Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, since my wife likes to make coal all day while I’m at work….

What gloves do you guys all wear when loading your stoves??

When I was a kid, my pop has these NASA looking fireproof gloves

I’ve been a cheap @$& all these years, but I’m thinking it’s finally time to invest in some good wood stove gloves

What do all of you guys use?

I’ve been a cheap @$& all these years, but I’m thinking it’s finally time to invest in some good wood stove gloves

Welding gloves

Next time we are at the cabin, check the hinges on my cooler, seat belt material

Got the idea from this rifle sling I saw once upon a time…
A long time ago I wanted a sling on my Deluxe 10/22, but funds were tight. So, I sewed a piece of seat belt on in place of a real sling.

It is still on the gun. I've considered replacing it with a real sling (as it is a nice gun ... they are Walnut with real checkering), but my daughter tells me: "Don't you dare ... I love that sling ... and it has been on that gun all my life". Hey, it works, and it is a memory from the past.

One of the things that has kept me from running a saw... putting a roof on one of my father's rentals. My sons put the cap shingles on today. The house is on the west side of the Hudson River and the mountains on the horizon are in CT.

No worries about the saws though... That big maple tree on the right will be firewood in the not too distant future... waiting on an arborist associate with 90 and 110 foot bucket trucks. It suffered a lot of damage in the ice storm about two years ago and the trunk has rot... It's at least 40" DBH and needs to be taken down from the top... This as there is no place to land the whole tree without doing damage! There are two houses, a garage, and a well head within it's reach and if felled due east the top could end up going over the cliff and landing on a heavily traveled state highway!
IMG_6285.gif

A long time ago I wanted a sling on my Deluxe 10/22, but funds were tight. So, I sewed a piece of seat belt on in place of a real sling.

It is still on the gun. I've considered replacing it with a real sling (as it is a nice gun ... they are Walnut with real checkering), but my daughter tells me: "Don't you dare ... I love that sling ... and it has been on that gun all my life". Hey, it works, and it is a memory from the past.
I've got a 10/22 Deluxe Sporter also... early 70s vintage. $44 on sale brand new! My uncle, who passed away Tuesday of this week, bought me a sling for Christmas. Memories here too...

I made a wire hook, attached it to a hot pad and hung it on the stove door. That handle used to have a wooden cover on it, replaced that once and haven't bothered to do that again.

@gggGary, I don't understand your response of 'Wow'. Is $250/cord a good price and my expectations high? To be clear, I'm not offended by your response; I'm just trying to educate myself on a fair price.
I sell Spruce for $400 a cord. Some folks on the Island sell it for $450 and $500 a cord! I started at $350 earlier at the beginning of fall. Then I got some advice from a few folks to up my price and charge the going rate. Some of you may be thinking $400 a cord for soft wood is ridiculous. I'd agree, because before I started selling firewood. Getting my scrounge on for personal use came easy to me. I was hesitant to up my price to 400 a cord, but most folks are happy to pay it. Just one or two fires a day. Saves them tremendously on heating oil costs for the winter "if" they have an energy efficient home. I've sold 40 cord so far this year since mid Summer and have 30 more orders in the books and the orders keep trickling in. Even at $400 a cord. With the cost of living on an Island in the North Pacific and the overhead I have with my equipment I'm really not making much money. Logging, haul'n, prossesing and delivering takes a lot of time and I've got good equipment! I couldn't imagine selling firewood with only a home owners splitter and just a pickup truck. I wouldn't break even under those conditions. Being as I live almost 100 miles round trip from town. Its $60 per trip just in diesel with a fully loaded truck and trailer. Most my income is from residential tree removal, driveway repair and lot clearing. Firewood keeps me busy and keeps me from going backwards when nothing else is going on.

I sell Spruce for $400 a cord. Some folks on the Island sell it for $450 and $500 a cord! I started at $350 earlier at the beginning of fall. Then I got some advice from a few folks to up my price and charge the going rate. Some of you may be thinking $400 a cord for soft wood is ridiculous. I'd agree, because before I started selling firewood. Getting my scrounge on for personal use came easy to me. I was hesitant to up my price to 400 a cord, but most folks are happy to pay it. Just one or two fires a day. Saves them tremendously on heating oil costs for the winter "if" they have an energy efficient home. I've sold 40 cord so far this year since mid Summer and have 30 more orders in the books and the orders keep trickling in. Even at $400 a cord. With the cost of living on an Island in the North Pacific and the overhead I have with my equipment I'm really not making much money. Logging, haul'n, prossesing and delivering takes a lot of time and I've got good equipment! I couldn't imagine selling firewood with only a home owners splitter and just a pickup truck. Being as I live almost 100 miles round trip from town. Its $50 per trip just in diesel with a fully loaded truck and trailer. I'd go broke delivering one cord a trip under those conditions! Most my income is from residential tree removal, driveway repair and lot clearing. Firewood keeps me busy and keeps me from going backwards when nothing else is going on.
Oh, I understand firewood pricing is regional. Like in Alaska where everything is higher. For the same reasons you mentioned. I'm glad you are making it work for you.

Saw them harvesting that on a Alaska show the other night

Another wonder that God gave us for free

I wonder why more people don’t know about it

The guy with the wife and two young daughters was chopping it off birch trees, had to do some reading about it on commercial
These are growing on a White Birch . Tree is dying so the town took it down I’m going to see if any of it is salvageable . White birch is a nice wood for projects

Back