Scrounging for Splitter parts!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a little more done the last couple days.. Hitch and jack mounted. Hydraulic tank mounted. Stand mounted for the valves.

I went to TSC today and bought two 5 gallon pales of hydraulic fluid and a 14" chop saw. That will sure help in cutting parts exact for the log lift...:wink2:
208569d1322272551-imag0257-jpg

208570d1322272650-imag0258-jpg

208572d1322272827-imag0259-jpg

I think I would like to stiffen up the Beam. Has anyone gusseted an I beam before? I never have and wondering what material to use and how?

I boxed mine in with 1/4 in plate. capped both ends and boxed the sides near cylinder to prevent twisting.. left the beam open from wedge to cylinder, boxed the rest. no twist but can actually see a little flex in my beam at max pressure.. beam is 6 inch h beam over 1/2 thick top plate with 1/2 x 6 welded to that for a 1 inch top sliding surface.

Not picking or being an a.. hole but I would honestly consider making the pusher plate/ slide a little thicker... bent my first one made out of 1/2 plate and moved up to 1.25 on a later design.

nice work so far. want to see picks when done keep it up

Got a hair up my ass last week and drug this thing back into the garage to get it finished up. I should have it all fabricated by next week. I had to order a new valve because the valves I had wasn't going to work well together. Needed to get a Power Beyond valve to work with the other one. Doh..

Did some more work on the splitter after work today. I hope to build tables on both sides of the beam to catch the wood tomorrow. The lift is pretty much done.

Burnin the midnight oil here boys. Start painting tomorrow! Here's a couple pics. Bench trolls helping chip the slag off the welds. They had fun tonight. They are learning the importance of measuring and keeping things square. Lol.
260780d1351998366-imag0431-jpg

260781d1351998436-imag0429-jpg

Last edited:
Got home from work today and ran some wood through the new splitter. Did red oak, white oak, and pecan. Some rounds were 32". Splitter had no issues lifting or splitting them at all. So far I like.
261614d1352514666-imag0447-jpg

261615d1352514714-imag0446-jpg

261617d1352514762-imag0445-jpg

261618d1352514820-imag0444-jpg

Last edited:
First off looks like it works well for your needs. I am building my first splitter now and love seeing what works for other people. Why the jack stand under the engine? Does the log lift put stress on that side and cause it to twist?

First off looks like it works well for your needs. I am building my first splitter now and love seeing what works for other people. Why the jack stand under the engine? Does the log lift put stress on that side and cause it to twist?

It's there for stability. Without it you have a triangle and the front wants to twist on the jack. I bought a jack to weld on were the jack stand is in that pic. Will weld on this weekend. Only thing missing on it...

It's there for stability. Without it you have a triangle and the front wants to twist on the jack. I bought a jack to weld on were the jack stand is in that pic. Will weld on this weekend. Only thing missing on it...

Is the twisting due to the extended length of your beam? Just a question not ment to imply anything. I'm trying to determine how long my beam should be. My design has some of the same features as your splitter in regards to location of engine, tank and such, but my axle is mounted more in the center. Would this prevent the twisting you are experiencing.

Is the twisting due to the extended length of your beam? Just a question not ment to imply anything. I'm trying to determine how long my beam should be. My design has some of the same features as your splitter in regards to location of engine, tank and such, but my axle is mounted more in the center. Would this prevent the twisting you are experiencing.

Yes. The length has a lot to do with it. My plans are to put a tool box on the front portion of the beam. I put my axle towards the end so it tows better and easier to back up. Not so short coupled.

Latest posts

Back