Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's just stupid municipalities that do crap like that. We did quite a few widening and reclamation projects while I was at the township, years before we would widen or reclaim any sewer/utility company was informed to preform any and all work possible before the road project was done. As far as I know, it's been a very successful plan of operation for them.
Sometimes it's a programming and timing issue... I'm familiar with many of the projects in this area. Gas main and lateral replacements have been going on for years as the originals are 100+ years old in many cases. Many of the water mains, storm water systems, and sewers are even older. There are also Complete Streets and ADA compliance projects being programmed. With the private/public projects, myriad funders with sometimes competing agendas, and the finite resources for planning, grant management and construction it's all very complicated and the street still has to be in service. Using one arterial street as an example: Last year the gas mains and laterals were replaced on the street that overall was in bad shape to begin with. That road is scheduled for significant sewer and storm water work next year. Ultimately the whole road will be rebuilt to include new pavement, sidewalks, bike lanes Complete Streets and Safe Routes to School initiatives. Due to the scheduling gaps between the private utility work and the public works projects the road was repaved after the gas work. In the perfect world of a vacuum this wouldn't happen... In the imperfect world of myriad demands on the municipality it does.

Perhaps even worse, sometimes things aren't really done before the next phase starts... on another street (each side in a different municipality) the gas lines were replaced and instead of compacting and properly patching the trench, and scarifying the street first, they immediately paved the whole street. Now there is what seems like a toboggan run in the black top where the gas mains were replaced. I'm glad the neighboring municipality did it and not mine! I suspect the, known to be impatient and overly frugal, supervisor tried to save a few bucks.

Sometimes it's a programming and timing issue... I'm familiar with many of the projects in this area. Gas main and lateral replacements have been going on for years as the originals are 100+ years old in many cases. Many of the water mains, storm water systems, and sewers are even older. There are also Complete Streets and ADA compliance projects being programmed. With the private/public projects, myriad funders with sometimes competing agendas, and the finite resources for planning, grant management and construction it's all very complicated and the street still has to be in service. Using one arterial street as an example: Last year the gas mains and laterals were replaced on the street that overall was in bad shape to begin with. That road is scheduled for significant sewer and storm water work next year. Ultimately the whole road will be rebuilt to include new pavement, sidewalks, bike lanes Complete Streets and Safe Routes to School initiatives. Due to the scheduling gaps between the private utility work and the public works projects the road was repaved after the gas work. In the perfect world of a vacuum this wouldn't happen... In the imperfect world of myriad demands on the municipality it does.

Perhaps even worse, sometimes things aren't really done before the next phase starts... on another street (each side in a different municipality) the gas lines were replaced and instead of compacting and properly patching the trench, and scarifying the street first, they immediately paved the whole street. Now there is what seems like a toboggan run in the black top where the gas mains were replaced. I'm glad the neighboring municipality did it and not mine! I suspect the, known to be impatient and overly frugal, supervisor tried to save a few bucks.
You Must be in a larger city area. Just a small township, depended a lot on our surrounding townships just to do road work. Was pretty easy to coordinate projects like that. Can't remember what year of the "township road maintenance" plan we were on when I was there, but that pretty much how it worked out. (I want to say we were in year 8 when we hit the harvest road project.) We did the drain pipe and sewer work then the next year paved/widened or reclaimed the road.

well, it din't last long. some bellyaching, and such. over in Chainsaws... i was pretty sure the post/thread would get moved. now, i am thinking it just got DELETED! 😋

Thanks for all those thorough details, now we know exactly what you’re talking about.

Thanks for all those thorough details, now we know exactly what you’re talking about.
it was gone so fast, i barely even caught up with it... but in synopsis....

a poster, had complained, quite aggressively... ("what in the 7734 is the deal...." ) only did not use 7734 about asking a question(s) and the myriads of other things that showed up in (a) thread other than what he was seeking answers to. and, of course, it opened the door for some subscriber follow up... and evidently, the Top Brass, or such chose to remove it.

in any event, i am sure not the first, nor will be the last

hope this helps. :)

i was able to back space pages thru site and got to when it was still a thread. but please bear with me, i do not have more to say about it. for if i do.... little doubt i mite have to go to camp! 🚫 'camp 🚫

i did save it though....

Actually,🤔 I believe he dose! Word in the woods has it. He couldn't handle the unstoppable, brutal and devastating low end power and the keg of dynamite. Slap the hardest man in the face and make him humble. Power band of a Stihl!
View attachment 1149145View attachment 1149146

🤷 At least that's what I heard.
If you watch his videos, you know he does lol. He does some crazy stuff up in 5hose hills.
A bad day in the woods getting my scrounge on last week. I busted the handle on my 12lb sledge, as well as busted the head of my neighbor's 8lb IsoPro right in half driving steel splitting wedges. Now I'm back to an eight pound maul until I can get both repaired and replaced.😒
View attachment 1149149

Good news is. Skidsteer is repaired! 👍
Bummer about the splitter/sledge.
Awesome the skids all set. What did it need.

I'm looking for a flippy FUEL cap for my AM gas tank on a Stihl 038. The number from one vendor cites a part # of 00003500525. I see Oil/Gas combos on sale. Are the Oil caps the same size as the Gas cap? My oil tank on the saw still takes a thread-on cap.
Look it up under ms380/381 ;).
Wheres all the stihl guys to help you out lol.
My IPL doesn't list a number for a flippy cap. The original metal tank took a screw-in cap. My saw has an AM plastic tank on it now that takes a flippy cap.

Interestingly, I found the O-ring has shrunk. I replaced with a huge O-ring, and the cap now seals. This weekend, I'm headed to a local farm store that has O-rings. I'll try to find one slightly larger than the defective one and pick up a few. As well as picking up a few spare caps, too.

P.S. Where do you buy your OEM parts?
If you need to save an o-ring, sometimes you can soak it in some of the engine cleaning/ oil stop leak products as they will often swell up o-rings and gaskets. I've used thus method before on o-rings that my local suppliers could not get and it worked well, but I see no need if they are available and you can afford them.
Just know, the fuel leak at the cap is not the reason the saw isn't running properly.

You guys complained about flippy caps in the past, but I've never had a problem with mine until today. I've been working on my 038 and I put on a new tank vent. I was hoping that would do the trick. Went to the log yard to test, but nope, have to keep pumping the throttle to keep it going. Leaking fuel cap wouldn't cause that would it?

To make matters worse, the flippy cap now leaks. Took it off twice to check for debris and saw nothing. I can't believe I damaged it setting on my bench. Do I'll order a couple new ones. Might as well pick up some new fuel filters and hoses as well. I put a new fuel filter on but didn't change the fuel line.

I've had various problems with them in the past, and the present, just realized the oil cap on my 462 was leaking this morning. But most of the problems I've had on them were somewhat self inflicted, not getting the cap on properly or as with this one most likely because the saw/cap is dirty. They aren't the worse design in the world, but they are overly complex, especially compared to a husky flippy cap.
As for the 038, if you have to keep on the throttle, something is wrong. A saw with a plugged vent will usually run fine for a bit, then as negative pressure builds(a vacuum) in the tank they start running like crap until they shut off.
What were the initial symptoms of the saw.
I encountered one where someone tried to jam it in and damaged the "teeth" or cogs or whatever you call them. Otherwise it just seems like they occasionally need an o-ring changed.

Wheres all the stihl guys to help you out lol.2

If you need to save an o-ring, sometimes you can soak it in some of the engine cleaning/ oil stop leak products as they will often swell up o-rings and gaskets. I've used thus method before on o-rings that my local suppliers could not get and it worked well, but I see no need if they are available and you can afford them.
Just know, the fuel leak at the cap is not the reason the saw isn't running properly.
HEY!! I gave him my 2 pennies. :surprised3:

Wheres all the stihl guys to help you out lol.

I always defer to those with more experience. You know all you old guys.:laugh:
Holy crap-7 pages behind. I guess let me know if I missed anything important.
Only my posts. :laughing:

Back