Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If it cuts easily Silver Maple, if it is hard, and slower to cut it may be White Oak. Always tough to tell from pictures. Does not look like Hickory to me.

Looking at the profile of a whole tree (or better yet leaves) can tell you a lot that is hard to tell from just a log.

Are there leaves on the ground near it? Both Silver Maple and White Oak leaves are distinctive.

If it cuts easily Silver Maple, if it is hard, and slower to cut it may be White Oak. Always tough to tell from pictures. Does not look like Hickory to me.

Looking at the profile of a whole tree (or better yet leaves) can tell you a lot that is hard to tell from just a log.

Are there leaves on the ground near it? Both Silver Maple and White Oak leaves are distinctive.
Yes, pictures aren't great. I thought at first some kind of White Oak that I don't know. That would be good too. I didn't see any leaves. I'm splitting and stacking my two latest acquisitions today. I'll check tomorrow. The arborist usually dumps likes stuff in the same area. Maples here, Oaks there, Pine there. I guess different drying rates so he can push the right pile first onto the fire. This log was in a Maple pile.

I asked already, but I'll bump it to the top. Any idea what tree this is? Hard Maple? If so, I might try to slab off some for cutting boards.
View attachment 1135563
Looks like Maple of some sort
Never seen any white oak with bark like that

Is Silver Maple considered a Hardwood? We had a Soft Maple (don't know it's real name) in our yard growing up. It had slick bark.
Anything that loses leaves in winter is technically hardwood. Some “hardwoods” are a lot softer than some softwoods :p

I can’t imagine having kids in public schools these days…any public school…they are all indoctrination centers now, not schools like I remember.
if I had kids I would do anything and everything to get them out and home-school them. I would be that guy you see on YouTube, dragged out of a school board meeting by 5 cops. 🤬🤬🤬

good luck tomorrow.
We've had that discussion quite a few times. Even talked it over with our siblings and cousins, and doing a home school school for all the kids, where we rotate theough whos houes they are at for the week. There are several problems that popped up, not insurmountable, but enough that that we decided against it. Living pretty far apart was one of the bigger issues. Non of us can stand to be without two incomes.
Keep us posted…

It’s unfortunate that our kids will end up encountering numerous sociopaths and narcissists through life, who are very good at bringing people back in to the circle after alienating them. We had that same problem with my daughter and another girl at the school… She’s nothing but trouble and the lady who does most of the raising for her, always makes excuses for her actions and blames the other person.

I think the best thing to do is politely put a little bit of fear into the school officials and tell them that you’re don’t ****ing around with this issue.
Well, it was pretty much a shite show. She dropped the notion that my daughter did anything inappropriate. She's (my daughter) still going to be missing recess for a few days. Nothing is going to be done to the two that made the accusations of inappropriate behavior. They will be keeping a closer eye on the trouble girl.
I wasn't thrilled the out come, but whatever. Well see how things go from here. My wife told the principal any and all issues were going to result In a call, and if things don't go well we'll be looking into legal actions. Thay made the principal squirm a but, so hopefully this bs is done

I can’t imagine having kids in public schools these days…any public school…they are all indoctrination centers now, not schools like I remember.
if I had kids I would do anything and everything to get them out and home-school them. I would be that guy you see on YouTube, dragged out of a school board meeting by 5 cops. 🤬🤬🤬

good luck tomorrow.
We home schooled for 3 years when the boys were in elementary school. The public school was the English as a Second Language center for the district and they had so many kids attending those classes that the kids who didn't need them were often left "in center." "In center" was basically study hall... no instruction. Then those kids left behind got behind and they wanted to put most of them in "reading recovery" because they were reading below grade level. The principal, a woman I went to Jr and Sr HS with, spent a big part of her day driving around the neighborhood smoking cigarettes as she couldn't smoke on school property. At that point we pulled them out, home schooled, and then put them in the parochial school where they thrived. My youngest son received so many awards at 8th grade graduation it was almost embarrassing. It was sort of like the graduation scene from the movie Mask with Cher, Sam Elliot and Eric Stoltz... sans the bikers. 😉 Then in HS the gang bangers gave him crap which was another bad school experience. The schools didn't want to hear any of it...

We've had that discussion quite a few times. Even talked it over with our siblings and cousins, and doing a home school school for all the kids, where we rotate theough whos houes they are at for the week. There are several problems that popped up, not insurmountable, but enough that that we decided against it. Living pretty far apart was one of the bigger issues. Non of us can stand to be without two incomes.

Well, it was pretty much a shite show. She dropped the notion that my daughter did anything inappropriate. She's (my daughter) still going to be missing recess for a few days. Nothing is going to be done to the two that made the accusations of inappropriate behavior. They will be keeping a closer eye on the trouble girl.
I wasn't thrilled the out come, but whatever. Well see how things go from here. My wife told the principal any and all issues were going to result In a call, and if things don't go well we'll be looking into legal actions. Thay made the principal squirm a but, so hopefully this bs is done
It wouldn’t hurt for you to send an email to the principal summarizing your conversation and reinforcing the fact that you guys are done screwing around with this. Also wouldn’t hurt to carbon copy anybody and everybody as far as school leadership up to and including the superintendent.

It wouldn’t hurt for you to send an email to the principal summarizing your conversation and reinforcing the fact that you guys are done screwing around with this. Also wouldn’t hurt to carbon copy anybody and everybody as far as school leadership up to and including the superintendent.
That's a very good idea, I hadn't thought of doing something like that. I'm gonna send the wife a message and get her on it.

Is Silver Maple considered a Hardwood? We had a Soft Maple (don't know it's real name) in our yard growing up. It had slick bark.
While technically they are all hardwood, Silver Maple, Red Maple (aka swamp maple) and other trees in the Maple family (like Sycamore) are MUCH softer than Sugar Maple (aka hard maple) and Black Maple (aka rock maple). Norway Maple (imported) is pretty common around here and is also fairly hard and IMO harder to split than the others. They planted it a lot in NYC, and it has spread. The leaves drop after the other types of Maple.

Young Silver Maple and young Red Maple often have very smooth bark.

FYI, Black Maple is what is used for gym and bowling alley floors.

I asked already, but I'll bump it to the top. Any idea what tree this is? Hard Maple? If so, I might try to slab off some for cutting boards.
View attachment 1135563
Here's a soft maple from my front yard,

Resized-20231214-160715-A.jpg

And. YES it would still make decent cutting boards.

SR

Lawsuit is often the only thing these "people" understand.

Latest posts

Back