Seasoning question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnf0929

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Obviously if time and wood supply are abundant in the spring that is the best time to split and stack for recommended time but will wood split in June/July be considerably less seasoned in Dec/Jan than wood done in March is now due to shorter days and colder temps?

If I split wood in May- June and plan on burning it the following winter, I split it small and stack it in a cross pattern, let it get sun and wind, then cover the top of the wood in sept. It's doesn't get as dry as if you let it sit for a year or two but it will burn. A lot also depends on the type of wood. Oak is slow to dry.

all 10 cords I have were split and stacked between april up until now. I am going to burn most of it this winter. I would say 70% of it is red oak, 20% hickory, and 10% other crap, maple, box elder, etc. It might sizzle in the wood stove a little, but I can live with that.

I'm just hitting my stride with this firewood thing due to having two little ones and working on a new house for the past two years so most of the wood I have was done this summer. Funny thing is is after a few months it looks a lot like the "seasoned" wood I've bought in the past.

I'm just hitting my stride with this firewood thing due to having two little ones and working on a new house for the past two years so most of the wood I have was done this summer. Funny thing is is after a few months it looks a lot like the "seasoned" wood I've bought in the past.

Just because it looks seasoned on the outside does not mean that it is down to optimum moisture all the way through the wood (around 20%, or less). After a month of sitting it can look seasoned on the outside, but wont be dry enough to burn. Of course it all depends on type of wood, how you cut and split it, and how much heat/sunshine the wood gets.

There are a lot of variables involved with seasoning. I can get away with that because of the dry heat and low precipitation we have here. Others results aren't so favorable after only 5-6 months.

Hopefully someone close to your area will respond with their experience on this.

dnf0929 sorry I don't think it would be seasoned. But if you're going to use it keep you fires on the hot side to minimize creosote buildup...

...no slow burns for you!

The rule of thumb here is have your wood split and stacked buy no later than April if your going too use it that winter. This wood usually is cut into rounds and stacked too be split in the fall of the pervious year. As mentioned this method works fine except for oak species which are usually a year or more.:cheers:

Latest posts

Back