Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It has only been almost 20 years that I have wanted to do this on our logging road. I still need to put in the hinge pins and latch assembly this afternoon. I have been blocking this road with 2 big boulders. Now I need to get rid of the boulders.
Boulders? I like boulders 😃P8222407.JPG

Speaking of shipping as a profit center...

Ordered a bunch of parts from Rock Auto...almost **** when I saw it was over $100 for shipping $375 worth of parts.

I checked their prices versus local. Cost savings in four of the parts made up the difference in shipping alone. So I hit send.

I used to use Rock Auto, but I haven't had to do anything on my vehicles in quite a while. The thing I remember about Rock Auto, was you had to make sure that the parts were all coming from the same warehouse, or from a minimum number of warehouses. Shipping wasn't terrible from one location, but it could add up quick from multiple.

Speaking of shipping as a profit center...

Ordered a bunch of parts from Rock Auto...almost **** when I saw it was over $100 for shipping $375 worth of parts.

I checked their prices versus local. Cost savings in four of the parts made up the difference in shipping alone. So I hit send.

The problem with RA is that they ship out of many warehouses. Hence the shipping costs. Sometimes ordering one extra thing will prompt it to ship out of another warehouse even though it is at the same warehouse.

And no matter how hard you try to get everything from the same RA warehouse by changing up the part brand and buying both of the same then deleting from your cart you end up with shipping from multiple locations. Still alot cheaper in most instances. Rear pads for my prius from Oreilys was $55 this weekend. :crazy2:

It has only been almost 20 years that I have wanted to do this on our logging road. I still need to put in the hinge pins and latch assembly this afternoon. I have been blocking this road with 2 big boulders. Now I need to get rid of the boulders.
Looks like a very clean install.
I want to do one on the accessory drive at our place. I bought some used 16' gates a while ago. Now that the elm and locust are out of the drive, maybe I'll start doing a bit of planning for it soon. I'll for sure be thinking about it in my head, then again, that counts as planning doesn't it, that's how that barn got built out front lol.

Looks like a very clean install.
I want to do one on the accessory drive at our place. I bought some used 16' gates a while ago. Now that the elm and locust are out of the drive, maybe I'll start doing a bit of planning for it soon. I'll for sure be thinking about it in my head, then again, that counts as planning doesn't it, that's how that barn got built out front lol.
Thanks, I used a 12" auger on my 3pth post hole digger to make the holes. The end posts are from used light poles that the light department gave me years ago. I did finish putting in the hinge pins and latch assembly today. My wife loves it.

G'day fellers,

Back out to the farm this morning. I had some left over splits from last time and the rest of the cut rounds to work on.

20230906_095710.jpg

Split them all and loaded up with ute (which is still 1/4 cord even though @H-Ranch only speaks of it in the past tense. Actually it is a touch more, so there).

20230906_102430.jpg

I had this left over.

20230906_105917.jpg

There was also the remains of a peppermint log that got driven into the ground when the manna gum fell onto it. It was a bit dirty but stihl mostly reasonably solid other than the bit that got hit - it cracked and had dirt driven into the cracks so I left that section. That also happened to be where a bull ant nest is so that can be ground zero for the burn pile when I stack up the rest of the junk.

20230906_113249.jpg

I think that given a week or two to dry off the peppermint will be burnable, it seems to be more water-wet than green. It had certainly be down for a while.

Scrounge on :rock:

Yep. I made a mistake and planted about a dozen of them here. They are non-native species but settlers planted a lot of them for fence posts, etc.
I'm pretty sure it was Black Locust they planted for fence posts. The only wood I know that the section under the soil will last longer than the section above the soil, and it is hard as a rock! It is also commonly used for trail bridges.

The saying is that Black Locust will not last forever, but it will last one day longer than stone!

Was away for the long WE, so behind on the thread. Will try to catch up!

We (as a group) got a lot done, some more wood cut, lots of wood split (for the first time in my life I brought the hydro splitter up there) and we got the deer stand up!

With my daughter, her family, Matt' sister and some of her family there were 8 of us up there and 9 on Saturday. Was a good time, and got a lot done. At the end of the WE that front row is as high as the roof and is 3 rows deep. Should be enough for this season.

We also pulled the card on one of the cameras that do not have cell service and discovered we have another 8 pt buck up there. His beams look pretty close to as good as the other one, but his G2s are a lot shorter. We also requested the video of one that was sent home the night we left. The angle of the picture makes me wonder if it is one we already have seen, or another. Often the video will clear is up, but it takes a while to get them (amazingly, the videos from those new cameras are often clearer than the pictures, and often give you several angles).

The cameras don't get deer often, but just enough to keep you hopeful (and let you know you are not chasing ghosts)!

Attachments

• IMG_20230902_143129992_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230902_143129992_HDR.jpg
    7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230903_113623244_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230903_113623244_HDR.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230903_114744677_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230903_114744677_HDR.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 0
I'm pretty sure it was Black Locust they planted for fence posts. The only wood I know that the section under the soil will last longer than the section above the soil, and it is hard as a rock! It is also commonly used for trail bridges.

The saying is that Black Locust will not last forever, but it will last one day longer than stone!

Yes for posts and poles. My mistake was planting too many of them and in a small pasture. They are a messy tree and supposedly are not good for cattle. I planted them back in late 1980s. They are now big enough to get some fairly reasonable firewood if I were to remove some of them.

I must confess ...... I've been abstaining from ........ scrounging. I've been dealing with roof repairs, new roof, garden, yard, painting the house and ill fated wood rack. I have tons of wood that needs to be re-stacked, some buried in the weeds from Spring that needs to be split/stacked and the house wood racks need to be filled for Winter. Just no time and energy for new wood.

So I've resisted the urge to go out to the log yard. I can see smoke from my house when he burns. Seen that several times this Summer, a lot of good wood going up in smoke. I tell myself, " No, I'm not going to do it, I don't have any room for more".

Well a friend, who lives next door to the log yard, called and said he saw a nice Cherry log out there. So I had to go look. Only 20" diameter x 14' but shows potential for lumber. Since I was there, I had to take a look. The Red Oak was still there that I had seen much earlier, more Cherry branches from the Cherry tree and some Mulberry, which is my local 'Black Locust'. Well, I had clean clothes on that I didn't want to get dirty, so I just grabbed the surface Mulberry. Couldn't leave empty handed. Now I just have to figure out how to work it into my schedule. 2-3 more days of painting, then maybe? Pic later.

Latest posts

Back