Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't complain about that lol. Did you bother to tell him he was getting a cord of wood?
Nope.
He was happy, and I didn't wanna rock his boat.
He said he's been burning wood for 60 years, so I figured he felt like the he was authority on cords & ricks and such matters.

Ok. Back to saws and wood n stuff. Make Arboristsite Great Again! Ooh aah!
I have been hearing a lot of buzz about the new Stihl ms462. I have a ms460. On paper they're pretty close with the 462 about a pound lighter. For those of you who have run both, is it really that much of an upgrade?
I have an 046 Magnum and haven't run it since I got my 462. The 462 is lighter and has more power.
Imagine if you ever ran a 372xp….

🤣🤣🤣

You’d be in love and not know what to do with yourself
I have two 046's on the shelf..... I bought the 462R mostly because of the lighter weight. I like the 046 with a 32 or 36" bar when bucking bigger logs - if it's not to far from the truck! The 462 gets packed on the trails!
My brother sold his 460 after running my ported 462 and got a ported 462. As we get older, the weight difference becomes more important.

Performance wise, it can be a tough call because 046/460 timing #s and performance are all over the place! Some of them run much stronger than others.

But the 462 is much more user friendly. It is smoother, it is faster, it is computer controlled (no tuning) and has instant throttle response. It also has that real nice clean air filter technology, which saves a lot of time with not cleaning the filter so often. The 460 has a few more ccs, and if you got a good one it may have a bit more grunt. With 20" and 24" bars my 462s are my go-to saws, with 28" bars I will usually go with a hybrid or my ported 460.

Note: Almost everything I cut is hardwood.
The 461 has a wider power band/sweet spot than a 460, and gets better fuel economy.
The 462 has a more ergonomic handlebar angle, spring AV, and clean air tech (all things husky had).
The 460/461 is a much more durable and well built saw than the 462, but I'd choose the 462 over them any day of the week unless I was milling with them, and then I wouldn't choose any of them lol.

You can swing by and run mine, bring ear protection, the muffler cover makes it loud as heck :surprised3:.
I don't think it's a huge jump in power, but it does have more power than a 372oe or XT, it runs with a 461 no problem and those beat out a 372 all day long. It is a good bit lighter than a 372oe(the XT is heavier than them), but if you put a lightweight bar on the husky you'd be right there with it. I know, then you have to do that to the stihl and it would be lighter; but it still doesn't handle like the husky, and therefor when using it the husky would still feel lighter(at least to a guy who's used to huskys ergonomics).
Too bad the 572 is such a fat pig when comparing weight, but it is a beast of a saw if you're cutting for a living. @Logger nate , did I miss anything :hi:.
You all should just step up to the 90cc class STIHLs . Then your troubles with be far away! Screenshot_20231130_194329_Video Player.jpgScreenshot_20231130_194401_Video Player.jpg
Good times!👍

🤔I would say "cut safe, stay sharp and be aware", but...🤷

Been pretty busy at the wood pile the past few months. Getting caught back up. Working on next winters stack. All (like 98% of it) is Red Oak.

Iv got 2.5 cord split and stacked for next winter. This oak has been bucked and in A pile for over 4 years now.

Kubota doing the moving today. Very muddy. And the 590A1 (if you can see it) and Glock are my social workers for the day.

Son helped me split and stack for a good hour and a half this morning and we went inside and had lunch. I tore all the flooring and plywood (2 layers) out of our bathroom and now I’m back out here. Just finishing up for the day. About had enough.

Attachments

• IMG_2382.jpeg
    10.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2381.jpeg
    IMG_2381.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Those miserable little weasels kill chickens.
Kill chickens yes. Miserable little weasels? 🤔 I guess that would all depend on what time of year and what the weather is doing. I mean, I get miserable in the wind and rain myself sometimes. However, I bet Ermines aren't to miserable when they are slaughtering chickens. Probably having the time of their lives actually.

Just wanted to give you all an update on my Christmas shopping. Went out and started it today. Brought home two loaves of bread and a carton of cigarettes. I had to keep lookin over my shoulder to make sure that guy with the a$$less chaps and the big chainsaw wasn't chasing me. Thankfully I am home safe. :yes:

If you were driving a Jonsered, you'd be zig zagging in touch with yourself
Dodging bears and the grease trail in the woods
Kill chickens yes. Miserable little weasels? 🤔 I guess that would all depend on what time of year and what the weather is doing. I mean, I get miserable in the wind and rain myself sometimes. However, I bet Ermines aren't to miserable when they are slaughtering chickens. Probably having the time of their lives actually.
My daughter lost 10 chickens to weasels.

Back