Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday afternoon I skinned and parted up the deer and put it in my cooler. Temps have been right about freezing, so I just left it on the back deck w/o any ice.

Today, the wife and I are butchering. While the buck I got did not have much antler (3 pt), I knew he had a good size body, and the backstrap and tenderloin have confirmed that opinion. On a smaller deer, you notice the difference. I just hope this buck is as tender as the doe I got. She has been very good and tender (had for dinner twice so far).

A little bullet damage to the front of the left backstrap, but I salvaged most of it. Glad I use copper bullets when hunting, far less worry about lead!

Have to get back to it, still have one hind quarter and both shoulders to do, and I have to get 3 of my grandkids when they get home from school at three o'clock. My daughter and her husband are away for the WE.

I've had deer browsing the top of a maple tree while I was bucking the butt end! An arborist associate has had the same thing happen. I also had them browsing the brush pile as I was adding to it. When I got close they'd step back a bit but return as I walked away. Why such behavior? I assume it was because the habitat was so over browsed that the chance to have fresh greens was too much of a temptation.
They are hungry.

That would probably work good. It doesn't seem to be available in gallons...?? Gallons is the only way I've purchased WD-40 for at least a couple decades due to the volume used. While proof reading this it occurred to me that I do a LOT of maintenance/repairs on a lot of stuff. 😐 That keeps me off the streets and out of the bars... 😉

5 gallon buckets are available, but not cheap.

https://birchwoodtechnologies.com/shop/
Screenshot_20231208-185244_kindlephoto-64503099.png

Are are really going to have to solve this pic posting problem of yours! :yes:

I'm on a shopping spree in the morning. Will hit WallMart and see if I can find a new desktop 'puter at a reasonable price. Totally frustrated, Take picture, download to the 'puter and then cann't find the pictures.

My "scrounge of the century" turned into dust. Finally got him on the phone yesterday. "I have to get those logs out of there!" He though I was going to be working on them in the winter. No thanks. Ground now is fairly well froze up but we just had 4 days of 50 temps so it would be a slick mud up on that slope. I doubt I could even get my Gimmy 4x4 up there in snow. I also do not work in the snow . I don't know what he was thinking to down all those trees in the fall and then expect someone to work in miserable conditions.

Hey all you cooks, please tell me how to cook a pork roast.
Ours turn out like dry leather & sawdust.....☹️
I'd like to be able to get a tender moist roast without anything fancy, just a cast iron dutch oven, salt/pepper, onion, & garlic.
We don't like to cook with aluminum foil or unnatural/ chemical treatments.
It's crazy, I raise dozens of pigs a year but I guess I'm too stupid to make a decent roast......😕

Hey all you cooks, please tell me how to cook a pork roast.
Ours turn out like dry leather & sawdust.....☹️
I'd like to be able to get a tender moist roast without anything fancy, just a cast iron dutch oven, salt/pepper, onion, & garlic.
We don't like to cook with aluminum foil or unnatural/ chemical treatments.
It's crazy, I raise dozens of pigs a year but I guess I'm too stupid to make a decent roast......😕
PA Dutch thing but we just dump a big can or 2 of sauerkraut in it and cook on 325* for a couple of hours with a lid on. We use an old enamelware roasting pan. Comes out falling apart and moist.

PA Dutch thing but we just dump a big can or 2 of sauerkraut in it and cook on 325* for a couple of hours with a lid on. We use an old enamelware roasting pan. Comes out falling apart and moist.
My mom used to buy country style ribs and put them in the slow cooker with a jar of kraut. Like you said, they'd fall right off the bone.

Home made is way better then canned, but at least I hope you got silver floss brand.
I bought Libby's... they had silver floss, but I didn't know what to get.....now I do.

My wife has tons of jars of homemade kraut around here, but I thought I'd start with store stuff to see how it goes.

You're right, the homemade stuff is way better.... I've taken to drinking the juice after the kraut is gone.... it's pretty good stuff actually.

I bought Libby's... they had silver floss, but I didn't know what to get.....now I do.

My wife has tons of jars of homemade kraut around here, but I thought I'd start with store stuff to see how it goes.

You're right, the homemade stuff is way better.... I've taken to drinking the juice after the kraut is gone.... it's pretty good stuff actually.
I'm a bit of a kraut snobb, been spoiled by homemade for too many years. Unfortunately, we haven't had/made the time to make any in the past few years. (Young kids, work schedule (s) suck) When we canned it, I'd be stuffing my face with it all day. Just love it. Used to do 5 gallons with hot peppers mixed in too, fabulous on sausage or burgers.
Since we haven't been making it, I tried about every different brand the local stores have and though silver floss was an acceptable kraut for what it cost. We have a little Amish/Mennonite store where they sell home made, but it's 3-4x the cost of the store bought stuff.

I'm a bit of a kraut snobb, been spoiled by homemade for too many years. Unfortunately, we haven't had/made the time to make any in the past few years. (Young kids, work schedule (s) suck) When we canned it, I'd be stuffing my face with it all day. Just love it. Used to do 5 gallons with hot peppers mixed in too, fabulous on sausage or burgers.
Since we haven't been making it, I tried about every different brand the local stores have and though silver floss was an acceptable kraut for what it cost. We have a little Amish/Mennonite store where they sell home made, but it's 3-4x the cost of the store bought stuff.
We don't can ours....as in no heat is used....she just chops it up and then pounds it with a wood stomper like you'd use in a meat grinder, then adds salt & water, put it in canning jars & stick it on a shelf where it's below 65° ish (traditional root cellar is best) and let it stand a couple weeks and it's good to go.
It's how people have made / preserved kraut for thousands years.

Back