Seeking advice on particular job

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BondoJones28c

Reaction score
First off, if this is the wrong place to post this let me know. I've been working at the same property for the past few days basically cutting every tree out of the area. I keep running into a particular tree that I'm not 100% sure how to attack. It's a Bur Oak that's 49" in diameter at chest height. 2409.jpegAround my area, trees this big around are few and far between and this is the first time I've been asked to take a tree this old and big out. Side note, after punching the numbers I figure the tree to be about 245 years old give or take by the standard growth rate which is another reason trees like this are rare around here. Anyway, the owner said that the shed right beside the tree is junk and he is going to topple it at some point so damage to the building isn't a concern. I just want to get it on the ground as safe as possible for my guys and myself. My biggest saw is an MS461 that's had some work done to it and I've got a 28" bar I can slap on it as well so I'm confident in my equipment being able to handle it. I just want to hear from the guys with experience in the bigger wood as far as plan of attack. I'm also equipped and capable of climbing. I figured I'd climb and limb it to narrow it out and then notch, back cut, and wedge it over like I would something smaller. Maybe tie it off to make sure it falls where I want it. I'm interested to hear your thoughts on this though. Is there anything I should watch out for due to the size that I normally wouldn't? I know my cuts are going to be critical so I need to take my time and do it right. Any thoughts or tips are greatly appreciated

Get permission to crush the shed in writing.

Then, I agree with @ChoppyChoppy just fell the thing. Any reason it can't just fall right at where you stood to take that picture?

Doing that with a 461 isn't gonna be fun... 881 or Husqvarna 3120 is the right saw for that - I'd consider 661 or Husqvarna 395 to be minimal.

Yeah, no reason to climb and or limb. Only way I'd cut a limb or two on that would be if I could do it safely from the ground and help the tree to fall in one direction. I also see the tree wanting to fall toward the camera direction, but it's real hard to judge that without being there.

That being an open-grown tree with wide canopy, it's not going to want to fall easy. Even with just a tiny strip of holding wood, that thing will want to stand in place. I'd put a rope on it, tension the hell out of it, and then cut. The hell with the shed. But you can probably spare the shed if you pull the tree.

Be sure to have the escape path well cleared. With a canopy that wide and the possibility it will not land exactly where expected you do not want to stumble when it starts to go.

Ask him if he wants you to target the shed with the tree, if it’s at all inclined to fall that way.

Two birds, one stone, more fun.

If you aint in a hurry ( and its never good to be) there is no reason NOT to set a rope or cable up high and get some tension in the direction you want it to go. Something that old might be rotten or hollow inside and it would be no fun to have it sit down on your bar particularly if you have to work both sides of the trunk because its bigger than your bar.

Of course it is near impossible to tell from a picture if that tree has got a direction it wants to go. All I can see is it appears wider than it is tall so if you drop it in one piece, its not going to lay flat when it lands.

Felling that in one from the base will do nothing except make the job more dangerous. It will go over about 30 degrees max then sit loose on the stump (propped up by the lower limbs) with you unable to safely reach/process the limbs and then trunk...not a good situation to be in.
I think your plan is a better one. It all depends on being a climber. I would climb the tree and remove all the limbs to leave a naked trunk; whilst at the top fit a pull rope and then fell the trunk in one.
This assumes the tree is healthy enough to climb.

Its loaded very heavy on the shed side plus like others have already said, those stout branches will hold the trunk high up off the ground when it tips over, spring back is very possible as well. Lop all the branches off that sucker, then fell the trunk in its natural lean direction, no pull rope or cable needed on a bare trunk.

Too bad that big old giant has to come down. The squirrels and deer won't be happy come fall.

What are the plans for the wood from the tree? If it's going to get trashed drop it on the shed then toss a match on the mess.

Your 461 won't have a problem with that tree. I dropped a similar spreading white ash that was 52" DBH with my old homie super XL and 24" bar.

Back