Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Worked on the "new" Hooskies I picked up the other day. All three run. The 242 runs really well. Pretty clean saw, other than the top cover is a little busted up. It was filthy, and still needs more WD40 and air. But, she runs strong. I think I might try to find another top cover for her and use it for a bit. It's a 300th anniversary model (89, right?), so finding another cover with that sticker will be tough.

The 246 seems to have some carb issues. Runs great then bogs down. All three saws had OLD gas in them. I loaded them up with 100LL mixed 40:1, and ran them for a bit to get that fuel into everything. Will let them sit and play with them again this weekend.

The 254 was the cleanest of the group. Is only missing one screw for the pull/start cover, which they used a hex head screw instead. Will need to scrounge one of those up, or hit the hardware store. It's might be cleaner an my other examples.

Will get some pics this weekend maybe. The 246 will likely go up for sale once I get it cleaned up and in good working order. Same for the 242 if I don't fall in love with it. I still miss my 346 that @chipper1 snagged from me. Not sure ifI like it or the MS241 better.

Excited to get firewood season started. I haven't cut any wood in a long time. Still have plenty for winter, but my rick is getting low...

Nice, a Ford pickup thread!
'92 Forest Service...

View attachment 1126261
Love it!!

I've been toying with the idea of selling my 97 F350 CCLB 4x4. It has a 460EFI with 220K miles, but runs like a scalded dog and doesn't leak or use much oil between 5K changes. Gets hot oiled every year, so virtually no rust (no rot anyhow, just surface rust in a few places). I drive the 78 daily, and don't plan to stop. Not sure I need two 3/4 ton or larger pickups that only get 10mpg... then again, I love that truck and it'd be hard to find another as clean in the rust belt...

You really need to add mudflaps on the steering axle as the mud will cause the door rockers to rust out, I put wheel well rubber flares on mine as well as mudflaps... I do the spray on lanolin treatment every fall on mine. in black of course. Your friendly Stens parts distributor sells it in spray cans....

Great trucks that sadly aren't made anymore or at least under 100 grand.
I plan to add flaps soon. She gets hosed with Fluidfilm when I find time and once a year she gets a heavy dose of used motor oil mixed with bar oil by my hot oil guy. Not as much of a fan of the used oil, but my old hot oil guy retired and I have to deal with whom I can. The old guy used to use new oil mixed with STP, then switched to straight bar oil. Both worked really well.

But, the new guy really hoses her down, so it works great at keeping the rust away.

Yeah, these old trucks are not a great fit with recent gas prices. Maybe that's part of the government tree hugger's plan.

With fuel prices the way they've been, I'm so thankful for my newer job. Drive is only 4 miles to work now. So, even with the poor MPGs, I don't spend near as much on fuel.

The 78 is about to get a new rear tank. The original was removed by the previous owner. I'm looking at doing a 33 gallon Bronco tank. The kit with a skid plate is about $450 from Bronco Graveyard (sending unit and all). Only "issue" I've read about is it hangs about 6" lower than the OG 19 gallon tank. But, being 4x4, the truck sits high enough that I don't think it'll be a problem.

I need to do something like this. I put a loader on the 3930 and didn't load the rear tires. As soon as I get a decent load on the front (like a round bale, etc.), the rear tires are barely scraping the ground.

It also gets stuck a lot easier in the woods now when I'm trying to move/skid logs.
Gotta load the rear tires at minimum, I've been using beet juice recently. Wasn't super expensive and doesn't have the corrosion issues calcium does. Weight on the 3 point helps a lot too.
Love it!!

I've been toying with the idea of selling my 97 F350 CCLB 4x4. It has a 460EFI with 220K miles, but runs like a scalded dog and doesn't leak or use much oil between 5K changes. Gets hot oiled every year, so virtually no rust (no rot anyhow, just surface rust in a few places). I drive the 78 daily, and don't plan to stop. Not sure I need two 3/4 ton or larger pickups that only get 10mpg... then again, I love that truck and it'd be hard to find another as clean in the rust belt...
If you want to sell it, now is the time. I have a 96 super cab f250 w/460. I'm constantly getting offers for it. Being at 200k miles doesn't seem to bother anyone.

Took a few pics of the splitter improvement last evening. I may add some round stock in between the supports for the lift side table. Didn't feel like doing it for starters since I wanted the bark and junk to fall through, also still planning in making another splitter at some point So i didn't want to invest too much more time in this one. Not there's anything wrong with it. Just want something bigger and has interchangeable wedges. More like a mini processor.

Attachments

• 20231108_184203.jpg
    20231108_184203.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231108_184149.jpg
    20231108_184149.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231108_184133.jpg
    20231108_184133.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Nice, a Ford pickup thread!
'92 Forest Service...

View attachment 1126261
Got the necessary mud flaps on the front too... I took a new set plus one of mudflaps from the Western Star dealership I retired from and put them on the front and on the back and cut them down a bit and added the rubber fender extensions on the front too (so when I cut the wheel, the dirt / mud didn't crawl up the sides of the cab too. Worked very well and here in Michigan, mudflaps are required if the wheels (tires extend out of the body sheet metal at all. I see kids today don't put them on but it is a requirement under state law.

I guess if you got stopped for another reason, like speeding and the officer was writing you and having a bad day, he could write you for it (as well as window tint if the tint wouldn't pass the required amount of light. I know they carry some sort of window tint meters.

Additionally, I used the extra mudflap as a 'buffer' on my drawbar of my hay bailer tractor to 'smooth' the windrow out and keep the windrow from getting too high and bunching in the tongue of the round bailer when bailing high windrows. Works well too. Bet I have the only Kubota M series with a WesternStar mudflap on the back...

Took a few pics of the splitter improvement last evening. I may add some round stock in between the supports for the lift side table. Didn't feel like doing it for starters since I wanted the bark and junk to fall through, also still planning in making another splitter at some point So i didn't want to invest too much more time in this one. Not there's anything wrong with it. Just want something bigger and has interchangeable wedges. More like a mini processor.
All you need is a conveyor... You need to find a used flat belt grain conveyor, cut it down and build it in. Will have wheels so parking it should be easy and most all of them will have a 'farm duty' totally enclosed 110 volt motor too.

All you need is a conveyor... You need to find a used flat belt grain conveyor, cut it down and build it in. Will have wheels so parking it should be easy and most all of them will have a 'farm duty' totally enclosed 110 volt motor too.
Possibly for log splitter 2.0. Right now the splitter usually sits in the front of the wood shed so I don't need a conveyer.

Gotta load the rear tires at minimum, I've been using beet juice recently. Wasn't super expensive and doesn't have the corrosion issues calcium does. Weight on the 3 point helps a lot too.

If you want to sell it, now is the time. I have a 96 super cab f250 w/460. I'm constantly getting offers for it. Being at 200k miles doesn't seem to bother anyone.
Far as loading the rears, I don't and never have. because I run forage and sell it, the heavier the tractor is, the more it crushes hay plants and reduced yield. I run integral cast weights on the back (Kubota option like the excavation buckets are) and that is it. Never had a traction issue but I do have R1 bar treads front and rear, and rarely use front wheel assist either.

Truck....

Don't sell it. Older it gets if maintained, the more it's worth. Glad I got the extra cost diesel when I bought mine new on 97. Get yourself a set of Air Ride air bags for the back end. Not hard to install and the onboard compressor and under dash air gage. Mine maintains a low pre set pressure (activates on the starter key) and they really improve the ride (goes from 'logwagon' to somewhat tolerable unloaded). My wife still has to wear a'sportsbra' when riding or her boobs get sore right away. me I don't mind the bounce but she does...lol

My 350 rides like a lux your ass car when loaded or the camper is in the bed. and I keep it level with the bags, all the time.

Mine gets 21 with the 7.3 kiitted diesel and 18 loaded. and she just turned 100K. With the 7.3 mileage is not relevant so long as you maintain them. A typical 7.3 will go almost 500K miles with not a major rebuild and our old trucks are all the sought after long hood (OBS) style. I have leaf springs front and rear and I did an axle flip on the front as well which does improve the ride somewhat, gives better clearance in the front and lifts the front an additional 4" plus I added an extra leaf in the front which gave it 6" lift.... UUG now should have left it stock front and rear.

I have an ARB air locker in the front, Detroit Tru-Trakiout back, the entire driveline has Super U's, all greasable and Thompson roller linear bearings and new greaseable pins in all the spring pivots. Did all that back when I bought it and was way more physically mobile and financially flush... and yes I use Fluid Film on mine and my wife's Suburban, couldn't remember the name of the stuff but it is messy and it works. Stens sells it btw. I think they bought the company...

I'll have it until I die I suspect and my wife can sell it and become a sugar momma for some young stud. between that, my paid for machine shop and all the paid for farm equipment, not to mention my armory of guns, she makes out like a bandit. Should walk with about a million in cash all said and done. Time for a paid for young stud to take care of her needs...lol

There are some dam good folks on here and some a'holes to but that is how every forum is I guess. I just gloss over the a'holes and carry on. Has to be my age. At 73, hard for me to deal with snot nosed kids anyway. Mine are all grown up and left so no dealing with that, just a crabby wife and a fuzzy dog that wants constant attention.

I could make up some wild story about it for the forum but the surgeon did a fantastic job. Even the PT nurse was impressed a how well it turned out . Healed really well View attachment 1125779and my fingers are straight
Never heard of 'Viking hands' until i asked my doctor what the lump in my hand was. That was two years ago, i now have two lumps.
Currenly 45 years old, can't see it going away by it self. What were your options apart from living with it and surgery?

I need to do something like this. I put a loader on the 3930 and didn't load the rear tires. As soon as I get a decent load on the front (like a round bale, etc.), the rear tires are barely scraping the ground.

It also gets stuck a lot easier in the woods now when I'm trying to move/skid logs.
That sounds like my issues that I was having. Manipulating my tractor around trees and such with a load of wood without traction is no fun. Hanging my 7 foot mower off the back makes it even harder in the woods for tight turns and turning around. I built this in just over 3 hours and that included mixing the cement bag by bag inside the plastic drum. I also had to dig out that steel rack from a pile under my barn and cut the section off it.

Never heard of 'Viking hands' until i asked my doctor what the lump in my hand was. That was two years ago, i now have two lumps.
Currenly 45 years old, can't see it going away by it self. What were your options apart from living with it and surgery?
The did the injection it breaks up the scar tissue . They gave me the injection and had me come back the next then they bent the ever living boop out of my fingers snapping the scar tissue it was not a pleasant experience . Which worked for a while but in 6 months I was no better than before . Decided surgery was the best option .

Back