Sears D-44 Direct Drive Questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ridgerunner97

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I picked up a free D-44 Direct drive off a buddy of mine's girlfriend who's parents owned a rental company for several years, they were cleaning it out and found this saw and gave it to me. It is missing the recoil starter. Has good compression by turning the flywheel. It's model numer is 917.63201 as far as I know. It states that it has a Power Products AH-44 type 1446 engine. And on Acres' site it states it has the Power Products rewind, and carb. Does anybody know where I may possibly find a rewind? Also anybody know how these oldies run? I really love the older saws and would like to get this one running to add to the collection of Poulan's and the old Homie I have. Thanks for any help fellas I appreciate it.

I will look again, but I think I saw one on ebay!
My uncle has a sears gear drive, he still uses it!!
I couple of the models look similar, maybe??? they are interchangeable?

Last edited by a moderator:
It is a Roper built saw. There are a lot of them out there. Best bet for parts is a second saw. There are quite of few of them still getting used around here. I would describe the saw as a slow but with decent pulling power. They can rattle themselves to pieces and you as well. Typically see them with 16"-24" bars with 3/8 or .404.

Weaknesses being the clutch and casting issues(thin spots, impurities). Many of the starters, air filter covers and chain covers broke or are at least cracked. Check the fuel and oil reservoirs for cracks and holes. If you have a good one it is worth fixing up, but I would not invest a lot of money in it.

Latest posts

Back