Sel-loading trucks or trailers [WHAT DO YOU RECOMMEND?]

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Dill

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I saw what looked like a 5-ton Chevy flatbed with a self-loading arm mounted near the cab. It was a flatbed with forks added. Looks like it could only handle a 12-foot log. I also recently saw one of the trailers sold by Bailey's since they are just a little ways done the road in Laytonville, Calif.

What do you guys have, or prefer?

I load my logs with an 863 Bobcat w/a grapple bucket, works good.
I know a guy who has an 18' 20k dump trailer with a loader that I think came from Bailey's, it seems to work good.
Someday I hope to have a self loader on my trailer.

Andy

What do you guys have, or prefer?

I use a loader tractor and running gear...

standard.jpg

The thing i have against the grabble arms is, they won't pick up very much and if it's very far away from the trailor they pick up a lot less! I guess that's ok if you live where all the trees are small or average sized softwoods, but it would never do for me as i saw quite a few bigger hardwoods...

DM

buy an old wrecker

I picked up a 1982 Ford f350 that had been used as a wrecker for $200 and put about $400 more into it to get it running and presto---I can pick up the log and load it onto my 16' flatbed trailer and bring it home, unload it and set it on my mill. The pic shows it with a 36" Deodar Cedar 16' long.

I have the loader that Baileys sells. I have had it for 4 years now. I had it mounted on a car trailer and I welded some sides on it. It works fine for me. I like the fact that I can unhook it and leave it home if I don't need it for that job. It is also better in that there is no special licensing and it will run all day on a gallon of gas (it has an 11 hp motor). The 11 hp motor is the bigger of the ones made for it and I find that it tends to be touchy with the controls as there is no hesitation or sluggishness, if you touch the lever it is there right now no matter how heavy the load. That can be dangerous as it can throw things or whip logs and brush around. But I kind of like that it moves right now when I pull the levers.
I also like that the manufacturer stands behind their product also. I had a problem when I first bought it and called the manuf. they helped me figure out what was wrong and told me exactly what to do to fix it. (It was minor.) I have never had any problems with it since.

I picked up a 1982 Ford f350 that had been used as a wrecker for $200 and put about $400 more into it to get it running and presto---I can pick up the log and load it onto my 16' flatbed trailer and bring it home, unload it and set it on my mill. The pic shows it with a 36" Deodar Cedar 16' long.

Hey Billstuewe I like that truck! Can you show some more pictures of how that setup is?? I cant really see very clearly how the log is being handled by the truck and I'm really curious!!!

I use a loader tractor and running gear...

standard.jpg

The thing i have against the grabble arms is, they won't pick up very much and if it's very far away from the trailor they pick up a lot less! I guess that's ok if you live where all the trees are small or average sized softwoods, but it would never do for me as i saw quite a few bigger hardwoods...

DM
My old grapple loads logs bigger than in that pic.

My old grapple loads logs bigger than in that pic.

So will my tractor...... BUT, it all depends on what grapple you have.... Many grapples are maxed out at 1500 or 2000 pounds, and that isn't much of a hardwood log... Move the log away from the trailor a bit, and it's picking ability really goes down. So, you have to drag the log, and all that does it add a bunch of dirt in the bark that you will pay for later!

Rob

Last edited:
wrecker

379hammerdown---
Where is Buna? I am NE of Georgetown.
The wench mechanism is mounted to a 1/2" x 42" x 48" steel plate that is bolted thru the bed of the truck to the frame. It will slide out easily if unbolted. Look around in the adds and see if you can find an old wrecker---basically the same thing. You can probably pick one up for under $1000--a new wench will cost that.
Notice the chainhooks attached to the corners of the truck bed. I wrap chains around the log and attach to the hooks to keep the log stable when I drive with it. Another thing I especially like is the long cord on the control. I can be back with a hand on the log as I raise or lower it--something I cannot do when I use my tractor frontend loader.
Bill

Back