Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got a 2 man saw (sans handles), a large two-handed scythe, and 2 smaller one-handed scythes.

They are stored in my garage and shed at home, mostly out of site.

I keep thinking they would be great to display up at the cabin but haven't figured out where I would want to put them!

It seems all of our wall space gets used quickly for other purposes (coat hanger, pot hangers, deer antlers, tools, etc.).

No wood cutting today but I did manage to scrounge up a 254xp for $120. He wanted $150 for it. It has spark and compression. The guy said that he just can't get it running. He also didn't know what the decompression button was for. The bar and chain are good. I get home and checked the fuel tank. The saw has no gas in it. No time today to mess with it. Pictures will follow when I get a chance.

Finally was able to run my friends 400 today doing some nonstop cutting. He had supposedly run 2 tanks through when we started, it was already keeping pace with or slightly outcutting my 590. By tank 6 at the end it was just barely outdoing my 620, felt lighter than the 620 as well

No wood cutting today but I did manage to scrounge up a 254xp for $120. He wanted $150 for it. It has spark and compression. The guy said that he just can't get it running. He also didn't know what the decompression button was for. The bar and chain are good. I get home and checked the fuel tank. The saw has no gas in it. No time today to mess with it. Pictures will follow when I get a chance.
I couldn't hold off any longer. I had to know how this saw ran. First thing I found is that the spark plug was loose and completely fouled out. I put in a new plug, filled up the gas tank, blew out the air filter, primed the engine thru the carb and let it rip. It fired right up and runs great. I'll need to take a good 1/16" off the square tooth chain to sharpen it. Somebody was a ground cutter. It does have as 20" 3/8's bar and chain setup on it.

Attachments

• 20231216_144332.mp4
    31 MB
nice!

got a similar project going on up at my wilderness cabin remod. new kitchen counter/casework going in. well, soon... have had the counter top for yrs, picked it up as a scrounge. new! unused. builder had a new, not installed case work. so it will go in, then new counter top. ss sink, etc. and ss vent, light ohead... issue i am dealing with now is to add windows there or not...

nice!

got a similar project going on up at my wilderness cabin remod. new kitchen counter/casework going in. well, soon... have had the counter top for yrs, picked it up as a scrounge. new! unused. builder had a new, not installed case work. so it will go in, then new counter top. ss sink, etc. and ss vent, light ohead... issue i am dealing with now is to add windows there or not...
should help make keeping that area of the cabin clean. i like a clean kitchen, KP'd etc... but well, at times a guy can get behind....
zzzzxcf.jpg

I couldn't hold off any longer. I had to know how this saw ran. First thing I found is that the spark plug was loose and completely fouled out. I put in a new plug, filled up the gas tank, blew out the air filter, primed the engine thru the carb and let it rip. It fired right up and runs great. I'll need to take a good 1/16" off the square tooth chain to sharpen it. Somebody was a ground cutter. It does have as 20" 3/8's bar and chain setup on it.
I guess it runs okay for a Husky. :innocent:

Back