See what y'all think on this

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

popwarlick

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Would sherrilltree be the one to put me a rope bout 12 ft. Long with eye on each end together for a rope to balance limbs say over a house with the use of a prusik.What length y'all think,size,size of prusik,etc.Limbs would vary from 150 to 400 lbs.What do y'all think

How you going to use it like a spider leg? I don't think a splice is needed. I use a piece of three strand tie each end off on the branch I want to balance, then using a steel figure 8 on the end of a rope attached with a steel caribiner, I hook the figure 8 in the middle(or where ever)of the line I have tie off on the branch. It'll balance it perfect. I'v used it off of cranes like that too on some big limbs and it works like a charm.
What's the reasoning behind splices on each end?

How you going to use it like a spider leg? I don't think a splice is needed. I use a piece of three strand tie each end off on the branch I want to balance, then using a steel figure 8 on the end of a rope attached with a steel caribiner, I hook the figure 8 in the middle(or where ever)of the line I have tie off on the branch. It'll balance it perfect. I'v used it off of cranes like that too on some big limbs and it works like a charm.
What's the reasoning behind splices on each end?

what stops the figure 8 from sliding along the three strand you tied to the limb? Like if the limb started to tip ,say brush end going down, wouldnt the figure8 slid towards the butt?

what stops the figure 8 from sliding along the three strand you tied to the limb? Like if the limb started to tip ,say brush end going down, wouldnt the figure8 slid towards the butt?

It shouldn't with tension on it. Same as if a groundie puts tension on the line you are coming down on, on a figure 8.
I've never tried Beast's figure 8 spiderleg method, but it sounds simple and efficient.

It shouldn't with tension on it. Same as if a groundie puts tension on the line you are coming down on, on a figure 8.
I've never tried Beast's figure 8 spiderleg method, but it sounds simple and efficient.

Cool. Cant say I ever tried to slid down a tensioned line on a figure8 before. had no idea. I am gonna try it sometime on some limbs that I can experiment with.

I was worried about it slipping the first few times I tryed it too. That's why I started using 3 strand at first, thinking it might hold better, but its not necessary. You still have to get it more or less centered. I keep slack in the rope that goes through the eight, where it goes around the big ring on the bottom, pulling both ends from the middle. Then when I tighten the rope it self centers.
I don't use it that often, but the times I do, it works perfect.
I got the idea from watching a self leveling device a friend designed for use on his crane. On the crane a large limb cradled like that
might only move an inch from the position it was cut at.

Cool. Cant say I ever tried to slid down a tensioned line on a figure8 before. had no idea. I am gonna try it sometime on some limbs that I can experiment with.

Thats why I always carrie a figure 8 on me when I climb. If you or another climber was injured, once hooked in, some one from the ground can safely lower you or a incapacitated climber out of the tree.

May not have been clear

What I was thinking was to have a eye on each end of the rope,use a carabiner in each eye to hook up to each end of th e limb.Then use a prusik to balance the limb and hook the prusik into the rig rope or Crain hook.

Only problem I see with that is ever branch is going to be a different size, right. and some times you may need more or less slack in the line. With spliced ends your fixed at a certain length. Very little adjustment so your limiting it. You need a few to cover all situations.
Classic Spider leg is to have one end to fix to branch(it could be spliced) then the other is used as a prussic off the lowering line, and adjusted up or down as needed to balance load. Once you get the hang of it you can change the center of balence in some situations to make the limb slowly turn or make it shift its load opposite what it is, little tricks that have their place.

Works perfect

I hadn't thought of using a prusik like you was talking bout. Couldn't have worked better,thanks and saved me some bucks.Way better than what I was talking bout

Back