Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Work well for what I need them to do View attachment 1163442View attachment 1163443this is what I need to modify View attachment 1163444
They are VERY handy, I quite often use mine for an "adjustable" table,

Exhaust-Pipe-01.jpg

That day I was building an exhaust for a tractor.

SR

That's a shame, I have a small collection of kerosene, and white gas lanterns. Have a few that leak around the crimps from the fuel tanks. Always wondered if they could be fixed. The one in particular we used out in thr horse barn for light (junk barn, never had horses in it as long as I could remember, And no electric was ever ran to it.) I kept it when we moved off the farm. Dug it out last time the power was out, stupid bottom tank seam leaks kerosene out of it. Just real slow, but enough I wasn't comfortable using it.
They can be fixed. I have a kerosene lantern that I got when I was a kid. always stayed out in the garage and the kerosene picked up moisture. A small hole developed in the bottom of the tank from rust. I dumped out the K1, rinsed out the inside (and outside) a couple of times with hexane (you could use white gas). Then I rinsed 2x with acetone and washed down the outside too. Be careful to try and only do the leaking area if your paint is still good. acetone my dissolve your paint. Lastly I applied a thin coat of clear epoxy (made for oil/gas contact) and let it dry. Doesn't leak anymore.

I also have three of those stoves, none of mine leak and they still work great.

I always had one when camping, or on hunts out in the Alaskan bush. Being pressurized, they work even at high altitude or when it's below zero out, and Yeaa, I tent hunted and camped in below zero temps many times staying in a 3 man tent on fly out trips, hunting by myself.

I put a LOT of meat in my freezer on those hunts!

SR
I've used mine in temps down to the teens... This on a 3,100+ mile bicycle ride from FL to NY from January to the middle of April. I meandered up the coast as far west as Charlotte, NC. It was outside Charlotte where I got to experience over night temperatures in the teens and daytime temperatures in the 20s and low 30s. The stove cooked and kept me a bit warmer when I got up in the morning.

The last few trips I used an MSR WhisperLite International and an MSR Pocket Rocket Deluxe. The WhisperLite uses liquid fuel (white gas, unleaded gasoline). The Pocket Rocket uses canisters. I found I wasn't really cooking any more, mostly boiling water. On the first FL to NY trip I was "cooking" and actually carried a gallon can of Coleman fuel with me. This as using it as a heat source and cooking meals I went through fuel! I found the smaller and much lighter Pocket Rocket was great on my 1,200 mile 2022 trip. I put it inside my pot for packing purposes.

1710967209575.png

1710967112104.png
1710967647881.png

We used Coleman white gas lanterns for decades to provide light in the cabin until my brother wired it for lights, battery and inverter.

Harold and I also left one run all night when we used the wall tent in freezing cold windy weather to help keep us from freezing. It was our only source of heat, and it was very cold and windy. I think it saved us but was not a comfortable night just the same. Not long after that, I prefabbed a cabin in my driveway, and we set it up in one WE! 15-20 years later we built a bigger and better cabin!

Hey guys!

Been awhile. It was an easy winter where I focused all my efforts on family and the home. Just got back out in the woods today to clear some downed trees and make more clearings for trails and hiking. Hope is well.

Some fun

How much wood did you burn this year??
And what do you call a mild winter???

We had a mild one here in Indiana where I live to..few real cold snaps but nothing lasted to long!!

We used Coleman white gas lanterns for decades to provide light in the cabin until my brother wired it for lights, battery and inverter.

Harold and I also left one run all night when we used the wall tent in freezing cold windy weather to help keep us from freezing. It was our only source of heat, and it was very cold and windy. I think it saved us but was not a comfortable night just the same. Not long after that, I prefabbed a cabin in my driveway, and we set it up in one WE! 15-20 years later we built a bigger and better cabin!

Yeah... those lanterns give off some heat! We had a Coleman catalytic heater for our big wall tent when I was a kid. It was like the one in the photo. It kept the temperature relatively comfortable but the fumes were brutal... we stopped using it.

1710976957808.png

We had a mild one here in Indiana where I live to..few real cold snaps but nothing lasted to long!!
I probably burned about 1/4 of a cord. Seriously warm winter and natty gas has gotten so cheap so I was relying on that source instead.

Burned very little wood this year. Maybe two cords.. That's two stoves.. It was a winter that " wasn't". Burned some scrounged cherry, maple, ash, hickory, and some oak, Only shoveled Moms driveway once.. Feels pretty strange to be honest. Not bitchin, just strange.. I did pull the wood tarp back the other day and found a bunch of varmit nests under it.. Remember that below zero blast at x-mas ???

Burned very little wood this year. Maybe two cords.. That's two stoves.. It was a winter that " wasn't". Burned some scrounged cherry, maple, ash, hickory, and some oak, Only shoveled Moms driveway once.. Feels pretty strange to be honest. Not bitchin, just strange.. I did pull the wood tarp back the other day and found a bunch of varmit nests under it.. Remember that below zero blast at x-mas ???
So do you use only wood to heat your house or natty gas or electric???

I'm at 1.5ish cords and 300 gallons of propane for this winter. I didn't start burning wood until mid December. I normally burn 3 cords and 500 gallons of propane.

They can be fixed. I have a kerosene lantern that I got when I was a kid. always stayed out in the garage and the kerosene picked up moisture. A small hole developed in the bottom of the tank from rust. I dumped out the K1, rinsed out the inside (and outside) a couple of times with hexane (you could use white gas). Then I rinsed 2x with acetone and washed down the outside too. Be careful to try and only do the leaking area if your paint is still good. acetone my dissolve your paint. Lastly I applied a thin coat of clear epoxy (made for oil/gas contact) and let it dry. Doesn't leak anymore.
Thats great! Just what I wanted to hear. The red one in the pics is the one that leaks.
I've used mine in temps down to the teens... This on a 3,100+ mile bicycle ride from FL to NY from January to the middle of April. I meandered up the coast as far west as Charlotte, NC. It was outside Charlotte where I got to experience over night temperatures in the teens and daytime temperatures in the 20s and low 30s. The stove cooked and kept me a bit warmer when I got up in the morning.

The last few trips I used an MSR WhisperLite International and an MSR Pocket Rocket Deluxe. The WhisperLite uses liquid fuel (white gas, unleaded gasoline). The Pocket Rocket uses canisters. I found I wasn't really cooking any more, mostly boiling water. On the first FL to NY trip I was "cooking" and actually carried a gallon can of Coleman fuel with me. This as using it as a heat source and cooking meals I went through fuel! I found the smaller and much lighter Pocket Rocket was great on my 1,200 mile 2022 trip. I put it inside my pot for packing purposes.

View attachment 1163461

View attachment 1163460
View attachment 1163462
Here's a few pics of my collection, only thing I didn't dig out is the msr dragonfly stove. Wife has it buried pretty deep with the camping gear. We did a bunch of camping and backpacking through Florida's great cypress national preserve for our honeymoon. Didn't need it for heat at all, but sure beat finding wood for a fire whenever we wanted to eat. Noisey as all get out. One day when the kids are older I'd like to get back into backpacking, wife and I had a lot of fun doing it before we had kids.

Some of my collection of lanterns, lamps and the propane cook stoves. The little red dietz is the one I'd like to fix. Somewhere I have a larger black one that leaks at the same place.

Attachments

• 20240320_200455.jpg
    20240320_200455.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240320_200442.jpg
    20240320_200442.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240320_200431.jpg
    20240320_200431.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Shoot, if the weather keeps being stupid around here I'll be over 7 cord this heating season. I'm about halfway through the 6 cord row right now. Been in the high 20's to low 30's over night this week. I was really hoping to burn 6 cord or less, focus more on the shop and less on dealing with wood this summer. Dad retired last year (a year ago yesterday.) So I expected his wood consumption to go way up. It didn't. Went down, he's been buring the oil furnace pretty often. I'm happy since it puts me way ahead, but I'm not sure I'll be taking so much over there next year.

Thats great! Just what I wanted to hear. The red one in the pics is the one that leaks.

Here's a few pics of my collection, only thing I didn't dig out is the msr dragonfly stove. Wife has it buried pretty deep with the camping gear. We did a bunch of camping and backpacking through Florida's great cypress national preserve for our honeymoon. Didn't need it for heat at all, but sure beat finding wood for a fire whenever we wanted to eat. Noisey as all get out. One day when the kids are older I'd like to get back into backpacking, wife and I had a lot of fun doing it before we had kids.

Some of my collection of lanterns, lamps and the propane cook stoves. The little red dietz is the one I'd like to fix. Somewhere I have a larger black one that leaks at the same place.
FL gets cold... I was somewhere around Palmetto, FL the morning the Challenger blew up. I had a very heavy frost on the tent and stayed in the sleeping bag late... there was still a lot of frost after I got up.
FL_PalmettoChallengerExpDay.gifFL_Palmetto19860128ChallengerExplosion2.gif

Latest posts

Back