Seen a 088 today

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pacific

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was at the local rental shop today which is a Stihl dealer anyhow they had a brand spanking new 088 put together with a 36" bar. Its the first time I seen a 88 and what a brute of a saw man its big they had a brandnew 66mag beside it and the 88 dewarfed it :eek:

The 66 would be considered a big saw but the 88 takes the cake I sure hate to pack that saw all day long I doubt you could use it falling all day long.

How long of a bar can you run on the 88 the 36" bar seemed a bit too short you must beable to run a 38-40.

Steve here...
Stihl says the 088 will take up to a 47 inch bar, but that dosen't mean you could'nt go longer. The 090 takes up to a 59,acording to Stihl. The 090 has 4 or 5 pounds on the 088. The two saws make my 066 look like an 025.
Steve

Is the 084 the same size as the 088? I have seen some of them in my local shop from time to time.

Yep, there the same size, I think the combustion chamber is different as well as the flywheel... I would leave this question to the engine builders on this site.
Steve

I've seen pics on Madsen's website of people running 84'' plus bars on 088's!!!

The 088 that my first boss had came with a smaller bar, but he also had one that was 60 inches long. What a brute of a machine; I used to had carrying the %$@! thing up and down the cellar stairs.

where I use to work they had an 084, I runtienly rip cut w/ a 48'' bar in hard woods. Burying it with no problems. She Kicked back once.......ouch! messed up the old thumb

I have a 660 with a 42" bar, and I haven't run into anything that it couldn't cut yet. Unless you are logging I think a 088 is kind like a raised pickup, kind of cool but unnecessary.

stehansen said:
I have a 660 with a 42" bar, and I haven't run into anything that it couldn't cut yet. Unless you are logging I think a 088 is kind like a raised pickup, kind of cool but unnecessary.

or milling... then there is no subsitute for brute power (other than a good ripping chain).

Pacific, one of my local dealers had an 084 or 090 can't remember which when I was a little kid with a 59" bar...wow what a beast. I was just 7 but man that thing made an impression on me! Dude I couldn't pick it up I wonder if I could handle it now or if I'ma a girly man. I think I know you from another forum...oilbirners and the diesel stop?

My modded 3120 pulls the 5 foot bar with ease.

I met a fellow who use to do tree work in Cali. He has a couple 090's, and has a 12 foot bar!!

rbtree said:
My modded 3120 pulls the 5 foot bar with ease.

I met a fellow who use to do tree work in Cali. He has a couple 090's, and has a 12 foot bar!!
Do you mean he has a double headed 12' bar, or do you mean a single head?

It has been my finding that the 088 is more of a recreational type saw as opposed to a high production utility type tool.
Yup!
John

I think it was Madsens that had a picture of sombody bucking a big coastal redwood with a huge custom made Cannon bar that must have been at least 8 ft long.
Can you imagine,the chain would take about 1/2 a minute to make one revolution.It would take a box of files and a 12 pack to file the chain. :rolleyes:

The 088 is more of a show off type of saw, especially for sawed off runts like myself.
It always comes in handy for sawing out "green gold".

I'm a faller, I'm a bucker, I'm a mean Mutha Phuker! :blob2:
John

Al Smith said:
I think it was Madsens that had a picture of sombody bucking a big coastal redwood with a huge custom made Cannon bar that must have been at least 8 ft long.
Can you imagine,the chain would take about 1/2 a minute to make one revolution.It would take a box of files and a 12 pack to file the chain. :rolleyes:
Al, not only that, but can you imagine the chain sag, chain throws and lack of lube?
John

How would I,a poor lowly dweller of a 12 by 60 mobile home ever start a website.Gezz,I'm too poor to pay attention. :dizzy:

Al Smith said:

Al,

I may be wrong (I am daily) but I believe you may be thinking of Bailey's. I scanned the pictures that were on the front and back covers of their 1985 catalog. I also included the story that was on the inside cover. I believe this may be the same tree as the one used in the Stihl poster. I have the poster here also.

Bill

Bill G said:
Al,

I may be wrong (I am daily) but I believe you may be thinking of Bailey's. I scanned the pictures that were on the front and back covers of their 1985 catalog. I also included the story that was on the inside cover. I believe this may be the same tree as the one used in the Stihl poster. I have the poster here also.

Bill
Here it is .I was mistaken as it was a 3120 Huskey and ceder instead of coastal redwood.

Latest posts

Back