Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never heard that about locust before, especially black locust. If you cut it in feb/march before the ground thaws and it's split in the spring it's ready to go in the fall.
I was thinking of you last night, saw a nice tdi that was lowered(although a bit lower than I'd like). How's yours coming

That's sweet. Probably about the same size as the one I was dealing with. What I know is the Kubota was/is a bit small and under powered for the task, but it got it done.
I can't get it to season that fast no matter how I cut, split or stack it.

The tdi is doing pretty good. I may be coming to an impass with the tuning. (My expectations may be a bit too high as well for it.) Were kinda going around in circles right now. We can get a tune that will spin the tires in 3rd at will, but it's too smokey for my liking and doesn't do the best in the mpg category, still nets between 43 and 45 mpg. With more mild fueling it doesn't have great bottom end and there's a need to down shift pretty often on hills, but it will get a pretty consistent 50mpg.
Having said that, I'm used to much bigger diesel engines and I've never been in a tuned tdi before. It's much better then stock, I'm just having a hard time believing it can't be tuned for better power and not have it a smokey mess every time you ease on the throttle.
Other then that, I've slowly been collecting new suspension parts for it. One strut is leaking up front and the rear shocks are suspect at best. Hopefully I'll have some time this fall to refresh everything. Then it should be in pretty good shape for a while. Still needs the head liner redone, but not a real priority.

Got the first load from my buddies house. His neighbor is deadly at best on a tractor. He has a little L series Kubota with a grapple bucket. Not an operator by any stand point. He buggered up my one fender pretty good. Managed to pull it off the tire well enough to get home. Also got pretty rough on the winch loading the top log. I didn't say much as I didn't have a better way to load without dragging my tractor over and that wasn't practical. (Didn't have dad's tractor at my place to unload.) Should have one more decent load to get yet. Everything is smaller rounds, so hopefully his neighbor is a little nicer when he loads.

Attachments

• 20230905_153218.jpg
    20230905_153218.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230905_153432.jpg
    20230905_153432.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
You're trying to spoil me!!!
is this still a gun thread in (other stuff)?

watched some avalanche control work at ski area Snowbird, UT on How DId They Fix That? show last nite... several bombs and few cannons... the crowd pleaser was the Howitzer M101 artillery cannon! the snow capped slopes were 2 miles away, and they shot 4 exploding head 105 mm rounds. the shooterLady-in-charge was military trained and Certified. all squeezes were by the numbers; check list! 4 shots, 4 bullseyes! and down came the snow ~

1694023887171.png

1694023897439.png

not the average .22 LR
1694023996727.png

Bull'seye!

and down came the snow!
1694024047445.png

I must confess ...... I've been abstaining from ........ scrounging. I've been dealing with roof repairs, new roof, garden, yard, painting the house and ill fated wood rack. I have tons of wood that needs to be re-stacked, some buried in the weeds from Spring that needs to be split/stacked and the house wood racks need to be filled for Winter. Just no time and energy for new wood.

So I've resisted the urge to go out to the log yard. I can see smoke from my house when he burns. Seen that several times this Summer, a lot of good wood going up in smoke. I tell myself, " No, I'm not going to do it, I don't have any room for more".

Well a friend, who lives next door to the log yard, called and said he saw a nice Cherry log out there. So I had to go look. Only 20" diameter x 14' but shows potential for lumber. Since I was there, I had to take a look. The Red Oak was still there that I had seen much earlier, more Cherry branches from the Cherry tree and some Mulberry, which is my local 'Black Locust'. Well, I had clean clothes on that I didn't want to get dirty, so I just grabbed the surface Mulberry. Couldn't leave empty handed. Now I just have to figure out how to work it into my schedule. 2-3 more days of painting, then maybe? Pic later.
You're not alone bud. They're logging our woodlot this winter and there will be several years worth of tops to clean up. Didn't make sense to put up anything this year, so I've kept busy with other projects.

Well this just breaks my heart.......
Neighbor across the north fence just had loggers move in and he wants to know if I'll help clean up tops?!?!?!.
Let me think on that hmmmm???
500' from the house, easy access, cut at my leisure, ok ok ill take one for the team and do it!

Uncle Mike, I’d be using your ATV and a chain to move the logs

When I drag that excavator up to the cabin, I’m thinking of driving it up Joe’s trail and then to the big quarry on “over the hill gang” land. Leave the trailer there and drive it the rest of the way. Otherwise it’s going to be a LONG drive up the zig zags. What do you think?

Sounds like a good plan to me. That will save a lot of wear and tear on the tracks. Maybe take it off the trailer at the quarry, drive the trailer up over that rough spot, then put the excavator back on the trailer and drive it the rest of the way. I think that is the only spot that would give you trouble. I think that is where the new guy's steel containers got stuck.

Are you talking about the Ash logs? I may just mill them in place. I noticed a good size straight one that is dead just below the old outhouse (about 50 yds). I hope it is not the start of things to come, but I fear that it is. Most of the Ash trees higher up still look in real good shape.

Back