Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Speaking of lifetime guarantee, there is no guarantee. I was diagnosed with stage four colon cancer in March, so I am about eight months into treatment; chemotherapy. One of the side effects is known as hand and foot syndrome. That and cold sensitivity. Seems to be particularly tied to my hands and feet; they feel cold to me from my side of things even though they may be plenty warm. I wear gloves a lot , especially when handling cold things. Definitely in the refrigerator, but under the mid 60s affects them. And most every edge feels sharp.
They all tell you stage 4. I've been getting chemo and getting cut for over 6 years no, just had my bi weekly infusion and presently wearing an infusion pump (2days) getting 5 FU. and taking supplemental steroids that make me shake. I'm a 3 time looser, first colon and liver cancer. At the beginning 6 years ago was told I had a 30% survival chance and I'm still here, doing what I always do, just a bit slower at 73. I still farm, run hay, cut wood and work in my machine shop alongside my 2 employees. I don't have all my parts but I really didn't need them anyway.

The hospital I go to cannot operate on my Kidney lesion issue I have but I could have went to Cleveland Clinic, or Mayo in Minnesota or Anderson in Dallas Texas. I chose Cleveland Clinic and glad I did. At Cleveland Clinic they have in residence the utmost liver surgeon in the world, Doctor Kwon and he's collaborating with Trinity (where I go for infusions) as r=far as the chemo regimen I'm on. When they shrink to 3 centimeters, he will remove them. I'm very lucky that I have world class hospitalization in addition to Medicare. What Medicare don't pay for my hospitalization pays the rest and I won't even tell you what it has cost so far. lets just say I could put a nice dent in the National Debt.

if you want to PM me I'll give you my phone number and we can talk. I've learned the hard way and the best way to deal with the chemo and what I do to mitigate the effects. What you can take medicine wise and what can cause you other issues besides dealing with the cancer.

I'm what they term a survivor and my oncologist finds me amazing, he even lets me set the infusion dosages now because I know my body and what I can tolerate better than he does and he collaborates directly with Cleveland Clinic as well.

Everyone has the cancer genes in them, everyone including children. It's what sets them off that needs to be discovered. Once they achieve that, cancer will be like leprosy, it will cease to exist and kill.

Good luck and PM me and I will give you my phone number and email address. been travelling the road for a long time now. I have my good days and my bad days but the bottom line is I'm still here and doing almost everything I want to. In fact I'm going hunting up north (Michigan) for opening day with my very close friends and hunting partners. We have hunted all over the USA as well as Canada and I'd like to do an African hunt if I survive long enough. On my bucket list is a lion kill. Long range hunting is my passion. Not cheap but I can well afford it.

I meant the free tire disposal.
Lenawee county as well as Monroe county and I believe Wayne county all have free tire disposal days. You bring them in, sans rims and they take them out of your vehicle too. I think at least in Lenawee and Monroe, 10 tires a day is the limit. Used to be I could drop them at anytime at the Holcim cement plant in Dundee, Michigan but they closed and demolished that cement plant and they burned tires in their cement kiln and the cords melted and were incorporated into the limestone as it cooked. That is the site of the world's largest open pit limestone quarry which they no lease to another aggregate company.

I know Newago and Muskegon do, Muskegon even takes tractor tires.

I know a guy that took in over 300 tires to them.

SR
Cheboygan county does not. We get rid of our old tires in the traditional native way of stalking unprotected dumpsters under the cloak of darkness.

Cheboygan county does not. We get rid of our old tires in the traditional native way of stalking unprotected dumpsters under the cloak of darkness.
Probably dumped in roadside ditches along with old seedy mattresses as well as inoperative refrigerators worthless stoves and tossed beer cans. I'm always picking up beer cans tossed out the window and I have a nice allowance going on redeeming the 10 cent Michigan deposit too. heck, I find good tools in addition to rusted off mufflers and suspension parts. My tire recycling is mostly ditched car tires which are off the rims anyway. Heck, last summer I had a drunk drive through my 3 rail fence and a post went through their radiator and when I got up in the morning I had a abandoned rag mobile sitting in my side yard I had to pay to remove. People are amazing and idiots to boot and out here, mostly drunken idiots. They drive down our dirt road at as fast as they can go with suspensions screaming but they have the boom boxes turned way up so they hear nothing. So many times, I've wanted to sit on my front porch and drill a 338 Lapua round into the motor block but I can't because I'd be breaking the law.

Thanks! Good idea!😁

Is the ole Ford retired now? I miss seeing pics of that truck. I finally picked up a late 70's F250 a while back. Have been slowly building her back into a workhorse. Heads on the 400 were rebuilt, C6 rebuilt, all new braking system, new steering components, etc, etc, etc...

Came from out west, so it's clean. She's about to get her second coat of hot oil in prep for winter.
Now to get an intake and 4 barrel, maybe a mild cam, etc. :)

IMG_4425.jpegIMG_1146.jpegIMG_0982.jpeg

For the page lol.
Since I don't have one :).

I have one. I've had it for nine years and it won't die. Muff mod and a loop of Stihl RS and it cuts adequately for anyone who has never heard of arboristsite and the CAD sickness it induces where everything must be 70cc minimum and ported! 😂. Probably cut 30 cord with mine and I actually prefer it to my Stihl MS460 for felling because of how it handles.

No I haven’t yet. Sounds like from the rear. Starts around 40 mph, worst at 60-65, less at 70. Mostly under acceleration, sound goes away when you let off the gas, still has some vibration but less.
I would put it up on stands or a lift and see if you can find it with the wheels spinning.

On getting older (been there, done that), aches and pains (got a few; too few to mention, but I will mention them) and things that don’t work like they used to.

I noticed that my metabolism seemed to slow down, i.e., weight wanted to accumulate, at about 40, 50 and 62 1/2. There were also changes in how physical my job was at those same times.

Right now I am having a toothache; I don’t like them. It is a lower wisdom tooth and I think it has a crown on it. If it gets worse, it may have to come out. That’s the main complaint as far as aches: my teeth aren’t lasting forever. Whatever happened to the lifetime guarantee?

Speaking of lifetime guarantee, there is no guarantee. I was diagnosed with stage four colon cancer in March, so I am about eight months into treatment; chemotherapy. One of the side effects is known as hand and foot syndrome. That and cold sensitivity. Seems to be particularly tied to my hands and feet; they feel cold to me from my side of things even though they may be plenty warm. I wear gloves a lot , especially when handling cold things. Definitely in the refrigerator, but under the mid 60s affects them. And most every edge feels sharp.

This Friday I am getting a CT scan of my guts that will tell much more about how I am doing and what direction the fu⁷ture might go. The monitoring so far says I am doing good.

A couple weeks ago, we participated in a walk about colon cancer awareness. It was a three mile walk. By two miles, my feet were killing me; had to quit. That is how my feet are affected; feels like I am walking on small sharp rocks or broken glass.

Get your colonoscopy/screening for colon cancer. This could have been avoided if I didn’t wait until age 70. I had no risk factors. Well, except for age.
I wish you the best of luck in beating your cancer. I lost my mother to pancreatic cancer 8 years ago. There is no doubt that cancer sucks.

They all tell you stage 4. I've been getting chemo and getting cut for over 6 years no, just had my bi weekly infusion and presently wearing an infusion pump (2days) getting 5 FU. and taking supplemental steroids that make me shake. I'm a 3 time looser, first colon and liver cancer. At the beginning 6 years ago was told I had a 30% survival chance and I'm still here, doing what I always do, just a bit slower at 73. I still farm, run hay, cut wood and work in my machine shop alongside my 2 employees. I don't have all my parts but I really didn't need them anyway.

The hospital I go to cannot operate on my Kidney lesion issue I have but I could have went to Cleveland Clinic, or Mayo in Minnesota or Anderson in Dallas Texas. I chose Cleveland Clinic and glad I did. At Cleveland Clinic they have in residence the utmost liver surgeon in the world, Doctor Kwon and he's collaborating with Trinity (where I go for infusions) as r=far as the chemo regimen I'm on. When they shrink to 3 centimeters, he will remove them. I'm very lucky that I have world class hospitalization in addition to Medicare. What Medicare don't pay for my hospitalization pays the rest and I won't even tell you what it has cost so far. lets just say I could put a nice dent in the National Debt.

if you want to PM me I'll give you my phone number and we can talk. I've learned the hard way and the best way to deal with the chemo and what I do to mitigate the effects. What you can take medicine wise and what can cause you other issues besides dealing with the cancer.

I'm what they term a survivor and my oncologist finds me amazing, he even lets me set the infusion dosages now because I know my body and what I can tolerate better than he does and he collaborates directly with Cleveland Clinic as well.

Everyone has the cancer genes in them, everyone including children. It's what sets them off that needs to be discovered. Once they achieve that, cancer will be like leprosy, it will cease to exist and kill.

Good luck and PM me and I will give you my phone number and email address. been travelling the road for a long time now. I have my good days and my bad days but the bottom line is I'm still here and doing almost everything I want to. In fact I'm going hunting up north (Michigan) for opening day with my very close friends and hunting partners. We have hunted all over the USA as well as Canada and I'd like to do an African hunt if I survive long enough. On my bucket list is a lion kill. Long range hunting is my passion. Not cheap but I can well afford it.
I wish you the best of luck beating your cancer. I also know the infusion routine for a different kind of it. Not fun but no side effects. Dealing with this now for 26 months.

Is the ole Ford retired now? I miss seeing pics of that truck. I finally picked up a late 70's F250 a while back. Have been slowly building her back into a workhorse. Heads on the 400 were rebuilt, C6 rebuilt, all new braking system, new steering components, etc, etc, etc...

Came from out west, so it's clean. She's about to get her second coat of hot oil in prep for winter.

View attachment 1126223View attachment 1126224View attachment 1126225
Nice looking truck. It reminds me of the 1980 F350 Camper Special that I tore all apart and restored it. That was when they were easy to work on.

I had some fun today making a 3 point hitch ballast weight. $10 barrel, $20 receiver trailer hitch, $32 for the 3 point hitch drawbar and almost $60 for (12) 80 pound bags of concrete. The vertical tubing came from a piece of scrap that I salvaged from an old storage rack end that I have had for 40 something years. All the metal parts were welded together before filling it with mixed concrete. Total weight just over 1000 pounds. When it hardens up I'll make the top link section.

Attachments

• 20231108_150018.jpg
    20231108_150018.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231108_150040.jpg
    20231108_150040.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231108_153501.jpg
    20231108_153501.jpg
    1,001.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20231108_153509.jpg
    20231108_153509.jpg
    840.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20231108_162218.jpg
    20231108_162218.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231108_174735.jpg
    20231108_174735.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

View attachment 1126223View attachment 1126224View attachment 1126225
No, she got an oil change and filters and tire rotation and she's in the heated garage after a very through washing underneath and topside too. It's sleeping for the winter with a battery tender on the dual starting batteries. I almost sold it but the guy couldn't come up with 35 grand in cash so it is still mine and I have no issue with that at all other than I should not have lifted it another 6 inches as I have a hell of a time getting in, even with the steps on it. Getting out, not so bad, I just slide out and land on my feet. My big issue is insurance. My carrier will only insure it for 14 grand, not nearly what it is worth and collectors insurance only covers it as a show truck, not a working farm truck so I have to be careful where I drive it.

You really need to add mudflaps on the steering axle as the mud will cause the door rockers to rust out, I put wheel well rubber flares on mine as well as mudflaps... I do the spray on lanolin treatment every fall on mine. in black of course. Your friendly Stens parts distributor sells it in spray cans....

Great trucks that sadly aren't made anymore or at least under 100 grand.

Attachments

• IMG_0924.JPG
    IMG_0924.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 0
One very old Titan chainsaw that is under our barn. It still turns over. Maybe soon I'll get it running again. This has no muffler. It is one loud chainsaw. I remember using this for a bit back in 73 when I cleared the land for my house. It is a killer on the arms with vibration.

Attachments

• 20231108_154922.jpg
    20231108_154922.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 1
Good morning guys. I certainly hear you about getting older!!!!! I’ll tell you this: You younger guys don’t/won’t understand it until it happens to you!

I’ve usually carried a few extra pounds through my adult years, but I was very active through my 30s and seemingly nothing had changed since my early 20s. About the time I turned 40 is when things seem to fall apart!

At 39 I had Lyme disease. Or at least what the first doctor said was Lyme disease. Divorced at 41 which temporarily took its toll on my overall health (although should be better in the long run due to the greatly reduced stress!) Shortly after for turning 42 I had influenza A followed by Covid a month later. I’ve just never had my full stamina since then.

My inner elbows get sore when I do physical work, my eyesight has declined significantly, and kneeling sucks. And my neck is **** after sitting in front of a computer for over 20 years at work.

Just got my blood work back from the doctor and although I haven’t had time to go through all of it, it looks like other than being low on vitamin D and heightened cholesterol, I’m doing pretty well in that aspect. It’s definitely a relief to know that there’s nothing else wrong.

A couple things that are going to bode well for my fitness (hopefully): I noticed that I’m not nearly as hungry anymore. I’ve always had a tremendous appetite even as a little kid. This will help over the winter, so I don’t overeat all the time and then I have to work it off. Secondly, I joined a men’s basketball league last year, which keeps me going every Wednesday night from Thanksgiving through Easter. Third, I have a treadmill in my bedroom. Just need to make sure it doesn’t turn into a laundry hanper lol. Fourth, a friend of mine moved up to the area and has sled dogs, so I plan to help her out with that as time allows. And finally I’m going to need to start replenishing my wood piles next spring…. It’s crazy because I cut like a madman for so many years and now I’ve got stacks of wood that have been standing since 2018.
“Help her out” sounds like good cardio to me….

I had some fun today making a 3 point hitch ballast weight. $10 barrel, $20 receiver trailer hitch, $32 for the 3 point hitch drawbar and almost $60 for (12) 80 pound bags of concrete. The vertical tubing came from a piece of scrap that I salvaged from an old storage rack end that I have had for 40 something years. All the metal parts were welded together before filling it with mixed concrete. Total weight just over 1000 pounds. When it hardens up I'll make the top link section.
I need to do something like this. I put a loader on the 3930 and didn't load the rear tires. As soon as I get a decent load on the front (like a round bale, etc.), the rear tires are barely scraping the ground.

It also gets stuck a lot easier in the woods now when I'm trying to move/skid logs.

Latest posts

Back