Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did it for decades, this is the first year I have not sold firewood in quite some time. This year I focused on some milling projects to build the hunting stands.

Having a white-collar job, I mostly did it to get some fresh air and stay in shape. Always all hardwood, and rarely got over $200/cord.

Before I got my hydro splitter (about 10 years ago), I split it all by hand!

When I used to heat my house with wood (before I established sources for wood) I used to buy a load of logs, cut them up with my 044 (my only saw for 18 years) and split 6 cord / year by hand to heat my house. Was good exercise and helped keep me in shape!

When I was doing firewood for others, I would remove trees for free if they let me take it for firewood. It was a lot of work, but everyone was happy, I covered my costs and earned "saw money", so house money was not used for my saw obsession! I currently have 14 runners and several incomplete projects.

As I've slowed down the last few years, the desire to build more saws has diminished ... I've got a pretty good collection and sometimes don't even use all of them in a given year.
Dang, my doppelganger, 🤪

Yesterday afternoon I go back over to my woodpile to drop off my full gas can for my logsplitter. Hanging out at a 2 week old scrape is a doe a little bit smaller than the one I got here earlier yesterday morning. I was in my truck and she left soon after I got out. Then I go home to get my tractor to move a bin of firewood from the logging area back to my house. Lo and behold there is a 6 pointer sniffing and pawing at the new scrape. I have been peeing on it every other day. I think I am upsetting him a bit. He sees me on the tractor and could care less. I watched him for a few minutes and he left heading for my house. I wish the pictures were clearer. In the last photo he was standing still. All I could think of is why did you leave the shotgun at home. It was getting darker by the last photo. He was in no hurry to walk away with me there. I think that they love hearing my tractor run.
Back on the farm we had an old single shot 30-30/ Hunting season out working the ground we carried on the tractor. You could work it almost up to them and shoot from the seat. Don't try to get off it though, they would leave.

They can destroy a lot of crops quickly. One year they hit my farmer friend's pumpkin patch taking a nibble out of each pumpkin. Another year they did in his green bean crop. That year I counted 3 bucks and 9 does out in one of his fields on Thanksgiving night. They were having a deer orgy.

The last year I was on the farm (1953) we put up about 6ton of hay in a stack Up on the ridge. Came time to feed it and there wasn't a scrap left. We suspected elk had a hand in that.

farmers are a different breed

My guy Joe just wants them all dead

Doesn’t care if we take them home or not

When I told him Uncle Mike saw one but didn’t shoot, he asked why

I said it may have been a spike and he didn’t want to waste the tag on a little buck

His reply was, just pitch it in the tree line if he doesn’t want it, but shoot every deer you see

I again told him that we just can’t do that, we are hunters not killers

He said fine, but fill some tags

Going back in the morning

I said it may have been a spike and he didn’t want to waste the tag on a little buck

His reply was, just pitch it in the tree line if he doesn’t want it, but shoot every deer you see

Why doesn’t the owner get a nuisance permit ?

Sanding is done going to hate cutting the hole for the range top but I’ll just make the cutout into a matching cutting board . I just wiped it with a damp rag to show the figure. IMG_7401.jpegIMG_7402.jpegIMG_7403.jpegI’m going for this look . It’s a three step dye process first is a dark walnut then sanded second coat is a cherry red sanded again then a third coat with golden yellow that’s not sanded . Final is the top coat IMG_7405.jpeg

Hey guys. Got a lot of cast-iron restoration done this morning. Made two trips to the dump and the 1990 F150 died on the way home from the second trip. My middle son came and towed us home. I need to figure out what’s wrong with this damn truck, I swear this thing is killing me death by 1000 cuts.

My son’s 92 F150 is on the last gasp of the current transmission. I think I’m going to junk that one too.

The farmer on whose land my Brother and BIL hunt, told my BIL the same thing. Shoot any doe he sees. He's tired of them tearing up his crop. Wants to reduce the herd. He said he'll give by BIL as many landowner permits as he wants.

Sounds just like my farmer friend. I gutted my deer out in the back of his field. He was out cutting firewood. I stopped to show him my doe. He said thanks for taking it out.

Why doesn’t the owner get a nuisance permit ?
Not all States have those. Mine doesn't and only the owner or full time employees can shoot the nuisance deer. Then you have to call F&G to come and get them. You have to report to them where they were eating and what they were eating.

Not all States have those. Mine doesn't and only the owner or full time employees can shoot the nuisance deer. Then you have to call F&G to come and get them. You have to report to them where they were eating and what they were eating.
NY has them. Odly, Joe doesn’t hunt. But wants me and the other guys he lets on his farm to shoot them all

Going back Wednesday afternoon with my uncle, but sneaking back tomorrow morning before church
Want to see if it was a buck he saw this morning…..

G'day fellers,

It took a while to get the Traeger organised for one reason or another but gave it it's maiden run on Wednesday. Pork ribs.

20231129_185740.jpg

Came out pretty well I thought for a first go. Mind you, the process was so easy that even a spaz like me couldn't mess it up. Well, not much. Nice evening too.

20231202_202116.jpg

I have beef ribs in there now, another 6 hours or so to go. :sweet:

Back