Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fixed :rolleyes::sucks:.
I can get by most times with a ported 70-79, even running a 36" in hardwood. Many of the trees I cut that need a bar that long are half rotten anyway and I could cut them with a shorter bar, but I'd rather get it done and get out of there or I'd rather not hang on the low side any longer than need be :oops:.
Couple posts and a cable is all a guy needs right lol.
View attachment 1138190View attachment 1138191View attachment 1138192
Nice pics! 👍🏻 I can get by with a 50cc saw and a 20" bar tip'n 4 and 5 foot across old growth, but what's the fun in that? 😒
Packed a 90cc six hours a day. Five to six days a week for years. Never hurt back. Besides Chipper. I didn't start the 046 460 462R 46.... topic. My comment was just a joke bud. I don't care what kind of saw or how big or small of saw folks want to run. As long as it works for them and thats what they like. That's all that matters right.😉 However, in the end...

...ITS ALL ABOUT THE 90CC!!!
Screenshot_20231130_194401_Video Player.jpg
🤣👍

It all depends on what you are cutting! I have 6 - 90+ cc saws. Mostly I use them when milling, but not always.

I usually don't need to run a saw that heavy if I only need a 28" (or smaller) bar, unless I'm doing something like noodling 3' White Oak rounds ... then the extra power is worth it!

The big saws also usually drink a lot, so if I have to go into the woods w/o my gas can, I'll usually choose a smaller saw. For what I cut, the 70 cc saws are usually the most practical.

Also, limbing hardwoods is a lot different than limbing softwoods, especially if you are turning it all into firewood. The more you have to lift and reach, the lighter you want your saw to be.

Well Gents. The skidsteer has an axel seal going out and possibly an axel bering. Parts are on the way. Also, the roads have been horribly icy. In turn, shutting me down from hauling any equipment or logs. So I fired up my my Honda. Hooked up my trailer. Then took the ol
☠️WAR WAGON☠️ out and got my scrounge on!
Got a late start today and only hauled two OVERLOADS. I'm shooting for five OVERLOADS tomorrow. 😉

The logging roads are bad with ice.
20231223_154827.jpg

The main Highway is even worse. A person could literally ice skate down them!
20231223_163610.jpg

This is the Spruce snag I tipped over fir today's scrounge

Today's first OVERLOAD
20231223_150014.jpg20231223_150104.jpg

Today's second OVERLOAD
20231223_161327.jpg
20231223_161132.jpg

Cut safe, stay sharp and be aware! 👍

It all depends on what you are cutting! I have 6 - 90+ cc saws. Mostly I use them when milling, but not always.

I usually don't need to run a saw that heavy if I only need a 28" (or smaller) bar, unless I'm doing something like noodling 3' White Oak rounds ... then the extra power is worth it!

The big saws also usually drink a lot, so if I have to go into the woods w/o my gas can, I'll usually choose a smaller saw. For what I cut, the 70 cc saws are usually the most practical.

Also, limbing hardwoods is a lot different than limbing softwoods, especially if you are turning it all into firewood. The more you have to lift and reach, the lighter you want your saw to be.
90cc definitely do guzzle gobs of go juice. No doubt about it and they are relatively heavy when compared to most other power saws. I will say that STIHL did a good job shaving weight off of their 90's when they introduced the 661. It is much lighter that an 066 or 660.
I actually run my 260 quite a bit. Especially since Sierra_rider hopped it up. That little saw sceams now and makes great power. It's awsome at cutting out blocks for tree jacks too. I can get a tight fit much easier using a small saw for this specific fundamental. Because it's not as awkward and clumsy as a big saw with the tip dangling three and a half feet out in front of me. Every saw has its place. Every Saw!

A picture of myself taking a jack block out using my Hopped 260 and a picture taken while executing the final back cut. Using my Hopped 661
20231208_130903001_1702094439690_001.jpg20231208_131818001_1702094329126_001.jpg

Fixed :rolleyes::sucks:.
I can get by most times with a ported 70-79, even running a 36" in hardwood. Many of the trees I cut that need a bar that long are half rotten anyway and I could cut them with a shorter bar, but I'd rather get it done and get out of there or I'd rather not hang on the low side any longer than need be :oops:.
Couple posts and a cable is all a guy needs right lol.
View attachment 1138190View attachment 1138191View attachment 1138192
If your post wood is sound and strong enough and your line is placed and tensioned properly. I believe you're correct Brett. That really is all you need! At least most of the time. Good looking work man!👍

Nice pics! 👍🏻 I can get by with a 50cc saw and a 20" bar tip'n 4 and 5 foot across old growth, but what's the fun in that? 😒
Packed a 90cc six hours a day. Five to six days a week for years. Never hurt back. Besides Chipper. I didn't start the 046 460 462R 46.... topic. My comment was just a joke bud. I don't care what kind of saw or how big or small of saw folks want to run. As long as it works for them and thats what they like. That's all that matters right.😉 However, in the end...

View attachment 1138194
🤣👍
Time to dig up Randy Mac's vid.
Echo Cs400, 16", 40" Doug Fir...no problem...

Well Gents. The skidsteer has an axel seal going out and possibly an axel bering. Parts are on the way. Also, the roads have been horribly icy. In turn, shutting me down from hauling any equipment or logs. So I fired up my my Honda. Hooked up my trailer. Then took the ol
☠️WAR WAGON☠️ out and got my scrounge on!
Got a late start today and only hauled two OVERLOADS. I'm shooting for five OVERLOADS tomorrow. 😉

The logging roads are bad with ice.
View attachment 1138200

The main Highway is even worse. A person could literally ice skate down them!
View attachment 1138195

This is the Spruce snag I tipped over fir today's scrounge

Today's first OVERLOAD
View attachment 1138217View attachment 1138211

Today's second OVERLOAD
View attachment 1138202
View attachment 1138223

Time for spiked tires? :p

Time to dig up Randy Mac's vid.
Echo Cs400, 16", 40" Doug Fir...no problem...
It can definitely be done. Just gotta cut out a steep face or execute a block face cut, so you can get the saw in there to bore out the center. You don't always need all that hinge wood.👍

Also in Washington and many other states. Rarely enforced however
I think it's only enforced here if someone files a complaint with the Bureau of Weights and Measures who are the one's in charge. Dad had a guy call him and complain that dad shorted him. Dad threw some wood in the truck and we went to give it to the guy. We got there and the guy had the wood stacked so tight you couldn't have put the proverbial hair between the pieces. Pretty sure that guy never got wood again.

View attachment 1138194
🤣👍lol 😆
IMG_1514.jpeg

It is in...extended Mag...not clip 🙄

Rookie...
There was supposed to be another " after clip, like this "clip", but somehow I lost one lol.
I wouldn't say that, that's why I was ":laughing:" at the end of the sentence, he knows I know. I've got one or two myself, and been around them all my life, shotgun news was the reading material in the bathroom when I was a kid :).

My point being that a person wielding a weapon is doing the assaulting. By using the gun grabbers made up name we help them spread their lies.
That's why the lol is there ;). I've done more to dispel their lies than most, but I enjoy using their terminology against them. Much like when you(iirc) asked to describe an assault weapon, if the head of the ATF can't do it, then neither can they. I really enjoyed all the guys telling me how hard it was to buy a pistol after all the blm crap, since they had been lied to for so long and thought you just walked in a store and bought whatever you wanted and walked out:laughing:.
Besides, it's a 22, then again, so are my 223's :p, but they know nothing about that. Those 9mm's are the deadly ones, they'll blow the lungs right out!
The 2A was never absolute :buttkick:.

Latest posts

Back