Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I appreciate all the advice and suggestions on my use of that piece of Ash. I've never done anything like this before - I'm more of a rough cut lumber to build a lean-to or wood shed guy. So, taking this from tree in the woods to a decorative piece in a room at my Lake House will be a learning experience for me. Thanks all.

Dang...made meatloaf tonight...invited a friend and his family...could have used some o them 😁
Now...need to find some Ramp starters or seeds 😁
I think you will find them VERY hard to get started. I think it takes the plants something like 2 years to get going. My brother tried to transplant some into his woods a few different times, and for some reason, he never could get any to grow.

Dad use to say that it was ants that moved the seeds and planted them, I have no idea where he got that?

SR

I'll have to walk down in the woods and see if I can find any. They sound delicious.
Did you find any? It's an early spring plant. I only cut the tops and don't take the bulbs. If you do take the bulbs I've read you're only supposed to take 25% of the patch. I think because they are so slow to establish.

There's insurance but lots of the parts on the old vehicles are unobtainium. Even if insurance paid out it would be hard to get the vehicle fixed right.
This was way back in the late 70's. A good friend had a 68 SS 396 Chevelle convertible, 3 speed manual. The other person was at fault and totaled it. They offered her X amount for her car. She said no way, she wanted HER car back. The insurance company found another SS 396 convertible right down to the yellow paint with black top and interior, and 3 speed manual. I couldn't believe it back then, now it would be all but impossible.

My new toy might work as well. 026 for scale.View attachment 1079855
By itself...
View attachment 1079856
It pulls the 36" .404 full comp chisel with authority.

No need for it, I'll probably try to sell it, but it's fun!

Thanks guys for the CAD!
That should do it. I actually retired the old Super 1050 when I bought my 660. The 661's had just come out and I wanted one. My dealer said they wouldn't give him any 661's till he sold his 660's, and they were marked at a factory clearance price.. I had cash and he knocked $300 off the sale price, thew in a 25" bar, an extra chain for the 36" and 25", a six pack of mix, 30 gallons worth, and a gallon of bar oil. Once in a blue moon I fire up the old Homelite.

Being it's on FB, I don't have a problem with their stance. I belong to two Savage collectors forums, one internet based and one FB. A new guy took pics of a POS rifle that he paid crazy money for to the collectors site and asked if he got a good deal, The seller told him it was a rare variant.. They pointed out it had the wrong wood on it, it had been drilled and tapped, had been reblued, and was pretty much worthless as a collector. All 100% true. Then he went to the FB group and cried how nasty the collectors forum was. Virtually every response was Who cares what it's worth, if you like it, it was worth it. Half a dozen replied they would like one just like it. FB is where you go when you want people to agree with you, not tell the truth. If the truth might hurt, you lie and say you like it.

The only thing I use fakebook for is marketplace. I've got a couple of buddies who are on FB dirtbike groups...I guess frequent BS is spread in those groups, they're telling me they read some stuff on there that is completely contradictory to all widely agreed upon 2 stroke tuning theory. Of course, there were plenty of people re-iterating that nonsense...my friends were trying to get me to go join that particular group, but I've got better things to do than argue with window-lickers on facebook.

Those guys in those groups are just in their own little echo chamber, they really don't know what they're talking about and they learned everything they know from other guys that didn't know what they were talking about. You enter with evidence that is in opposition to their beliefs, and suddenly you're a-holish/disagreeable/condescending.

I have a BIG oak that has the top broke off it, so today I went back to it and rotary cut a path out as close as I could get to it,

Resized-20230504-135647-S.jpg

It's leaning the wrong way and as there's a fence on that side, I'm going to winch it over into the clearing I made today. I still need to cut out one bigger tree, but I hogged out a couple 2 inchers and some very heavy brush to make some room, today.

SR

I'm still bucking up the three I drug home from the church yard. Might get my 10- 10 light weight out for some exercise on that pile tonight. Got more than half done last night with a 700 on the big stuff and a craftoulanroper 3.3 on everything 16" and under.

I'm still bucking up the three I drug home from the church yard. Might get my 10- 10 light weight out for some exercise on that pile tonight. Got more than half done last night with a 700 on the big stuff and a craftoulanroper 3.3 on everything 16" and under.
3 logs, 3 saws, sounds like a well balanced plan to me. :yes:

Got an Ash tree milled a couple years ago with no particular use for the wood in mind at the time. Fast forward to this week when I was debating how best to face a corner shelf 4' wide at the front. I need about 11" x 48" board. So, I pulled this 7' board out of my pile:

View attachment 1079834

of course it was about 6 boards down in my stack. It was an old circular saw mill, and it left blade tracks like this:

View attachment 1079843

I ripped it down to the 12" to cover the 11" I need, and then ran it through the planer. (The planer will handle up to 13" so that was another lucky break. Planer did a great job as far as I'm concerned:

View attachment 1079844

I only planed the side I will use as the front. And, I haven't sanded it - in fact, I might not:

View attachment 1079845

I may decide to oil it to bring that grain out a little more, but not

3 logs, 3 saws, sounds like a well balanced plan to me. :yes:
I must be doing something wrong? I work on the 1 log, 70 saws, which one do I want to play with today. Maybe I'll just wait till tomorrow and decide?

The needle must be leaking on my 026. It floods out with gas pouring out of the muffler. It popped with the choke on, I flipped the choke up one notch and no start. I noticed gas coming out the muffler so I let it sit. I just started it up with no choke and as soon as I let the rpms drop it stalled. The muffler is soaked with gas. What do you fellas think?
Did you try tapping on the carb with a hammer :popcorn2:.

I have a BIG oak that has the top broke off it, so today I went back to it and rotary cut a path out as close as I could get to it,

Resized-20230504-135647-S.jpg

It's leaning the wrong way and as there's a fence on that side, I'm going to winch it over into the clearing I made today. I still need to cut out one bigger tree, but I hogged out a couple 2 inchers and some very heavy brush to make some room, today.

SR
Is that the little one you showed me?

Back