Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Then there was this in the back of the ute

8th May 6.jpg

Then the owner of the property behind which the tree fell turned up. So, the area between your property fence and the road doesn't belong to the land owner here, it is called 'road reserve' and belongs to the local shire. Now, if you ask the shire if you can cut wood on the road reserve, they say no. However, if you don't obstruct traffic and the wood disappears, they think "Great, we don't have to contract someone to do that". If it happens to be a road at the end of the road to nowhere, well, doubly so. Even then, occasionally the landowner behind the road reserve can be a pain.

So he winds down his window and says "G'day mate, can you take the trunk as well? I'm getting too old for this and I've got enough wood anyway".

8th May 7.jpg

Well, what scrounger would say "no"?

That's right, one of those woodbuggers with their tiny (probably husky) homeowner saws who would steal the rest of my Monstromint scrounge. And that's why I'm going to cut 2/3 cord an afternoon every day until it is all gone and then I'll pile up the junk and make it nice and neat. And then, I will take the Monstromint trunk.

Anyway.

Then I went home and unloaded the trailer - stihl the ute to go.

8th May 8.jpg

Scrounge on :rock:

View attachment 1080990

Then the owner of the property behind which the tree fell turned up. So, the area between your property fence and the road doesn't belong to the land owner here, it is called 'road reserve' and belongs to the local shire. Now, if you ask the shire if you can cut wood on the road reserve, they say no. However, if you don't obstruct traffic and the wood disappears, they think "Great, we don't have to contract someone to do that". If it happens to be a road at the end of the road to nowhere, well, doubly so. Even then, occasionally the landowner behind the road reserve can be a pain.

So he winds down his window and says "G'day mate, can you take the trunk as well? I'm getting too old for this and I've got enough wood anyway".

View attachment 1080991

That's right, one of those woodbuggers with their tiny (probably husky) homeowner saws who would steal the rest of my Monstromint scrounge. And that's why I'm going to cut 2/3 cord an afternoon every day until it is all gone and then I'll pile up the junk and make it nice and neat. And then, I will take the Monstromint trunk.

Anyway.

View attachment 1080993

I for one am going to really enjoy more installments of this scrounging saga. :drinkingcoffee:

View attachment 1080990

View attachment 1080991

Anyway.

View attachment 1080993

Ah Austria! Yes, what a beautiful country! I love Def Leppard and the Scorpions!👍

🤔 Wait a minute?

😉

Good morning guys.

Many congrats to those of you celebrating longevity in your relationships! A tribute to teamwork, and also skill in picking the right one to start!

I was lucky enough to give the toast at a celebration for some dear friends who marked their 60th two summers ago. They are still going strong, although starting to have a few health issues.

View attachment 1080990

View attachment 1080991

Anyway.

View attachment 1080993

Awesome scrounge! That trunk will be a few truck and trailer loads.

I see you live in the Shire. Is Bilbo your neighbor?! :lol:

View attachment 1080990

View attachment 1080991

Anyway.

View attachment 1080993

This could be the excuse to buy a Ms881 rather than a 42 foot bar.

Well you'd better put the hard yards in when you get back because there's going to be some hardcore scrounge pics!

(It's just me, everyone else is posting other stuff :laugh: )

Also, congratulations! We ticked over 20 years last year, only felt like 19!
HEY!! I posted wood pics yesterday. :laugh:

#2s are illegal in WI. #4s are the biggest shot you can use. I think it's a safety issue, you're much less likely to die if you're hit with #4s than 2s. I personally use a .410 with #9 TSS. I smoked this guy at 30 yards last year.View attachment 1080466Edit: I obviously wouldn't try a body shot with that combination.
Congratulations! Nice bird. How long of beard?

Last day of my season I had a gobbler stall 60 yards out in a full strut from me. Too much underbrush between me and the bird for it to come any closer. I could just barely make it out that it was fanning toward me.

Here's the cherry rounds I just bucked up.
There in front of some of the wood I'll sell for this fall. The pile behind the little trailer is what's left from selling last fall. Now that I got the new pole barn fridge and freezer out of the little trailer I'll load up(or have the kids load up :)) the little trailer with a load of splits to finish a cord order.
View attachment 1080701
I hate ti think all that Cherry is going up in smoke. First you flaunt all that Bk Locust in front of us, now Cherry!

Sunny 70's here today, and one of the things that I did was "rip" some short cutoffs from the logs that were headed to the BSM, into blanks,

Resized-20230505-141036-S.jpg

As I already said before, I use these blanks to make wooden toys, mostly cars/trucks for my grandson who is car crazy,

Resized-20230505-141139-S.jpg

This is the last one that I have to rip and being a crotch, I was expecting some pretty nice grain in it,

Resized-20230505-141700-S.jpg

and of course, I pick up all the chips for "fire starter",

Resized-20230505-141650-S.jpg

they work really great for that!

SR
I cut bowl blanks for my Nephew who's into wood turning like that, cutting the pith out. Do you seal the ends of your blanks to minimize splitting?

I guess this might be a violation of the rules of this thread (are there any?), but I quoted my own post. Again, I do appreciate all your recommendations. I finished up the end cuts at the proper angles and scribe lines, then took one of the cut-offs and applied a stripe of the stains, poly, semi-transparent water seal, and oil to have a comparison:

View attachment 1080044
I'm probably too late for a reply, but I wouldn't stain Ash but just use a clear coat. If you must, maybe something like Colonial Maple. Sand real fine and use a wood conditioner so the pigments don't soak in too far clogging the pores.

Yeah, I think you’re right. Is that one a replaceable nose?
Pretty sure it has a replaceable tip, I'd have to look for sure, it's been sitting there a while, need to put it on a 550 and run it.
S

So, when do you put up the camo net for the next camera overflight?
🤣
Soon, you know they take those pics all the time, they only show us what they want us to see ;).
Got a good ran Saturday night, the girls had a little fun down there.
My youngest had her brothers muck boots on(he's 6'1" now so they're pretty tall)she had to clean them up as she got a bit of water in them. Glad they're having fun. Later Sunday they went to a beach a few miles from the house, it was up to 75, but I'm sure the water wasn't :cold:.
All this was gone by Sunday evening, we may need to do something about that lol.
I got a bit more dirt moved onto the top of the dam after these were taken, and I spread some topsoil on the back side/sloped area. I needed to move the topsoil so I could raise the side(right side in these pictures) of the dam up to meet the natural grade of the ground better. Trying to make it so the water flows onto the untouched ground rather than straight down the back of the dam, which means I need to fill it higher in the middle of the dam.
Lots more dirt to move :yes:.
20230507_115724.jpg20230507_115837.jpg20230507_115935.jpg20230507_120136.jpg
And he didn't even give it a like! :omg:
Yes I did!:buttkick:
I was actually debating whether to like it or to heart it, since we didn't have hearts back then :heart::lol:. I heart most any post where someone takes the time to add a picture :).
I hate ti think all that Cherry is going up in smoke. First you flaunt all that Bk Locust in front of us, now Cherry!
You mean the logs, swing by and grab a few, I'd hate to see it go to firewood too, but I don't have a bandsaw mill.

Back