SR

I'm making a meatloaf for supper, it's venison/pork mix and I don't like bland food, so it's spiced up quite a bit.

One thing I like to add to my meat is garlic or in this case Ramps. My back woods are full of ramps, everything you see on the ground in this pict. are Ramps,

and it doesn't take long to get all that you want, when you can get them by the handful,

So, I collected a good amount and cleaned them right out in the woods, once home I cut up quite a few of them and put them in the meatloaf, that's now in a cast iron skillet in the oven.

SR
I've never seen them here but I never really looked. They're big in west Virginia. They even have a ramp festival. Found this.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/116529...prQNEeaTH6a6tZY6lp-GpGPX7xrh17SRoCzbQQAvD_BwE

I'm off-topic here guys, but I didn't know where I should post my question. I just picked up a Stihl FS 131 string trimmer. I won't be using it for trimming, it will primarily be a brush cutter. You know, with a blade that looks like a circular saw blade.

For you guys that have put brush blades on your trimmers, which would you recommend? Stihl makes one of their own, but I don't know if it's any good or not. And I've seen the ones that have what look like regular chainsaw cutters and depth gauges on them. Are those any good? If you've got a recommendation, and you don't mind, would you please post a link to whatever it is that you do recommend? I'd appreciate it.

I'm off-topic here guys, but I didn't know where I should post my question. I just picked up a Stihl FS 131 string trimmer. I won't be using it for trimming, it will primarily be a brush cutter. You know, with a blade that looks like a circular saw blade.

For you guys that have put brush blades on your trimmers, which would you recommend? Stihl makes one of their own, but I don't know if it's any good or not. And I've seen the ones that have what look like regular chainsaw cutters and depth gauges on them. Are those any good? If you've got a recommendation, and you don't mind, would you please post a link to whatever it is that you do recommend? I'd appreciate it.
I've never used one but @Sagetown (RIP) put one of the chainsaw types on his brush cutter and loved it. Not sure what brand it was.

Stopped in time for the first two . Third deer ran into the side of my Envoy I was at dead stop he/she ran full on out of the field . Only damage was the mirror dent is old . Glad it was cold out or the deer would have come right in the window . View attachment 1079820
Glad it wasn't one of the trucks! Oh, and that you're ok!;)

SR
Lots of them around here too, they really stink when I run them over with the 4-wheeler.

I’m always afraid of something like this happening to my old vehicles . Would be worse if it was my Chevelle
There's insurance but lots of the parts on the old vehicles are unobtainium. Even if insurance paid out it would be hard to get the vehicle fixed right.

Ramps and fiddleheads are so popular there are people from Chicago who steal garbage bags full of them from our woods. We have a plate number and pictures of the people. The local sheriff's department called Chicago PD and they could give a ****.

I'm going to put up my cellular trail camera and when they pull in the driveway I'm going to run over and park my van behind their car and ride away on my bike. I'll call the sheriff from a distance and wait.

There's insurance but lots of the parts on the old vehicles are unobtainium. Even if insurance paid out it would be hard to get the vehicle fixed right.
Yes the mirrors on my 72 were one year only . The earlier were very similar but not the same . When my Chevelle got backed into Hagerty found me an NOS grille ,radiator support and headlamp doors . I had an original bumper they paid to get rechromed . They paid the claim and went after the other company . Because Progressive the landscapers insurance lowballed it then stonewalled so I had to get my ins involved 20160508_115807.jpg

Ramps and fiddleheads are so popular there are people from Chicago who steal garbage bags full of them from our woods. We have a plate number and pictures of the people. The local sheriff's department called Chicago PD and they could give a ****.

I'm going to put up my cellular trail camera and when they pull in the driveway I'm going to run over and park my van behind their car and ride away on my bike. I'll call the sheriff from a distance and wait.
Probably the same assholes that come here in Mid-October to snag a trunk full of half-decomposed rotten king salmon.

Got an Ash tree milled a couple years ago with no particular use for the wood in mind at the time. Fast forward to this week when I was debating how best to face a corner shelf 4' wide at the front. I need about 11" x 48" board. So, I pulled this 7' board out of my pile:

IMG_2697.jpg

of course it was about 6 boards down in my stack. It was an old circular saw mill, and it left blade tracks like this:

IMG_2702.jpg

I ripped it down to the 12" to cover the 11" I need, and then ran it through the planer. (The planer will handle up to 13" so that was another lucky break. Planer did a great job as far as I'm concerned:

IMG_2714.jpg

I only planed the side I will use as the front. And, I haven't sanded it - in fact, I might not:

IMG_2715.jpg

I may decide to oil it to bring that grain out a little more, but not sure.

Back