selecting chain

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike421

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all, its time for me to start replacing some of my older chains. I have a farm boss 290 that I use for firewood. I bought 4 stink chains about 3 years ago. I forget the model of the chains but they were the pro chains with the high kickback. I believe they were about 27.00 a chain. I also have 2 oregons that I got for about 9you bucks a piece from a logger. What I m looking for is help understanding what chains to get. I want to stick with the a port chain but I would rather not spend 30.00 per chain. I usually cut about 10 -12 cords per year.

Hi all, its time for me to start replacing some of my older chains. I have a farm boss 290 that I use for firewood. I bought 4 stink chains about 3 years ago. I forget the model of the chains but they were the pro chains with the high kickback. I believe they were about 27.00 a chain. I also have 2 oregons that I got for about 9you bucks a piece from a logger. What I m looking for is help understanding what chains to get. I want to stick with the a port chain but I would rather not spend 30.00 per chain. I usually cut about 10 -12 cords per year.
Could you elaborate further about the "stink" chains and "port" chains...:msp_confused:
Even special "stink" and "port" chains shouldn't cost $27 - $30...!!!
What is it you're cutting...??
:cheers:
J2F

Lmao damn smart phones... that is stihl and pro.
Thanks for clearing that up..!!
By Pro chain...I will assume you mean aggressive (non-safety) rather than safety
low kickback which is less aggressive.
Stihl RSC (full chisel) is a favorite on this site...but is best for cutting. "clean" wood.
Stihl RMC (semi chisel) is a favorite here...and is better than RSC when cutting "dirty" wood.
RMC really is good for all wood and doesn't dull quite as quick and easier to sharpen...IMO.
Both should be under $20 at your Stihl dealer.

A lot of folks like the Woodland Pro...cuts well and is less expensive than Stihl.
Hope this helps ya..!!
J2F

Try Oregon lpx chain or woodland pro lp or rc these are good chains for $12 for a loop.

That's what I have the stihl 18" rmc. Buy my dealer charges 27.99 and I just looked on Baileys and they are charging 25.99

That's what I have the stihl 18" rmc. Buy my dealer charges 27.99 and I just looked on Baileys and they are charging 25.99
Well then...I say screw 'em and head to eBay..!!
Now the RMC3 is popular there and seems to command a premium price (is low kick-back)
RSC (more aggressive) but at a lower price...(is not low-kickback)

Just make sure you're matching everything up right...Bar gauge...pitch...# of drive links.
Look / expect around $15-$17 per loop and about $5 shipping.

Before you buy...contact seller and make SURE the chain(s) are exactly what you want / need.
Once you get a good source...buy from that same seller..!!
As a repeat buyer...they will often give you an additional discount..!!
J2F

Last edited:
Well then...I say screw 'em and head to eBay..!!
Now the RMC3 is popular there and seems to command a premium price (is low kick-back)
RSC (more aggressive) but at a lower price...(is not low-kickback)

Just make sure you're matching everything up right...Bar gauge...pitch...# of drive links.
Look / expect around $15-$17 per loop and about $5 shipping.

Before you buy...contact seller and make SURE the chain(s) are exactly what you want / need.
Once you get a good source...buy from that same seller..!!
As a repeat buyer...they will often give you an additional discount..!!
J2F

I was just thinking about the link count. I will have to see what they are. Thanks

The Woodland pro 30 RC should be considerably cheaper than that at Bailey's. Also they will make up loops with whatever link count you request for a bit more than the premade loops.

Latest posts

Back