Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you need me to fax you a hammer? :laughing:
Thanks for the offer! I'll let you know if I need one.

The One Where Estelle Dies Episode 15 GIF by Friends

I appreciate all the advice and suggestions on my use of that piece of Ash. I've never done anything like this before - I'm more of a rough cut lumber to build a lean-to or wood shed guy. So, taking this from tree in the woods to a decorative piece in a room at my Lake House will be a learning experience for me. Thanks all.

I guess this might be a violation of the rules of this thread (are there any?), but I quoted my own post. Again, I do appreciate all your recommendations. I finished up the end cuts at the proper angles and scribe lines, then took one of the cut-offs and applied a stripe of the stains, poly, semi-transparent water seal, and oil to have a comparison:

IMG_2721.jpg

I guess this might be a violation of the rules of this thread (are there any?), but I quoted my own post. Again, I do appreciate all your recommendations. I finished up the end cuts at the proper angles and scribe lines, then took one of the cut-offs and applied a stripe of the stains, poly, semi-transparent water seal, and oil to have a comparison:

View attachment 1080044
The one labeled Teak Oil gets my vote

Probably not the best spot but I know this thread sees a lot of eyes! I was cutting up some logs I had dropped off and bucking them to length this afternoon, while I had the saws out I decided I would try and cut as low as possible two stumps I have on the property, 20"+ red oak stumps that are probably 3 years old. I tried to get low and cut but both my saw barely would dig on these and almost seemed to "bind up" the saws. Tried both my 372xp and my 357xp. Same results. If I could get them to rev out and cut a bit I was getting smoke like you wouldn't believe off the bars and making almost no progress and making a lot of heat on the bars.. Very strange..

Went back over to the pile and both saw cut great in the 12-16" maple logs... definitely stumped at this point. Any ideas where to look first? One saw I could see maybe I screwed up but both give me the same results and both cut great outside the stump failure with plenty of oils on the bars

Been too busy to do more than scan quickly thru here in recent days.

I manage our fire district's annual Memorial Day weekend garage sale, a large affair---we've been taking in 40 grand in recent years. Today we took in some donated goods from a neighbor, a founding member of Bufffalo Springfield. He values his privacy or I'd name him. But behind his garage was a retired plow truck. Plenty of people hereabout have a dedicated plow truck that never sees the road. This guy's new Silverado--Jeez those things have grown enormous--is chained up, plow mounted--I guarantee you it never goes to town, will just know his long drive down the hill to the road.

But it was the old plow truck out back that caught my eye. A blue square front Chevy stepside. The wood plank floor of the bed has gone south. But otherwise it looked quite restorable. Front bumper looked sad, drooping from some plow action. But otherwise, I know a man on this board who would have been salivating.

We inquired. The wife said she might give it to her son. But it did not sound like the son had much interest--I mean, it's still sitting there. Small chance our fire district might have something sales-worthy for the national market. Last year I put a 1970 Kawasaki 1000 on a trailer bound for California--that was a hoot, 37 foot trailer with 16 bikes already loaded from further east.

Scrounge on gentlemen. I'm maybe a day away (each day, an hour or three) from splitting the rest of next winter's heat. Back in the day I used to enjoy cutting wood, splitting it. Now it's a chore. Not trouble really, just a chore. But oh, the satisfaction of that mountain of wood. Actually, I still like most saw work, but splitting gets old.

Went to the range today with two of my Ruger American Rifles, 30--06 and 223.

Tried 8 different bullets that I had in the 223, but only two of them shot under an inch. The 52 gr Speer HP Match shot 1/2" and the 53 gr Hornady HP Match shot 7/16".

Brought the 30-06 with two different 165 grain bullets and two different powders. I previously shot each bullet with max loads of the same powders, but neither of them liked it, so I reduced the charge a bit in each. The best group by a long shot was the Remington 165 grain bullet with 55 gr of H380. It shot 3/8".

Too bad I can't find that bullet anymore, but I do have several hundred of them. I used to buy them in bulk (500).

Still hoping I can find a load that the 165 gr Speer BT likes, as they are still available. So far the best group with it was 1 1/4" with 57 gr of IMR 4350. That is not a bad group, but it is not 3/8"!

View attachment 1080044
IF we are voting, my vote goes to "Arm-R-Seal"!

I really like the stuff!!

SR

Not yet, the thought crossed my mind. Worth a try.:)
I was wanting to hammer something this evening. Changed the plugs and coil packs on the v-10 excursion :baba:. In reality it didn't go bad, but I had to use a half inch drive to break all the plugs loose.
The good thing is it's running great now, but the true test is when I get it under s load.
Speaking of running good, the tractor ran great for a couple hrs before I worked on the truck. I could smell a bit of unburned fuel when under load, and could see more water in the separator, so I'll need to empty that again.
Plugs all looked a lot like this. Surprised they weren't worn down much further, but it was definitely time lol.
20230504_203133.jpg
Went with the ngk coil packs, I was expecting made in Japan :(, but they seem to be working and they weren't made in china, then again china sure is pushing a lot of crap thru there.
20230504_203319.jpg

I was wanting to hammer something this evening. Changed the plugs and coil packs on the v-10 excursion :baba:. In reality it didn't go bad, but I had to use a half inch drive to break all the plugs loose. The good thing is it's running great now, but the true test is when I get it under s load.
At least it's not a 3 valve! You'd still be at it! I'm glad most of those are in the yard. I always put a drop of oil on the threads of the new plugs, especially on the 2v Ford heads. It ensures the plug gets fully tightened and a plug doesn't loosen and blow out. Almost every Ford with a blown out plug has had more loose plugs when I check the torque.
Speaking of running good, the tractor ran great for a couple hrs before I worked on the truck. I could smell a bit of unburned fuel when under load, and could see more water in the separator, so I'll need to empty that again.
Where's the water coming from?🧐
Plugs all looked a lot like this. Surprised they weren't worn down much further, but it was definitely time lol.
View attachment 1080084
Went with the ngk coil packs, I was expecting made in Japan :(, but they seem to be working and they weren't made in china, then again china sure is pushing a lot of crap thru there.
View attachment 1080085
We've had good luck with the NGK coils. At least they're not made out of Chinesium!

I was wanting to hammer something this evening. Changed the plugs and coil packs on the v-10 excursion :baba:. In reality it didn't go bad, but I had to use a half inch drive to break all the plugs loose.
The good thing is it's running great now, but the true test is when I get it under s load.
View attachment 1080084
View attachment 1080085

I've heard that it's actually cheaper to hacer en Mexico than make things in China now. Not that I want to be giving my money to Mexico, but that's better than sending money to China.

Latest posts

Back